THR Recovery of 1/29 replacement

Popping in to see how you are doing and to say Happy One Month Hipversary.
:flwrysmile:
Hope Today is A Good Day.

@maryland100
Hello I had a posterolateral hip replacement of my left hip on 1/29 too. I live in Northern Va but know most of the OS in Maryland very well and had a left knee replacement 4 years ago by Dr DaLury in Towson MD.
I have the same issue of desperately wanting to sleep on my side. Even with a pillow between my legs after a while my lower back starts hurting.It is interesting that I have less pain lying on my operated side, but want to clear this with my surgeon before sleeping in that position.
I am still sleeping on my back for fear of dislocation in the middle of the night. I keep a small pillow between my legs. My surgeon says my hip restrictions will be lifted 6 weeks after surgery. I see him on March 9 to get instructions. By the way, Dr Evans at Georgetown Univ Hosp in Washington DC did my surgery.
So far I have been doing great and walking with a cane. I also have been driving after getting cleared last week.
Good luck with sleeping! Seems that is everyone’s challenge after surgery,

:hi: Hi @maryland100
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re sleeping better these days and enjoying progress. Leave an update when you have time. We’d love to hear from you!

Just had my 5 week follow up. Hip is doing well, need to strengthen hip muscles. Sleeping is still a challenge. I build a nest of pillows and get about 6 hours of sleep. I've been cleared to use the pool in a week and I'm looking forward to doing my recovery exercise in water. Overall things things are going well.

I do have this strange pain on the outside of my thigh - feels numb or like bee stings. Dr thinks it is from my back or possible a pinched nerve. If it wasn't for this I would feel great :)

@maryland100
Hello I had a posterolateral hip replacement of my left hip on 1/29 too. I live in Northern Va but know most of the OS in Maryland very well and had a left knee replacement 4 years ago by Dr DaLury in Towson MD.
I have the same issue of desperately wanting to sleep on my side. Even with a pillow between my legs after a while my lower back starts hurting.It is interesting that I have less pain lying on my operated side, but want to clear this with my surgeon before sleeping in that position.
I am still sleeping on my back for fear of dislocation in the middle of the night. I keep a small pillow between my legs. My surgeon says my hip restrictions will be lifted 6 weeks after surgery. I see him on March 9 to get instructions. By the way, Dr Evans at Georgetown Univ Hosp in Washington DC did my surgery.
So far I have been doing great and walking with a cane. I also have been driving after getting cleared last week.
Good luck with sleeping! Seems that is everyone’s challenge after surgery,
Hello - welcome to the club :). Side sleeping is getting better, I use a body pillow between my legs and prop a bunch of pillows behind me to support my back which is where I was feeling a log of pain. My restrictions were lifted yesterday, but I'm still sleeping with a pillow between my legs. I tried my operated side and experienced some pain (dr says it is because I need to build my muscles back up).
I'm walking without cane in the house but take it with me when I go on my walks. I don't think I really use it much, but it is there with me for support. I was cleared to drive yesterday and today will be the first day behind the wheel, just around town.
I've heard of Dr. Evans - he is a good one. Dr. Oni at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore did mine. I was pleased with him and asked him when he was going to do my knees :)

Glad you are doing well.

Hi @maryland100 :wave:
Your 5 week update sounds great!:happydance:
I do have this strange pain on the outside of my thigh - feels numb or like bee stings
I can't remember if you noted the approach your surgeon used.. .I had anterior approach and had those exact sensations...rather intense early on, and then lessening of the stinging with the numbness being the last thing to dissipate.
All normal now.:ok:

Good to know. I had the posterior approach. The sensations are extremely intense and I thought I was going crazy. I'm so happy to hear they should go away over time.

I think the stinging is due to nerves repairing, reconnecting...my unprofessional analysis.
The area of numbness I experienced got smaller with time.. I even thought at about 5 months there was likely some residual nerve damage and honestly, compared to the horrid hip pain, I was alright with that.
I got used to not noticing it and then one day, noticed it seemed to be all normal.:tada:
Lots of healing still happening...
Hope your day is sweet!:flwrysmile:

I've had both of mine done posterior. Both have had pain on the outer thigh, my rt. still does a little. The zips and zings that feel like bee stings happened with my left, not so much with the right. I just attributed them to healing and possibly internal stitches, they eventually stopped. Outer thigh seems to be slow to heal and easy to overdo and hurt. Walking on flat even ground was no problem but any hills or rough terrain hurt it pretty bad.

I had my RTHR on February 6. Still sleeping in the recliner and dealing with ankle and feet swelling. I tried sleeping in the bed twice to no avail, very uncomfortable. Best of luck with your getting stronger and back to normal, whatever that is. :thumb:

Great update...thanks for sharing. It seems you’re doing well.
Enjoy your drive around town today:driver: FREEDOM! :yes!:
Happy Wednesday!
@maryland100

@kymamaw

I still spend a lot of time in my recliner with my feet up and I'm still icing after PT. Every day you will get a little stronger.

Hey @maryland100
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how your recovery is going since we last heard from you? Hopefully all is well and you continue to enjoy progress. Please leave us an update next time you stop by. We’d love to hear from you. :)
Be safe and stay well!

:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hoping all is well and progress is steady. Many more months of healing with wonderful improvements to experience along the way.
All the best to you!
@maryland100

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie