THR Recovery Journey..now on my way!

Seasnail

Country
United States United States
Post op day 2...had my home health PT intake today. After the visit some additional swelling after needing to do the stairs again to demonstrate I can get out of bed and navigate the bathroom. Following Bonesmart tips to elevate leg on wedge pillow and ice, its helping!

PT encouraged me to take it easy and do exercises gently instead of additional walking other than up to bathroom. I feel so strong with 2 good hips I'm at risk of overdoing it.

Trying to take as little Oxycodone as possible bc with my right hip replacement 18 mo ago I got into a rough pattern of nausea and diarrhea with the aggressive anti-constipation meds. So far so good with my tummy...not very hungry so eating 6 little meals today.

Glad to hear you are managing well, having knowledge from your first hip! Sounds like PT is reasonable. Hopefully soon your appetite will improve. Six small meals is a good alternative.

:hi: So happy to see you on the recovery side.
New double hippy in the house:yahoo:
Hers some reminders and articles to peruse.
First days are tough...healing hugs @Seasnail
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to Recovery and Congrats on your new hip. A great match for Righty!

You know the drill so I hope you're resting comfortably and your pain is well managed. Happy Friday....hope it's a peaceful one for you!
@Seasnail

Post Op Day 3

Happy Friday all!
Last night was pretty rough after walking upstairs noticing swelling increased and the surgical leg felt so heavy and stiff when I got into bed. Was able to sleep in 4 hr spurts. Better this am after icing and propping leg up overnight. I think shower + PT visit + extra trip up/down stairs yesterday (for PT) on Post Op Day 2 was too much for L hipster so I skipped shower and will only do the usual down/up stairs once today. Hanging out w netflix.

The PT said I could sleep on the non surgical side w pillow btwn my legs but I haven't tried yet. (I had antero lateral muscle sparing approach so no restrictions). Know I eventually side slept after my R THR. Any info on side sleeping and swelling?

It was a long time - many weeks - before I could sleep comfortably on my non op side. Even with pillow between legs, my op hip just felt like it moved around too much, wasn't stable enough, and began to ache. I ended up tossing and turning, so went back to back sleeping. Actually got used to it! I'd say try it and if it hurts give it another week and try again. One day you just roll over and it works!

Hi @Seasnail
It sounds like you may have overdid it a bit. Hopefully with rest / sleep and continued icing the swelling and any discomfort will be minimal. I also slept in four hour stretches as you mentioned with a bathroom break in between and it felt enough for me.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library on side sleeping

It took me a couple of months to attempt side sleeping and in the beginning I could only tolerate it for short periods of time. Wishing you luck in trying.
I hope you sleep well tonight!

Followed your pre-op thread and found myself in the same position. Having THR #2 on Nov 13th and nervous about it. Hip#1 was done in march and I only walked correctly for 2 months into recovery when hip#2 suddenly deteriorated. Have same emotions as you reading a second procedure but looking forward to walking correctly, I limp a lot and sometimes walk like a penguin.

I also had the same experience with pain meds. What are you doing this time? I took 10 mg at 8AM and 8 PM for about 5-7? days and then cut each dose in half for the next 5 days but felt like I was addicted when I stopped taking it. ..jittery, could't sleep, anxiety... That's why I'm interested in what you're doing now.

What do you feel is helping you the most during the day? at night?

I also had the same experience with pain meds. What are you doing this time? I took 10 mg at 8AM and 8 PM for about 5-7? days and then cut each dose in half for the next 5 days but felt like I was addicted when I stopped taking it. ..jittery, could't sleep, anxiety... That's why I'm interested in what you're doing now.
You weren't addicted. You were taking the narcotics for a defined and valid reason. However, it is possible for your body to become habituated to taking these medications and that is why it's important to only reduce them gradually, to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

Cutting your daily dose from 10 mg twice daily (total 20 mg) to 5 mg twice daily (total 10 mg) was probably too large a step. It might have been better to reduce just one of the twice-daily doses first (total 15 mg).

Post Op Day 4

Better day, tired, was able to sleep last night from 10 pm-6:30 straight through. My surgeon refers to the period 5-7 days out as 'the furnace' with days of exhaustion as the hip starts to burn calories and heal so maybe I'm starting into that phase already. Yesterday's swelling improved with less activity and I've had a shower and brief walks only today with better results. Embracing being a snail! Ice, elevation and distraction w music/netflix helping me.

I tried out laying on my side briefly with pillows, comfy for prior THR hip but not ready for this in my schedule, pretty wobbly.

Pain meds: took 5 mg Oxycodone before bed last night and haven't had any Oxycodone today, my plan to take 5 mg again tonight. My surgeon's written guidance in my D/C paperwork is to try to minimize daytime opioid use esp since I didn't tolerate them well the last time (bad nausea, diarrhea from xs bowel rx, anxious starting w the early doses). He is also prescribing a combo of NSAIDS/Acetominophen and Aspirin. For anyone reading this, do recognize that I had the muscle sparing anterior approach (so less pain expected d/t no muscles cut) and I have known high pain tolerance ie did natural childbirth twice. Your doctor/team will know your specific needs best and have guidance on how and when to cut back on opioids.

Hello on Day Four :wave:
That is some of the most impressive sleep I've heard of at only four days out.
Eight and a half hours straight...wow! Your surgeon's description of days 5-7 is interesting. I haven't heard that. I always heard about day four, which I kind of braced myself for mentally, only to find it unremarkable.

Embracing being a snail!

Perfect! And wise!

You seem to have it under control. Keep on doing what you're doing.
A peaceful evening and Sunday to you!
@Seasnail

Your food is your medicine, your body need materials to rebuild. between the trauma and blood loss it's pretty busy doing repairs, doesn't have extra to use for energy. I noticed a big change in my complexion once my body had built itself back. Despite rumors they don't cut muscles with other approaches.

Post Op Day 7

Doing well, lazying around. post op day 5/6/7. The same home health PT who saw me for my first THR came POD 6 and removed my initial dressing. The wound looked good with no sign of infection and she sent a picture to my surgical team.

Pain meds: I asked if I could halve my ordered 4 naproxen/day because I've been nauseous and she said I could...with aspirin and iron despite yogurt and bland food my stomach was not happy. Still taking 5 mg of Oxycodone at night with 8 hrs of sleep. By evening I am uncomfortable plus my doctor says that sleep in this phase is the priority.

I was left alone today for the day and on 2 crutches not the best at warming up food and getting it to the table. Will have my family make me a sandwich for tomorrow. Walking around more confidently. Keeping my snail pace.

Hi @Seasnail
Glad all looking good with your incision and that you got the okay to drop the Naproxin down. They are quick to make me nauseous also.:sad:
I wonder if your doctor would let you do Tylenol instead. Much better on pain and you can keep icing for inflammation.:ice:
My appetite was pitiful for the first weeks and managing the walker and food was a struggle.
My husband would set me up with some nibbles at my recliner...I loved my grapes and Ritz crackers were a must prior to taking my meds.
All temporary and I think you are going great...baby steps translate into big strides so Hang in There.:ok:

Week 2 :)

Thank you Mojo333 for the encouragement n tips re eating and appetite. Nibbles is a good way of looking at eating. I am using Tylenol and ice multiple times a day and less naproxen with better results.

By the end of the day can feel my new hipster is getting some exercise on the multiple 5 minute house walks. PT called, coming tomorrow --going outside to work on porch steps and our 'survival of the fittest' driveway hill. It means progress.

I got alot of my walking in going to the restroom.:sigh: I tried hard to stay hydrated to keep the meds cycling through my system and keeping our bodies properly hydrated during recovery is very important.
Water helps keep your blood flowing, carries nutrients and oxygen to your cells and protects your joints. As your body recovers from an illness or injury, it sends water and nutrients to that location. If you're not replenishing those fluids, the wound healing and cell repair processes take longer, ultimately hindering your recovery.
Protein is also important for healing...so try to make good choices even if in small amounts.
Hope today is a good day.

Week 2:

My favorite home health PT who was going to take me to practice walking outside got sick and needed to r/s for next week. She was apologetic and I supported her taking care of herself and her professionalism in keeping her germs away from us recovering at home.

A dear work friend brought me lunch and visited plus I stayed up late Friday night with the family instead of my usual 9:30 bedtime so I was more active anyway. Better appetite and pushing protein/fluids, good energy this week -still napping, off opioids feel more like myself.

It is amazing to feel the change in my biomechanics with two functioning hips. My friend commented on how straight I am standing and how well I am walking. (had restricted extension so had swung my body to walk). My recovery has been so much better for THR #2 with a strong healthy hip/leg to rely on as I stand up, etc. I wish the same for all double hippies.

I know December as I phase back into work remotely and PT gait training will be a more challenging time but feeling very positive about having this second THR.

Great to hear you sounding good and seeing that light at the end of the end of the tunnel get brighter.
Hope your weekend is sweet @Seasnail

:hi:
What a great update. Thanks for sharing your progress.
It's encouraging for those following behind you to see it's possible to feel more energized and have confidence in a brighter future at only 11 days post op. You're doing great, keep it up and have a lovely weekend!
@Seasnail

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom