THR Recovery Journey..now on my way!

You are doing really well and you're continuing to look forward. I saw someone I worked with recently and they made the comment that I was standing talk and straight. Hadn't realized until then just how much difference the new hip was making. Such a good feeling!

Week 3...2 Functioning Hip Replacements making all the difference in my life already.
Why did I wait so long for [HASH=125]#2?[/HASH] Work and kids, and I wanted to go on vacation as a family first.

It has been a week of huge changes: walked outside, discharged from home PT, first follow up appointment -xrayed and staples removed, cleared to one crutch walking in the house, driving short distances, this weekend have gone to 2 kid activities (sitting for 30 minutes then standing as per doctor's orders). Need to not overdo and keep being a snail ...was tired and sore after sitting and driving the first time.

Pain level 2/3 well addressed by acetaminophen, naprosyn and aspirin. Noting some very mild discomfort in the other hip as my muscles adjust. Low back pain I was having pre-op is gone!

Week ahead: First outpatient PT appointment; will be going twice a week for gait training since it was so off. Phasing back to working remotely 6 hours/day. No Thanksgiving travel but very thankful for a smooth recovery.

Sounds like you are doing well and progressing back to life activities. Wonderful.

You are doing so well! I like that you are still remembering to be a snail..yet you are enjoying some activities. Good for you and here you are, not even a full 3 weeks yet.
We all have a lot to be thankful for this holiday.. so glad to see your update.

@Seasnail
You are exactly a week ahead of me and I am encouraged with your progress and what you've accomplished this week. You are giving me a guide to what I can expect next week. I just had hip # 2 done and am waiting to see what happens with both hips once the new hip is more "able". Like you, I have been concerned that this new surgery would negatively impact the previous one 6 months ago. I never fully recovered from hip # 1 before I started limping again with hip #2. I am putting a lot of pressure on hip #1 right now and hope this doesn't become a problem. I too am concerned with my gait.
Can't believe you're able to drive already! I'm having trouble lifting the operated leg over the door hump to get into the car. My husband has to lift the leg for me. Any advice about that?

Week 4

The start of week 4 was pretty overwhelming.
I drove myself to outpatient PT for gait training 2 days this week and had to go into work the day in between (Day 21)...I forgot my computer passwords through all of this and IT couldn't reset remotely. Even though my husband was my interstate chauffeur (while I laid down) and computer carrying sherpa it was more standing/walking/moving in 72 hours than I was used to and my hip protested with deep dull aching by the third night. I fell asleep on the couch exhausted, awoke at 1:30 am in pain having missed my 12 hour meds (aspirin/naproxen/tylenol). My scar also had a searing pain, perhaps bc my PT started scar massage...which really helped the first THR but ouch.

(Q&A about getting into car: I drive a minivan (high seat nice) and I use crutches to line up my bottom sideways, and sit, then swivel and lift legs in w right hand on steering wheel and left hand crutch support, then crutches in. Bc THR #2 is the left leg its easier this time. OT showed me how)

Thankful for a few days off to snail around. I washed a few dishes on TG but mostly relaxed and did a short family walk, pain back to my normal 2/3 and 0/1 at rest. Hip #1 has been sore which my surgeon's trainer and my PT say is normal bc of my prior poor gait/muscle compensation...lots of readjusting going on. Both THR anterior muscle sparing approach, same surgeon who is amazing, so thankful to have same Dr for both...PT says looks promising that leg length discrepancy is mostly or completely fixed.

Any tips for computer carts or laptop lap trays for remote work? I have a standing desk from THR #1 but need an alternative for the bed. Enjoying working but not the laptop contortions I was doing :)

Wow, really sounds like the beginning of your week was a bit much. The fact that your pain levels have gone back down while resting the last couple days is telling you something.

Didn't use crutches so really couldn't tell you about using them to get in a mini van. If the OT showed you and its not causing pain is guess you're doing it right. Your muscles and tendons are going to be letting you know they're there and not happy about making them work again, it does get better.

As far as using the computer on the bed, maybe use a breakfast tray that has drop down legs, I'm sure you could find one somewhere online. I have a pillow type thing that sits on my lap and the top is hard like a desk and has a little lip at the end so the laptop doesn't slide off. Again, think I found it somewhere online, wasn't very expensive. Just a couple thoughts.

Any tips for computer carts or laptop lap trays for remote work

Not sure exactly what you have in mind, or if what I use would work for you.
I may have something similar to Elf1. I use an iPad. Do on online search once you're done here for an item called Flippy. It's referred to as a tablet pillow. It has three viewing angles. It's soft, sturdy, lightweight and I love mine for tabletop, using on my lap or even while lying in bed. Inexpensive at $20 and well worth it in my opinion, at least for my typical usage.

I hope you have a nice weekend!

Hey @Seasnail
I hope you're having a good week since we last heard from you.
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary :flwrysmile:
I hope you have a nice Thursday and a great weekend!

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty!
If you see this message, please leave an update. We’d love to read about all of the progress you’re making. Hoping all is well in your world and hope to hear from you soon!
@Seasnail

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member