Recovery in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs0660

supremo
Country
United States United States
Greetings all. Want to drop by this morning. I had my surgery on Tuesday. They had me dangling late Tuesday night. I had very little pain on Tuesday...femoral blocks are very nice. DO not expect to rest the first 24 hours. They poke and prod you every 20 minutes. Wednesday went well. I walked from my bed to the window and then from my chair to the door and back. Thursday morning approval came for me to move to rehabilitation (my choice). I came to rehab about 3pm. All went smooothly compared to the last time. I have no pain unless I bend too quickly or PT is working on ROM. I have showered, brushed my teeth, washed my hair and feel like a whole person. Food is tasteless...but my appetitte is not very big...even dark chocolate is not sparking my sparkler. :gphg:

I am ready for a nap now!

Glad it's going well for you!!! Wishing you a fast recovery.

WOW! It sounds like you are doing great! The pain meds really do mess with your appetite. But you stay on them---keep pushing the button. I didn't get to shower for quite some time...silly little spnge baths. I am very happy for you!

Tim C.

DO not expect to rest the first 24 hours. They poke and prod you every 20 minutes.
Yeah, hospital is no place to be when you feel ill! :evil:

But you're doing well, there, honey. Good for you!

Im glad to hear you are doing okay..hospitals are so noisy ,,and sleep ?? forget about it!!!! Soon you will be in your own home and will be sooo mich better!

Barb, congrats . I'm glad this is going so well. When i had my hip done i remember my surgeon coming in first thing in the morning , as he left, he said go back to sleep sleepyhead.
Well i figured out the next day , a nurse had given me trazadone ( I use it to sleep , it is a mild antidepressant that knocks me out) in the am. So i was asleep all day. Pt gave up trying to keep me awake!!!
judy

Greetings all. Want to drop by this morning. I had my surgery on Tuesday. They had me dangling late Tuesday night. I had very little pain on Tuesday...femoral blocks are very nice. DO not expect to rest the first 24 hours. They poke and prod you every 20 minutes. Wednesday went well. I walked from my bed to the window and then from my chair to the door and back. Thursday morning approval came for me to move to rehabilitation (my choice). I came to rehab about 3pm. All went smooothly compared to the last time. I have no pain unless I bend too quickly or PT is working on ROM. I have showered, brushed my teeth, washed my hair and feel like a whole person. Food is tasteless...but my appetitte is not very big...even dark chocolate is not sparking my sparkler. :gphg:

I am ready for a nap now!

Congratulations on your new knee. I didnt mind the poking and prodding so much, since I wasnt sleeping at all. I think the night nurses liked having me there, since they always had someone to talk to.:hehe:

they removed my pain pump on day 2 and started me on Oxycontin every twelve hours, plus oxycodone and hydroxyzine every 4 hours. That kept me very comfortable thoughout my stay.

Just try to not make the mistake I did in trying to get off the strong pain meds too early. I'm 4 weeks out and still need 2 norco every 4 hours if I want to be comfortable.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted. Especially when you are having a rough patch. The great people here commiserate when we vent and it seems there is always someone that knows just the right thing to say.

Dan

Oops, edited to add: I see you've been through tis before, so I reckon you know the drill.

Hi Barb, so pleased you are doing so well.I'm also doing well this time, et staples out tomorrow when I see my surgeon. Already have 98 ROM and zero extention, so different from last time.

It is a bit up and down painwise, but I am able to get along without narcotics this time, they made me really sick this time.

How long are you in rehab?Take care. ((((HUGS)))) Sue xx

Thanks all...I need all your encouragement today. Been a bundle of "potential tears' most of the day. Got up this am, had to get up and ready for the day. Twas spit shine day at Rehab so brush your teeth and hit the high spots. I got the dressing changed. My incision looks really good (lots of staples...but they come out on Tuesday 22nd. Had half hour of PT and finally got the confusion about my brace cleared. I am to wear my brace when my leg it loadberaing. -Otherwise, I can have it off.

My progress (I think) has been slowed my progress with rebuilding my quad muscle. Every tried to do leg bends with a splint?? Does nothing for the quad muscles.

Last night and tonight I was up in the wheelchair WAY too long. It puts terrible pressure on my calf muscles, and ankles. Last night I requested a bed transfer and it took 1 hr. Took two pain pills till my discomfort level returned to 3-4 from7-8. Similar problem tonight which took 45 minutes to get transferred to bed. Tonight when I call for pain meds, she came and explained it would be just a few minutes because the new computer they put in today would not accept her key!!! She helped me into bed and within 5 minutes I had drugs. I asked her if I needed to pocket some drugs tonight since the rest of the computer system goes back up tomorrow.

Moral of the story is advocate for yourself and do not let your pain get that out of control because it takes quite awhile to get it back in control.
Barb

PS...I forgot to mention in OT we made Banana Nut muffins for therapy. Good reward!!!

70 flexion
6 extention.

Did stairs for the first time in 2 years.!:evil:

Hi Barb. Sounds like you are hanging in there. I know tomorrow will be a better day, especially, if they keep a check on those pain pills!!

Barb,
So glad to hear that you are doing well. Hope your recovery keep going nice and smoothly.

Hi, Barb...I'm so proud of you for speaking up and making sure you got the meds you needed (and a bed change!). Advocacy is soooo important. I know things will get better for you. Hang in there!!

Hey Barb, Just you continue to speak up for yoirself girl. Gotta say I had great nursing care this time around though (food was un edible though).

Good ROM for early days, good for you and congrats on the stairs too.

Thinkig of you. get my staples out tomorrow, yeah!!

((((HUGS)))) Sue xx

Hey Sweetie how are you..I wanted to come over and see how you were doing..........Im lgad you seem to be ok with no major complications...Glad you got some muffins......Take care and hopefully this one will go real smooth you are a tough cookie.......rmember that..............take it easy..........Im pullin for ya........:)

I get so outraged when nurses think that just because they can't log into the computer, it doesn't matter that the patient has to wait! Get someone else to get into the system, for pity's sake! Members of my staff who seemed to set more importance on the computer than the patient's need for meds used to get a real tongue lashing from me! :hissy:

I had a RUFF night last night. Took my pain and sleeping pill about 11pm.
12:45 woke up at Pain level was :shk:8:shk: in the middle of my knee. No more drugs available until 3:45am. I did take another sleeping pill which at least put me out of misery for a few hours. Got my pain drugs and was good until the super sunshiny occupational therapists arrived for shower ime. It was a good thing....my goal for today is to keep pain controlled all day

Barb....I certainly remember those nights (and days sometimes) when I would count the hours until the next pain dose. It's the pits!!! But....it does lessen with a little more time. Be sure you are icing and elevating when pain comes like that. It can help. I used to sleep with my ice packs every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker