Recovery from partial knee replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

skier

I am a 49-year old active women and I had bilateral partial knee replacements (femoral-patella) 7 months ago (May 2008). I gained full range of motion in my knees with in a few weeks and have been diligently doing strength training; however, I still have trouble getting up from a chair and going down stairs. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever fell normal again. I am planning on skiing this winter and am getting very nervous about it. Does anyone have any idea of how long it may take for me to feel confident in my knees? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Skier, I had a right TKR last Jan. My Dr. used to say that recovery would take one year. He now believes the time is more like 1 1/2 years IF the patient works hard at it.
You might need to modify your strength training regime...I would suggest a personal trainer at a gym who understands what you've been through and what your goals are.
I go to the gym about six days a week. Alternate upper body with lower body on different days.

Skier

I skied 34 days last year, had a TKR 3/18 and worked my butt off to be able to ski this
season. So far I've skied 6 days in everything from groomed blues to 8 inches of powder
and bumps. I've had more knee flexibility after TKR than before so I actually am skiing better after than before. HOWEVER: the big issue is how much quad strength do you have?
I think if you can walk up a flight of stairs 2 stairs at a time you are probably ready for
skiing.

Skier

Welcome to bone smart.
I had a hip replacement on June 6th and am now entering the knee world. I am having a knee scope and possible microfracture surgery next week.
I have stage 4 chondromalacia and am very active.
I am very curious to hear about your patello femoral replacements and where you had your surgery. I had read they were for more sedentary people.

I do know a lot depends on quad strength.
I hope you get some good info from the wonderful knee people.
Welcome
Judy

skier, has your quality of life improved though? I do mountain biking before mine, but could not walk up the stairs as at least with a bike we have gears to help the knees... but its good to hear you may be skiing so soon

hmm - 8/9 months seems a bit soon to me even making allowances that you have had partials but you HAVE had a bilateral. I think you're right to feel nervous. Can you not put it off for another 2-3 months at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom