Bilateral TKR Recovery Diary

i am sorry to hear that Roy, I hope you mend quickly.
My husband, has broken his collar bone twice, once one a bike, next on a dirt bike, but no surgery, just kinda a funny look to his collar bone.
Hang in there:flwrysmile:

Awe Roy, so sorry you took a tumble! :bicycle2: I wish you speedy healing and little pain! Next riding trip, spring! :thumb:

Bum luck Roy...take it easy and you will be back on the bike in no time! Keep us posted!

Dawn

So sorry you're hurt, Roy. :console2:

I hope your collar bone heals as well as your knees did.

Something finally took you down??!! Sorry to hear about your accident, Roy. It'll be over soon and in the mean time your knees can get a rest! Glad it was only a collarbone and not a leg or worse a knee ;)

Roy, so sorry about your accident! Never broke that bone but had many falls off horses over the years. At least you will be recouperating during the colder months and not when the riding weather is beautiful. Take care!

Something finally took you down??!!
Oooh do I detect a note of sarcasm? I'm sorry if I come across as arrogant - I like to think I'm not...
Sorry to hear about your accident, Roy. It'll be over soon and in the mean time your knees can get a rest!
Over soon indeed I hope, but it'll put my training back once again. Grovelling in the slow group in Majorca this year :sad:

Hi Roy,
Poor you, just caught up with this. Hope it's not too painful and will heal quickly. I'm sure it's a bit miserable for now.
Toothfairy
:console2:

You can use a static bicycle to help with flexion exercises. Here is what I have just started to use

awww.roygardiner.com_images_bcellar01.jpg

Yes it's a child's bike, set up in my cellar on a static trainer (called a 'turbotrainer' in UK for no reason I can understand). The trainer can provide resistance, obv, but I have set it up with none at all.

The reason for using a child's bike is that the saddle can be set pretty low. At the early stage of recovery an adult's bike would be better, with the saddle set very high.

awww.roygardiner.com_images_bcellar02.jpg

To start with you can set the pedals horizontal and just rock backwards and forwards if you can't make a full rotation.

awww.roygardiner.com_images_bcellar04.jpg

Then as things progress you do a full rotation, nice and gentle, then keep going until you can easily turn the pedals at maybe 50-60rpm for 20sec or so. Remember, no resistance, this is a stretching exercise not a training one.

You can see below that using a child's bike that there is a huge amount of scope to lower the saddle more and more to get the level of flexion you require. I expect to lower the saddle by tiny amounts, just a couple of mm at a time, maybe once a week or less often. It doesn't really matter; as long as the exercise is done several times a day (it takes 30sec or so each time) then progress will come.

awww.roygardiner.com_images_bcellar03.jpg

Nice pictorial presentation, Roy! You've got this stretching thing down pat.

Roy, I went for my first post LTKR outing today (day 18). I can't find the post where you are discussing it, but I purchased a skateboard to use to get my knee bend. I want you to know that I have really appreciated all of your information that you have shared with us! Thanks so much! Vickie :thankyou: I have no idea how to send a msg directly to you. I'm hoping that you will see this one.

No bother, this way everyone sees what a MODEST superhero I am...:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks