Bilateral TKR Russian Blue recovery journey

My PT suggests I get bricks and make a half height step on each step
I don't think this is a good idea. There's too much of a chance of the brick slipping out from under you. You'll be able to get down those steps before you know it! Just don't make your knee angry trying.

Last edited:
My husband would agree with you. I guess I'll just have to wait until my knees say yes. But it's so tempting...

At 11 weeks now. Much less stiffness and that tight band below the knee is less obvious. Gait improving as trying hard to "break" right knee as stride through. Got 1 more week of out-patient PT and hydrotherapy at hospital. Will continue hydrotherapy and pay for 10 sessions. My private PT has revised my weekly program, new triple flex exercise (high knee raise done all on toes, cocked ankle, vertical shin, horizontal thigh, alternating leg - makes a difference. Also standing on 1 leg for 2 mins. Continuing 5 mins upright exercise bike. These 3 are my "light" program or recovery day exercises. On OP Physio days, I walk 500m beforehand. OP Physio comprises skateboard, barre warmup incl hamstring curls, short arc quads in chair, stepping over cones, 5 min bike, started very light bench press, and stair training. Then hydrotherapy. 50 mins of each. Plus a third day in week of light program followed by 500m walk. The other 4 days in between are recovery program. It's going up in 2 wk time. Still do heel slides, mini-cycle and skateboard for comfort. Plenty of legs up on pillows and ice. My Russian blue cat Nu curls up beside me. I tell my hydro companions about bonesmart.

@russianblu
Found you & you are a BTKR.. wow that must have been hard...but sounds like you are doing well at 11 weeks.
That sounds like an awful lot of physio! I’ve only had one session in 5 weeks & another this week... just doing exercises at home and walking half an hour every day..
Saw your post about kneeling.... my surgeon says NO kneeling on new knee at all!
Loving the sound of your cat!!! Cuddles are vital for recovery.... :curtsey:

new triple flex exercise (high knee raise done all on toes, cocked ankle, vertical shin, horizontal thigh, alternating leg - makes a difference.
Sounds like you are working at being/staying strong. I’m familiar with high knee raises, but not while on the toes. Would you tell us more about this?
You’ll be in the pool before you know it.
Thanks for sharing.

@marieltha
I have done knee lift to horizontal (not more than) for back problems (sacro-iliac) and it is part of the short warm-up at outpatient PT. The variation is on the balls of the feet and ensuring the shin is vertical and ankle cocked. I only do 3 sets on "recovery" days - so once in a day and 4 times in a week. A set is alternating legs, 5 lift each leg. Bonesmart has suggested to me that the triple flex exercise is not recommended exercise, being one of the high marching exercises. You can find this Bonesmart guidance and link to exercises that should be avoided in their comment on my thread. So take care. It may not be for you.

So take care. It may not be for you.
This is very good advice. We always recommend that you listen to your body with any exercise you do. If no repercussions, then your body is ok with the exercise. If you experience additional pain and swelling, then take a step back and reevaluate.

Thanks for the explanation. I was having trouble visualizing a high march on the toes. I read others’ exercises but do only the ones my OS prescribes. The notable exception, which I asked my OS about and he liked, is the “half step” for gait ( see @ luvcats thread re her PT ). Reading about others’ and reading guidelines such as here on BS, though, is part of staying aware of current information, especially for future needs, I think. Thanks again.

@pumpkin
@Celle
If I want to ask a question of the forum, is there any way I can ensure people see it without changing my thread title to "the question topic"?

You just ask your question, here in your thread. Between us, the staff read all threads daily.

At my 12 wk review with OS, he was happy with knees overall, but he and I noted tenderness in lateral posterior compartment of R knee. It has been affecting how easily or not I swing that leg and bend that knee in walking action. During the examination, he poked and prodded and it felt like a needle being injected unexpectedly into the knee at one time.

Based on his report, my PT has got me on pilates reformer (lowest setting) doing double and single leg pushes, off heel, then off ball of foot - this latter with full extension so heel hangs under bar and then calf raise before bending knees into squat. (also other stuff incl hydro, bike, walking, etc). It has been tough with right knee with tenderness at itb insertion.

Op report noted lateral release R knee. Today pt did massage of that area, on knee, along quad and ITB, then machine massage butt and hamstrings. He then sat me on bed with baked bean can under thigh, just back from joint and towards lateral side of leg, and I did lower leg raises.

Asked where I was feeling pain, tenderness or pulling. On right leg, felt just pull up shin, no tenderness on outer side or bend knee. Tried can on left knee (not massaged) and did feel the pull/tenderness at outer knee. Then did pilates ex which felt easier on the problem right knee. Interestingly he said even tho the "nice" feeling might be only a few days, during that time the brain can begin to think "feeling comfortable" and allow you to relax, protect less, and move more freely, hopefully with a carry over effect.

So the can raises are added to my schedule of ex. It felt so much freer of that horrible pull.
I wonder if anyone else has had that type of massage followed by pilates leg exercises acting like a diagnostic tool, and been given the baked bean can raises?

Last edited by a moderator:
@pumpkin
@Celle
If I want to ask a question of the forum, is there any way I can ensure people see it without changing my thread title to "the question topic"?
You just ask your question, here in your thread. Between us, the staff read all threads daily.
I would like to change my thread title because I would like to get feedback on "tenderness in lateral posterior compartment of knee". Would this be possible pls?

I've changed your thread title for you, but it would now help if you asked your question - what, exactly, do you want to know about tenderness at the back of your knee?

Can you identify any activity that brings on this tenderness? Have you started any new activity recently?
Have you tried icing the back of your knee?

I've changed your thread title for you, but it would now help if you asked you question - what, exactly, do you want to know about tenderness at the back of your knee?

Can you identify any activity that brings on this tenderness? Have you started any new activity recently?
Have you tried icing the back of your knee?

I wanted to see if other bonesmart patients have had same experience of pain in that area and what remedial action they took or were given.

I have had this "catching" at side and back of knee for some weeks. There is nothing I've done that is new, or different, or brought it on. It seems to be my right knee adjusting and recalibrating and the lateral release was done on that knee.

Have other people found spot massage to be useful?

Is anyone doing the exercise of lower leg rise with a can under the thigh, moving up and down the thigh?

I do ice under the knee as well as top.

Thank you

Quite a few of us had discomfort behind our knee, too. Mine was extremely painful for a month or so. Ice helped it some, but mostly it was just took time. As time went on, the pain lessened. Are you trying to stretch it? Doing that too much can cause a lot of pain. If ice doesn't help, you can always try heat.

I’m at about 4 months now (BLTKR) and my right knee has a problem. The outside of the knee joint is tender to touch and it feels like my ITB & hamstrings are tight and painful at the back of the knee. My left knee is fine. I am walking and using an exercise bike. Has anyone else had this problem? If you did, what did you do about it? Is anyone using a foam roller? Is anyone doing massage? Has anyone used a percussive massager? Is this is just a stage in recovery or is it a thing that goes on for a while?

At only 4 months out this sounds very normal. You are not even half way through what can be a year long process of healing. Just give your knee time to settle. Perhaps cut back on all that exercise. Your knee is telling you it needs rest.

I got pimply rash on one knee about six weeks out - either side & along the scar - itchy, tiny pimples started like clear blisters & turned red. I thought it was a sweat rash from towels and ice bags. Then I thought it might be reaction to fysio crème, or sorbolene, or bio oil. Put aloe vera on it. it went, has come back, mainly one knee. Has anyone got or had this ? What causes it? Does it ever go away?

@russianblu you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please do not start new threads about your recovery. Just keep your questions on this thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

The rash is probably an allergic reaction to something. It's probably going to be a matter of trial and error to find out what. Try using something you know doesn't irritate your skin, such as your normal moisturiser.

I'm glad that the Aloe Vera helps to take it away.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads