Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is the list for the rest of the thread.

post #2 Toilets and toilet aids

post #3 Pre-prep for the house and for you

Post #4 dog walking

Post #5 Make Them a Meal scheduler

Post #6 tick list for prepping

Post #7 Books, CDs, and DVDs on Surgery

Post #8 stationary exercise bikes and peddlers

Post #9 Addons for walkers and crutches

Post #10 Icing

Post #11 General aids, cushions and helpers

Post #12 Showering and bathing aids

This thread has links to Amazon. Any image you see with a "click Amazon" logo in it, if you click on the image, it will take you to the item where you can purchase it. Occasionally the image shown may not be exactly the one referred to as there is sometimes a conflict between Amazon.com and Amaxon.co.uk

La toilette!!

A "handle bar" frame that goes over the toilet.
About the toilet seat issue: there should be no need for a riser for knees as the activity is actually good therapy but you do need a frame around the toilet to help you lower and raise yourself comfortably. You can get standard ones, extra large expanding width ones and even one with a raised toilet seat if your own is a little low. But whatever else, you need a couple of strong sides to use when lowering yourself and getting up. Also, in the beginning, stick your operated leg out in front and only use the good leg!

toilet frame expandable.JPG
toilet frame with magazine rack.JPG

A "comfort height" toilet with a larger, elongated bowl

tall toilet.jpg

A nice soft raised seat

seat riser 1.jpg

or a padded raised toilet seat with safety frame

raised seat and frame.JPG

Or if you have a taste for luxury, how about installing a bidet toilet or just a bidet seat?

bidet toilet seat.JPG

Stool softeners!!! You also need know about prunes, even suppositories: read this Constipation and stool softeners

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-prep for the house and for you

Make sure all rugs are secure so you don't slip. Ensure everything is out of your way and put up so you don't trip over anything.

Clear away coffee tables and stools to make a clear path around the house.

Keep easy-to-prepare meals or freeze to reheat. Whatever you prefer.

Make a list of items you use everyday (groceries, toiletries, etc.) and then shop to bring in enough to last you a few weeks. Stock up the freezer, cabinets and pantry, so shopping isn't needed for a month or so. Not that others can't manage a trip to the store, but then you know you're prepared. That way you won't have to worry about getting to the store.

Be sure to try and pay your bills ahead of time or at least have them made out and ready to mail.

Make sure you have your recovery aids (raised toilet seat, walker, etc.) in place before you go - check with your hospital or O.S. office to see what the hospital provides.

Get a pedicure or have someone cut your toe nails before surgery in case you can't reach your foot afterwards.

Have your hair done to feel at your best.

Dog walking
When I was down with tkr---my husband also has a bad back and could not do the dog walking. I had a few friends from church who helped, but they eventually got tired of doing it. I finally called the local high school and the Guidance Counselor found a student who came by every day at 4. He drove for errands, walked the dog, picked up the droppings in the yard and shopped for ice cream if I needed it. I paid him a modest salary---I think $10 an hour. He needed the money for prom and i needed the help. Kismet!!

Here are some places to get help for dog stuff: one: friends---I have a friend who does it for a living and I was happy to use her, but other friends were willing to stop by and take the dog for a 30 minute walk; church---lots of kids in our place and they are really helpful to us old fogies; senior center---a friend needed someone to stay with her for the first week and we found someone at the senior center who needed money and was happy to stay with her for a few days. Again, the fee was modest and affordable, much cheaper than a professional service.

Also, call around to friends who have children---ask for the names of babysitters--people who need money. Finally, in our town, you can call the employment office and they will find someone to do jobs for you there. They do vet them before they send them out--again, someone who needs a job will always take a temporary way to earn some extra cash.

make them a meal scheduler website

People have asked me what has been the most important thing that has helped my recovery, and I can say without a doubt that it has been the website www.takethemameal.com.

One of my friends set up a schedule for my family; a meal is brought to us by a friend on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Once the administrator has set up your site you can send an email to your friends inviting them to participate. This eliminates the hassle of grocery shopping and meal preparation which is a huge help!

Helpful Books, CDs and DVDs

1. Prepare For Surgery, Heal Faster by Patricia Huddleston
Great book, CD is helpful but ordered separately - CD is a bit fast paced

2. Successful Surgery CD by Belleruth Naperstak
The guided imagery and affirmations are great - wonderful voice and pacing

3. Sound Body/Sound Mind by Andrew Weil
It is very, very very relaxing

4. Heal Your Hips: How To Prevent Hip Surgery, What To Do If You Need It by Robert Klapper and Lynda Huey
Guide to prepare for surgery and exercises for recovery.

5. Heal Your Knees: How To Prevent Knee Surgery, What To Do If You Need It by Robert Klapper and Lynda Huey
Guide to prepare for surgery and exercises for recovery.

6. The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief by Amber Davies and David G. Simmons
This is a good book for self-massage therapy.

7. Pro-Roller Massage Essentials by Angela Kneale
Teaches you various stretching and massaging exercises for use with a foam roller.

If you really must, use a cycle for exercising a hip or a knee.
From the very basic to high end machines:

Standard Peddler, very affordable for at home.

peddler.jpg

Upright bike

uprightbike.jpg

Recumbent bike

recumbant bike.jpg

Addons for walkers and crutches

Warning: if you use one of these, do remember NOT to overload it. You need to be able to lift the walker or crutch in order to move it which you won't be able to do if it's loaded with books and bottles! It's very easily done.

First, a tray that fits over the walker handles

walker tray.jpg

And bags for walkers to strap on the front

walker bag 2.jpg

or the sides

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_walkersws.jpg

For those who use crutches there is the crutch bag. If the walker bag is made as well as the crutch bag, it is definitely worth the high price.

crutch bag.jpg

This cane or walking stick that can stand up on its own is especially good when you need to use both hands....no risk of your cane slipping to the floor and you having to bend down to pick it up or trying to get it with your grabber (which would probably not be handy anyway!) It's called the All Terrain Hurry Cane.

Hurry Cane-horz.jpg

5. Something that brightens your day and makes you smile!!
Add a whimsical touch to your walker or cane with bike handlebar streamers!
streamers.jpg

Icing

First check this thread Ice to control pain and swelling which shows many different types of icing machines.

For those that can't afford a CryoCuff, just used bags of peas to put under the knees and ankles. Put them in zip lock bags though because the bags tend to rip open and you will have peas everywhere.

One that you need to collect BEFORE surgery is a bunch of small ice packs that is used for shipping things refrigerated or frozen. Check with your work they may get some. I put two small packs 4x4 in a gallon zip lock bag and it drapes perfectly over your knee.

Velcro straps in the drug store to hold ice-packs on but look in the bicycle shop and find some of those straps meant for keeping your pants leg out of the chain. You can Velcro two together to make it long enough to go around.

You can buy lengths of Velcro to suit yourself from a Haberdashery or online from many merchants.

Rent or find someone who can loan you an ice machine. They work so much better than ice packs.

Stock up on ice bags or some means to ice your leg. As my PT said, "Ice is your new best friend."

Purchase a back support belt and two 9"x9" gel ice packs. The packs fit into the inside back support sleeves. The belt is wrapped around the knee and fastened with the existing Velcro attachments. This totally surrounds the knee, firmly, with ice. The total cost of the contraption was $30, and well worth the money. I used it following a scope, my first TKR and will use it again for the second TKR. The ease of use is exceptional and very efficient. I'm adding a photo of the finished project. Enjoy!

ice pack belt.JPG

General Aids, Cushions and Helpers

This sock aid is made of a flexible plastic and is easier to use than one made of a hard plastic. It's definitely a must have unless you have someone to help you with your socks all the time.

sock aid.jpg

Handy grabber or Helping Hand

helping hand.jpg

Dressing Sticks Get instructions in proper use from your OT (Occupational Therapist) These easily hook onto a towel rod for storage or you could add a string/ band.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_dressingai.jpg
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_dressiaya.jpg

dressing stick.jpg

Leg Lifter Essential to help get your 'now ton weight' leg into and out of bed, shower, settee, etc., etc!

leg lifter.jpg

A laptop table for your chair
If you work from home or plan to use your computer a lot during recovery, something like this could be helpful. Make sure it is sturdy. There are a LOT of flimsy tables out there and having one of those is worse than nothing at all!!

The base needs to be weighted so that it is not top heavy and prone to tipping over when moved. This one is particularly good because it can pivot out of your way when you need to get up. This tray even has a big handle that you can grasp as you're sitting or standing.

This is called the "Assist A Tray"

Assist A Tray.JPG

Chairs and sofas
You never realize how low sofas and easy chairs are until you cannot bend your knee or hip normally. Before surgery, do a quick check, brace the leg so it will not bend and try to get up from the sofa.

The Lounge Doctor
A very popular device for elevating your leg comfortably and properly.
Price correct at time of posting (07/10/2018)

lounge doctor 2-vert-horz.jpg

Read this for detailed information
Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

Have a comfortable seat cushion that elevates you to make it easier to get up and down from a chair. This one can make it easier to keep within the 90 degree rule sometimes required during THR recovery. The foam and gel would be especially comfortable!!

forever comfy cushion.jpg

Here are a couple of inexpensive fixes for when your furniture is too low:

- Get some pallets and place them under the sofa or chair. This raises the sofa or chair about two inches. If that's not high enough, use two pallets. Be sure the furniture is securely sitting on the pallets. You may need to screw some boards along the edges to keep things in place.

- Get some 2 x 4 boards and fasten two to the bottom of the couch or chair. This may be all the height change you need.

Compression

If you find compression stockings difficult to put on, you can consider this Jobst Farrow Wrap velcro device if compression is needs to combat swelling. It's available on Amazon.

1653075318249.png

Showering and bathing aids

You could get in the shower almost right away if you cover your knee with some plastic so it doesn't get wet. I was showering from day 4.

Shower glove
Someone kindly sent me a leg wrap with a Velcro strap to put around the thigh. It's actually for a whole leg+foot, but I just cut off the foot as it was slippery in the bath when wet.

Bath shelf, enables you to sit on the end and then slide across into the bath

bath board.jpg

If you prefer, you could invest in an electric bath seat. They're not expensive and light enough to be lifted into and out of the bath for normal use.

bath chair.JPG

Shower handles.
Suction cup grab bar
OTOH, I found them unreliable and wouldn’t trust them. They were okay for a day or two and then came off in my hand! There is a warning on the box. Also see peoples comments on Amazon. You’re really best getting the kind you fix with screws.

grab bar.jpg

Long handled bath sponge or shower mop use these to reach distant places and not break your bending restrictions. Curved handle 15” long and dirt cheap!

long handled bath brush UK and US.JPG

No Rinse Shampoo Caps – makes all the difference to get hair washed when one is not allowed to shower.

waterless shampoo caps.JPG

Giraffe Razor Extension Handle
Telescoping handle adds 15-20 inches in Length to a Razor Handle - Eliminates Bending at the Waist
Pivoting Head Rotates to a 30°, 45° or 90° angle - Maximizes Flexibility
Two Universal Razor Attachments, Small, and Large - Accommodates the Most Popular Men's and Women's Premium Disposable and Reusable Razors on the Market Today
No Slip Grip with Rubberized Finish - Perfect for Anyone who has Difficulty Grasping Objects
Quick Connect and Release Buttons - Ease of Use

giraffe shaver holder US.JPG

Shower Sidekick (Teal)
Portable Adjustable Shower Shaving Stand - Shaving Ledge - Foot Rest
Shower foot rest allows you to shave your legs safely and conveniently. Engineered for safety with non-rust aluminium and high-grade plastic and specially designed non-slip rubber grips
Use it at home or in hotel showers while travelling
Set-up is simple and can be disassembled to lay flat for easy storage or take on the go
NOTE: THE SHOWER SIDEKICK is only for 3 wall showers with 90 degree corners, not tub-shower combos. See product information for more safety and use information

corner rest-horz.jpg

For those who know their hair will be a greasy mess after day one - take a couple of fancy bandanna scarves with you - it can make you feel so much better to know that you're not looking unkempt! This is just a suggestion.
headscarf.JPG

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom