TKR Recovery #2

I guess she's living up to her name now!

It is exciting to do things that you haven't been able to do for months. Only a joint replacement recipient would understand...
That's right! Initially I had my left leg extended -- seemed to take forever to pull it back towards base of toilet. Just hurt too bad and when you gotta-go you don't need more hassle!

Pia behaved today so I took her to the gym. She didn't feel as tight and heavy.
On Tues at the gym it was not easy to make that first revolution on the bike. After a few times rocking it happened and I biked slowly about 5 min. Then we walked the clubhouse for 10-15 min.
Today when I got on the bike it was easy! Stopped at 10 min....went very slowly. Pre-emptive icing now anticipating her temper tantrum. I think it has to be bike or walk not both.
She's loosened up since I whined about her yesterday LOL
Noticed that getting in and out of car was easy today, too.
Seeing some progress here. Cautiously optimistic. Or grasping for straws:heehee:

Update time.
Biopsies from dermatologist were benign... YAY!
Hubs is back to work. 3 half days/week. He's retired, but loves to work. And he's feeling well enough to do so.

Pia will be 11 weeks old tomorrow and is behaving. I've trained her well :rotfl:She feels strong.

The last week has brought much improvement!
The pain, tightness, swelling is considerably less. Some days no tylenol, other days a dose or two. Driving can be uncomfortable. But, no lingering after effects. And sleep is back to normal.
I accidentally bent her back too far and saw stars yesterday. Iced and elevated immediately. She was fine! I was anticipating a few days of pain, but nada. I'm still fearful of the KBM...knee boogie man. He pops up when least expected.

I'm still being careful. No ODIC for me. Been there done that too many times in first tkr.
This has been a gentle, restful recovery. Thanks to following the Bonesmart way. And having had a prior tkr, knowing what is normal, and knowing this is a long recovery.
No idea what my ROM is. At 8 week appt doc eyeballed it at 130. I only went to PT 4x.

My goal was to have this tkr in the winter so that the knee is ready for late spring, Summer activity.
We live in a water oriented community with lots of summer activities.
And baseball starts Thursday for the Orioles!
Ok, small market team. But, if you're born and raised in Maryland.....you know. Baseball and steamed crabs on the Chesapeake go hand in hand LOL

Newbies... It does get better. But, you have to let it happen. Gentle PT and not too soon along with ADLs rest, ice, elevation will get you where you need to be. And it takes time. Everyone is different..skill of surgeon, level of bone on bone, aggressive pt.....all affects your recovery.

Good news on the biopsies, beachy! Also great that hubs is able to return to something he enjoys.
KBM, :heehee: that is cute. Don't be afraid though, he won't hurt you, he just likes to remind you to go slow for your own good.:wink:
It does seem you've turned a corner and really noticed progress last week. Good things coming for Spring and Summer 2023. Thanks for the support you offer others and for documenting your relaxed approach to healing here for those following behind. Happy Tuesday, I hope its a good one!
@beachy

Congratulations. So pleased all well.
It is reassuring to get good news when sometimes you just feel everything is starting to fall apart......
The last week has brought much improvement!
The pain, tightness, swelling is considerably less. Some days no tylenol, other days a dose or two. Driving can be uncomfortable. But, no lingering after effects. And sleep is back to normal.
That is all really great news- hope things continue to improve.

That’s great news! So glad to hear that beachy! And so glad your husband is doing so well!

This has been a gentle, restful recovery. Thanks to following the Bonesmart way. And having had a prior tkr, knowing what is normal, and knowing this is a long recovery.
I have learned so much reading your thread! If (when) I have to do this again (hopefully far, far in the future) I will be following your example. :)

Thank you, ladies! You all have helped and encouraged me these last 11 weeks. I feel for those having their first tkr and not knowing what to expect. And they don't know about Bonesmart.

Starting week 11 today and it was a busy day.
Pia and I did a few errands and went to gym to pedal the bike for a full 10 min. She hates the recumbent bike, but loves the upright one.

I have an ice pack that stays cold for a long time. It has Velcro straps and I can wear it while driving. Also used it while on the bike. It made a big difference in swelling! The hospital sent me home with it. Never thought to use it when driving or the gym duh.

Looking forward to seeing what week 11 brings!

I believe I have found my knee comfort zone. The stationary bike. 10-14 days ago 5 min was not easy. Then I bumped it to 8. Then 10. Yesterday when the 10 min timer went off I set it for 5 more. Today I did 18.
A lot of you are doing way longer than that, but for me this is huge! It seems to move the swelling out of my knee. If that's even possible.
I ice afterwards.

We met friends at a brewery last nite and had a great time. The knee was fine. But, she was ready to go after 2 hrs.

So much progress in the last 3 weeks! Small victories, but they add up.

believe I have found my knee comfort zone. The stationary bike. 10-14 days ago 5 min was not easy. Then I bumped it to 8. Then 10. Yesterday when the 10 min timer went off I set it for 5 more. Today I did 18.
You are doing great!
I don't have access to a stationary bike but 18 minutes sounds pretty long to me.
I am wondering whether I should join a gym just to get some cardio on a bike.
Glad you were able to enjoy the brewery nite even for a couple of hours. I remember that stage where it was lovely to see people but only in shortish doses. Made the mistake of inviting some friends over for a drink at about your stage and had one lovely friend who wouldn't leave...
I couldn't bring myself to admit how much pain I was in, and paid for it the day after.

@EalingGran
I wouldn't say there is much cardio going on LOL. I don't even pedal fast enough to keep the machine in quick start mode. And there is no resistance. I don't get the least bit winded. I think Pia just likes the motion of it.

You've been keeping up with Pilates so the bike might be good cardio for you. And you keep track of your steps each day, right?
After everything you've been through with your knee you're doing amazing!

I am still watching Nicki! Thanks for the suggestion. So much better than the tv trap I'd fallen into with the news!
I hope you had a nice weekend and I wish you a lovely week! :SUNsmile:
@beachy

@Layla
Hi! I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm caught up on all the old Positano vids and have to wait for the weekly Sunday ones.
We have cable and the only thing I watch on cable tv is MLB. Hubs watches all the various **** on cable. I'd love to cut the cord!
YouTube has so many good informative creators.

Another good series was Queen's Gambit. Netflix, I think. Binge worthy.
Daisy Jones and the 6 is my new binge. Netflix.

Hope you have a great week and Easter weekend, too :flwrysmile:

Tomorrow starts week 12!
Here's a recap on week 11:
Each day has been interesting. I haven't been on the stationary bike since Sat. Might have over done it a bit. Knocked on the door to ODIC, but didn't enter. I am going to gym today, but will stick to 15 min. Makes me sound like a weenie, but those 15 min are in addition to a lot of daily activities.

I'm driving more with less achiness.
Went to Home Depot yesterday. Went straight to the paint aisle, got what I needed and headed home. The knee felt like a huge weight by the time I left. That is one big store! Ice and elevate after.

Went out socially 3x in the past week! In the evening. Which is a big deal after being mostly home since 1/11. Even hubs did well and we had a great time.

Sleeping is good. Except when I wake up with left hip pain from sleeping on it....bursitis doesn't like it. I'm scheduling a cortisone shot.
Also starting back to chiropractor on Thurs. after 3 months off for scoliosis.

Spent 3 hrs at infusion center with hubs today. His nurses were impressed with my mobility LOL
First time we went was 6 weeks ago so I was 5 weeks post op. He is still doing well and his prognosis is good! I spent 20 min walking the halls every hr which helped.

I'm feeling like myself again. There is still some swelling, tightness and aches. But, compared to those first 8 weeks there's no comparison.
I expect that to continue for awhile based on first tkr. But, it gets better, IS getting better. Slowly, but surely.
Hang in there, newbies and oldies. Barring complications, you will see improvement eventually. It takes time.

Went out socially 3x in the past week! In the evening. Which is a big deal after being mostly home since 1/11
That's impressive! Don't think I could manage 3 nights out/ week yet.....
Sorry about the bursitis- hope the cortisone shot helps.
Great post- you are doing really well.

@EalingGran it was just 2 hrs each time. And we were home by 8. I think I was asleep by 8:10. LOL
Really had to push ourselves, but good friends understand if you need to leave.
The weather here helps, too. Its sunny and low 70's here. Do the math for Celsius :heehee:
Makes me want to be outside.
You're doing really well, too!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88