TKR Recovery #2

Is there a diagram to show what flexion angles look like? I'm judging by angle of bend when foot is on the floor.
You are still very early days to be worrying about ROM. At two weeks, you still have a lot of swelling inside the knee -- even if you don't see it. But this image shows the range of motion degrees for a knee joint. Notice that a -10 indicates hyper-extension which you may have had prior to a knee replacement, but it's usually not present after the surgery.

knee ROM small.jpg

Above all, do NOT allow your PT to press on your knee to measure ROM. The only measurement that really counts is what you can do on your own and forcing healing tissue can do more harm than good.

Also, not being able to lift your leg is very common at this early stage of recovery. Don't let it worry you; it will come back when your leg decides it has recovered enough from all that trauma the surgeon inflicted!

I found this chart really helpful in understanding why this recovery takes so long:

1652123217285.png

Checking in on you, Beachy. Lifting that leg WILL happen, in its own time. I know it feels like forever since the surgery but it’s just a few weeks. You’re doing great.
Good luck to your husband on Monday and let your son take over. He sounds like a really great guy.

@benne68 oh trust me, this knee is swollen! And hard. Still kinda ham like, but better.
Can only imagine what its like on the inside.
I'm not working on ROM.I was surprised to look down and see that its very close to 90° which is why I asked. I've not had any PT just ADLs and some heel slides when I think of it.
Thanks for the diagram, that's the one I was looking for!
Yes, I am concerned that I can't lift it, but you've reassured me with that. Thanks!
@gia2cats yeah, the leg lift thing. It happened by 2 weeks for first tkr. That's why I was concerned. Thanks for the added reassurance.
Yes, 2 great guys. I'm lucky. This is all sudden, but needed. We'll be fine.

Glad you had a successful trip with hubs to his doctor appointment today. It probably felt food to get back to the land of the living.
Wishing him all the best with his surgery on Monday. Thankfully you have your son to help out.
I bet you'll love his company. A great weekend to you, beachy!
@beachy

Groundhog day #17
Can't believe this is day 17.
Slept "fitfully" last night. Woke up every few hrs, walked a bit in between, got fresh ice packs. The knee was restless. Replaced lounge doc with pillows.
Low energy day today. Icing and elevating and relaxing.
Haven't needed the pain meds for really long stretches.
2 hydrocodone, gabapentin, muscle relaxer in am and pm. Mid day is either 1 Hydro +400 mg ibuprofen+ muscle relaxer. Or 1000mg tylenol + ibuprofen+ muscle relaxer.
The pain meds won't need refilling as frequently.
I read my first recovery thread for this time post op and they're very similar.

How are the Jackpots doing?

Today is a day to lie back and do little or nothing! You and your knee earned it!

@sistersinhim
That's exactly what I did. Pain ramped up in the afternoon so I took 2 pain meds. Worked great.
Feels like today may be another sloth day.
One day I'm raring to go. Next day hit the wall.
The joys of tkr recovery:censored:

@beachy I‘m glad your knee is behaving. I too have NetFlix and Chill days. Just yesterday as a matter of fact. I too get quite a bit of relief from my Dr Lounger (I think you recommend it…thank you!!!). Right now, I am ChillAxin waiting for my first trip out of the house. We are going to a restaurant for a Sunday brunch…whooohooo.
Go EAGLES :)

@Tino2You
Wow! I'm not ready to go out yet! Good for you!
Fly Eagles! Ravens had a meh season.
Enjoy your Sunday Funday

My ham is becoming a sausage @JusticeRider . We have a new item for the buffet.
Swelling has really gone down. :egypdance:

I can lift the leg a little I still need a leg lifter to put it on the bed. BUT.....drum roll....I can lift it from mattress to lounge doc unassissted!
I'm able to do small chores around the house. I can take the dog out. I just hook her to a tie out and she does her biz then comes in. But I stand out with her.....fox and coyote watch. No small animals are safe around here.
I've made a few meals....easy stuff.
Laundry.....wash, fold and put away.
I don't spend the day doing chores but at least I can do some once in a while.
Ice and elevate all the time.
Compared to this time last week.......no comparison.
Hang in there January Jackpots!:wave:

My ham is becoming a sausage @JusticeRider . We have a new item for the buffet.
Swelling has really gone down.
Yes!! Congratulations on your new Sausage, beachy! Are we talking kielbasa? Bratwurst? Well, whatever is is, it’s going to be great on our buffet!

I can lift the leg a little I still need a leg lifter to put it on the bed. BUT.....drum roll....I can lift it from mattress to lounge doc unassissted!
It’s happening!!

But I stand out with her.....fox and coyote watch
Be careful beachy. Carnivores and sausage are a dangerous combination :yikes:

@JusticeRider hmmm which is fatter? Kielbasa or brat? Its the fatter of the two.
OMGosh I forgot about the wildlife and my sausage! I could fight back with my walker! :rotfl:
It took me a moment to realize the legs were baguettes:loll:The buffet is growing!

@sistersinhim yes I am, thanks! :flwrysmile: But, I know my limits this time.

On the lighter side.....
I straightened up the bed, made sure my leg lifter (bathrobe belt was on my side)
My wee Velcro dog curled up in a tiny ball on my bathrobe belt and went to sleep. Awww

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_140701.jpg
    IMG_20230129_140701.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 82
Oh my goodness! Those baguettes scared me! I think my jaw dropped and I had to enlarge it to see it was baguettes and not some battered limbs. :heehee: Ya little kidder, you! :wink:
Hope you have a great week, beachy.
@beachy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88