TKR Recovery #2

@Montecresto
My right tkr was a good recovery with a few bumps along the way. It is strong and helped delay the inevitable left tkr by 4 yrs.
Totally agree that finding a good therapist is key.
I'll start outpatient PT in a week or two.

@Montecresto
My right tkr was a good recovery with a few bumps along the way. It is strong and helped delay the inevitable left tkr by 4 yrs.
Totally agree that finding a good therapist is key.
I'll start outpatient PT in a week or two.
So have you been out talking to therapists so you have an idea of who you’ll use or just going with the one the OS recommends?

I'm getting a bit concerned. This is day 12 post op. Wed will be 2 weeks since tkr.
My leg is still "dead". I can't lift it unaided.

Still icing like an Eskimo. And elevating.Pain is controlled. Still hurts occasionally, but mostly the tightness.
Ankle pumps .....a lot. And straightening leg into lounge doc. Heel slides...a few about 2-3x / day and only a few inches. Walking around house each time I get up.
So, its not like I'm sitting around with minions waiting on me. Well, there are times..... LOL
I made breakfast (quickly) yesterday. And managed to heat up a dinner.

I was able to lift my leg unassisted by 2 weeks last tkr. Am I behind schedule or do I need to stop comparing?
I need some words of wisdom.
But, I probably know the answer. Its called patience.

Last edited:
@Montecresto
I have a therapist. She rehabbed my shoulder replacement. And I did tkr pre hab with her. She knows how I feel about gentle PT and said she will never push on my knee or do anything to force it. I told her if she tried I was out of there.
Its a small, private practice with individualized care. Like the last one for first tkr.

I couldn't lift my leg up at 2-weeks, but I am not having any trouble doing this now. Your new knee has been through a lot since you had surgery on your left. Every day is a new day, and you will get there. Give yourself some time. Good luck in therapy.

Thanks. Just having some doubts. Or looking forward to the log leg being gone. Do you remember at what point post op you could lift it without help? @Flashlight

But, I probably know the answer. Its called patience.
Yep, and remember what we say about comparing knees! No two are alike. One minute you won't be able to lift it and the next you will begin to so it. It will come, just be p______!
Its a small, private practice with individualized care. Like the last one for first tkr.
Oh, I have learned through Bonesmart that these are usually the best! They have more individual recoveries and that that cookie cutter kind.

I'm getting a bit concerned. This is day 12 post op. Wed will be 2 weeks since tkr.
My leg is still "dead". I can't lift it unaided.
I don’t think you need to worry, beachy. I know you’re icing and elevating (toes above nose) and taking walks around the house. If you’re not already, you may want to get up every hour and walk a bit. At the very least doing it 3-4 times daily for at least five minutes, per the Activity Progression in the Recovery Guidelines, although I don’t think it would hurt to do it more often than that, but not too excessive with the walking. In a couple days, you can be doing between 5-10 minutes several times daily.

Also, if you’re not already, be mindful to stay adequately hydrated to help rid your body of excess fluid, those trips to the bathroom will get you up moving, which can be annoying, but likely beneficial. The movement will help relieve the fluid in your leg weighing it down, making it feel like a log.

Here’s a bit of info I found awhile back while researching Log Leg -

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery. A good old belt to a bathrobe is just as useful and likely something you already have.

Have a nice Monday and great rest of the week! :)

Beachy, It took me a couple weeks too, and you’re not there yet! You know what to do…be patient and one day soon, that leg that seems like it will never move will suddenly lift itself just like magic. But I do remember that awful feeling of looking at my leg and thinking ‘move!’ and nothing happening. It is distressing! But it will do it when it’s ready and not a moment sooner.

@sistersinhim I filled in the blank you made with something other than patience. It ended with ____ed! Describes how I'm feeling now. Frustrated and____ed!

@Layla thanks, I am moving a lot more than what is recommended. Being mindful of overdoing it. The tray for my walker allows me to fetch my own food and drink and feed the dog and just carry stuff.I even watered the plants today.
I will stay more hydrated than I have been. I didn't even think about that.
My yoga strap is my leg lifter when hubs isn't around.

@JusticeRider rude awakening to know I'm not in charge if my own leg

I really want/need to accompany hubs to his doc appt on Thurs and I know he'd like for me to be there. He is getting an important diagnoses after a bunch of diagnostic testing.
I'm thinking I can do it with taking max dose of pain meds before we go, icing in car with leg up, using a wheelchair at medical office.

beachy, I bet you can go with your hubby without too much trouble. I had to start outpatient pt 5 days post op. My husband drove and I sat in the back seat with legs up and ice on. It was about 40 minutes each way and while it wasn’t exactly enjoyable, it was doable. It sounds like it would be worth it to be there with your husband. Best wishes for a good diagnosis!:prayer:

Well…I am sure you can handle the trek, beachy. You may feel wiped out afterward, then again, maybe not, but it sounds like your plan of meds on schedule, icing in car and using a wheelchair will make for an easier trip. :fingersx:
Best Wishes for a favorable outcome from the diagnostic testing.

Regarding hydration back a few posts. I didn’t realize the importance as I recovered. I’ve read that staying adequately hydrated post op is beneficial in the avoidance of DVT and PE. Also since surgery / anesthesia temporarily weakens our immune system, which can increase the chance of infection, water helps keep infection away and also assists in ridding your body of the toxins from anesthesia. So a few good reasons to sip away! :wink:

Beachy, I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 6-weeks. I had quite a bit numbness on my lower leg and it made it hard to lift my leg all the way. I noticed it was easier for me to get my leg up on my mattress.
Good luck going to your husband's doctor's appointment. Getting in and out of your car might be a challenge. Bring a firm pillow to rest your heel on. I ended up using papertowels to raise my leg. I hope it is good news.

Good luck with the appointment.
I take it when you say you can't lift the leg- you can move your feet/ ankle/ toes ok?
I had a load of local anaesthetic in the joint during my operation and I had foot drop for almost 24 hours post op- I was worried there was some nerve damage. I remember I couldn't lift my leg straight very much for about 1 week to 10 days.
I would contact your surgical team if you are worried and just get some reassurance.

@JusticeRider I came home from hospital in back seat and had a plastic trash bag to slide on so planning to do that on Thurs. It wasn't too bad, but I was out of it.
@Layla I have taken your earlier hydration advice and I'm drinking water like crazy today. Added electrolytes to the water. Lots of ADLs to the bathroom.
@Flashlight thanks, hoping for good news, too!
@EalingGran I have complete movement in feet, ankle, toes and doing ankle pumps and heel slides several times a day. Hoping log leg goes away soon. It was around day 12 last time.

What a difference a few days makes!
A few days ago I hit a low point. We all do in recovery. Knee was still swollen big, couldn't bend it, had log leg, worried about going to hubs doc appt, blah blah blah. Wah wah
Lots of good advice from many of you:thankyou:
By today I can bend it, not 90° but way more than before. Still a log leg. I'm doing heel slides throughout the day and lots of ankle pumps. I can do small chores. Very small. But, it gets me up and going.

The biggie is that the searing post op surgical pain is almost gone. Still the discomfort of swelling. Vice grip tightness, but tolerable.
I haven't had pain meds in almost 12 hrs. Just gabapentin and muscle relaxer 5 hrs ago.
My doc fully refilled pain meds today. I know anything can happen and I will need them again.

I scheduled first outpatient PT for Jan 30. I'll be 2 1/2 wks post op.
Tomorrow I'm 2 weeks post tkr.

2 week update
The knee is making progress.
This knee likes to be on the move! It feels better when I walk. Its early days and I have to be cautious of over doing it.
The swelling is better, but I still can't lift it. And I'm concerned. Its as though my thigh won't cooperate.
I do heel slides a few times a day. Flexion looks close to 90° or that's wishful thinking. Is there a diagram to show what flexion angles look like? I'm judging by angle of bend when foot is on the floor.
Went with hubs to his doc appointment today and did great. I had to walk a good bit, but no after effects. It actually felt good. I had my walker and a long lasting ice pack.
He is having surgery on Monday and will stay overnight , maybe 2.

And....I really don't the pain meds as much. Shocking to me! 2 hydrocodone in am with muscle relaxer and Gabapentin. Same before bed. Maybe 1 hydro during day with ibuprofen.

Good luck with your husband's surgery so close to yours. My husband had a hernia operation 2 weeks after my PKR and it was tough for the first few weeks afterwards. We were a pair of crocks together!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom