TKR Recovery #2

I called surgeons office to find out about refilling pain meds since they may run out on Sunday and its the weekend. Learned a great deal about insurance companies and opioids. Like ins co won't refill opioids in less than a week.
Then why does the doc write the directions that will use up the meds in less than a week?:shrug:because someone is going to be caught short if they take them all.

The PA was great and took his time with me. He understood my dilemma being the weekend. So, he added the following and asked me to try taking 1 hydrocodone with the new meds.
New....baclofen 1 3x/day
Increase meloxicam from 1x/day to 2
Increase gabapentin from 1x/day to 2
He will get my hydro refilled on Monday. Told me to keep icing and elevating and add some Tylenol and ibuprofen if needed.
I'm going to be a walking pill dispenser if I take all that. Big pharma sucks.
Rant over and thank you for reading. If you're still with me.

Recovery Day #10. I think. Different yet the same.

The days really are flying by in spite of seeming the same.
Yesterday I was skeptical of adding the new medications while decreasing the pain meds.
Today I'm a believer. The bone searing surgical pain is better this morning! The swelling discomfort...still very uncomfortable. While the outside swelling of my knee is noticeably less I'm sure the inside is very very swollen.
I read my recovery thread from first tkr and at this point I was able to lift my leg without help. Not able to do it yet this time. I could bend it more last time. Hardly any bend this time. I'm trying to bend it without forcing too much.
Do I just keep elevating and icing it should I be concerned at this point?
Patience is a virtue that I'm running short on.

So, I guess if swelling discomfort is my only complaint I'm doing ok.

How are all the Bonesmarties doing today???

Do I just keep elevating and icing it should I be concerned at this point?
Yes, do keep elevating and icing. Sessions should be 45-60 minutes several times per day.
Patience is a virtue that I'm running short on.
Well you are only 10 days into a process that can take one year or longer. Best to accept that you can't rush this recovery. Very early days for you!

@Jaycey
Yes indeed. As much as I want to hurry recovery along I know I can't.

So much for taking any meds today. I've had a reaction to meloxicam, I'm pretty sure. Its the only one of the 4 that mentions severe stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea for side effects. Instructions on my prescription say to discontinue is stomach discomfort. Discomfort? That was an understatement. I hit the trifecta and had all 3. I've been in the bathroom for last few hours with all of the above.

Good news is the knee really doesn't hurt when I'm in the recliner with ice machine.
I haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon so I'm not planning to take any meds for awhile. Defrosted some homemade chicken rice soup for when my gut settles down.
I really didn't need this right now. Or ever.

@beachy So sorry you had a reaction to your medication. Meloxicam is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Many patients can not take these drugs as they can be really rough on the stomach and gut. It's good that you can stop taking this drug. But be sure you continue to keep that pain managed.

I would let your surgeon know you have had this reaction. At a minimum you want this on record so that you avoid the use of NSAIDs in the future.

I hope this eases quickly for you. Homemade chicken soup sounds lovely!

Oh beachy. Nothing but sympathy here! It is so awful dealing with being miserable and sick to your stomach AND trying to function, control your pain, and recover from this tough surgery. I’m so sorry. Hopefully you’ve pinpointed the issue and your surgeon can help with an alternative so your tummy is happier.

This too shall pass :console2:

Beachy, I had the same results from Celebrex and my nurse navigator didn't believe it. I'm sure it elevated my B/P as well. After stopping I felt better. The soup sounds delicious. I only wanted soup the first couple of weeks that and sweets!! I went through 2-boxes of saltines and a couple bottles of ginger ale, my nighttime snack. You are doing great!

Thank you everyone. I'm feeling a bit better now after Imodium (2 doses), dicylomine, nexium, 3 saltines, a little soup and a little ginger ale.
My last dose of meloxicam was about midnight. My last dose of anything was midnight. Just now about 3:15 pm I took pain meds. That's 15 hrs with no pain meds and I didn't have a great deal of pain.

@Jaycey I will definitely make docs office aware of the reaction. nsaids are not my friends.
@InkedMarie thanks for the good thoughts
@JusticeRider I sure got my ADLs in for the day with getting into the bathroom so many times!
@Flashlight thank you. I make my own bone broth and always have soup in the freezer. Theres nothing like ginger ale and saltines for a bad gut!

I’m sorry you had such a bad reaction to the meloxicam. I’ve had problems with it, also. This recovery is hard enough on the best of days. :console2:

I am so glad you are finally feeling better. It's just not fair to have to deal with what you did along with a TKR recovery! :prayer:

Aww, beachy, how awful! I am so sorry to read how sick you were feeling.
Hopefully by now things have completely settled and you’ve enjoyed some more Chicken Rice Soup and have a good nights sleep tonight. Sending a hug and best wishes for a brighter tomorrow.
@beachy

Sorry you had such a bad reaction.
I used to take omeprazole with naproxen to settle my stomach and that definitely helped. I used to take the omeprazole first thing in the morning and then the naproxen about an hour later with food. That seemed to stop the nausea/ sickness and definitely helped with pain.
Talk to your team and see if you can find something that works without nasty side effects. I couldn't bear the constipation from the opiate based painkillers.

Thank you all for the good wishes.
I can say it was a VIOLENT reaction. But, its all over now and didn't affect my knee at all.
The new meds (minus meloxicam) and schedule is working well. Pain is minimal. Hydrocodone is 1 tablet every 4-6 hrs, down from 2 tabs every 4.
Is anyone else having issues with appetite? I have zero appetite. My favorite foods have zero appeal.

My ham is doing well! The pain is no longer that searing surgical pain. Its more of a vice grip from the swelling. Uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Little victories.
I do some ankle pumps while elevating. Just started some heel slides. Can only slide a few inches.

For those that are having trouble sleeping....
There are several sleep hypnosis channels on YouTube. If you don't have a tv where you are sleeping or access to YouTube you can use your tablet or smart phone with earbuds.
It is so relaxing and I leave it on all night. Try Mark Bowden. The videos are 7-8 hrs in length and the screen goes black. Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.

Hang in there Bonesmarties!

@Jockette. thank you,I won't be taking meloxicam ever again. I'll be sure that it is added to my records for all my docs.
@sistersinhim thank you:flwrysmile:
@Layla and thank you, hug received, slept well and today is good so far.
@EalingGran thank you. Crazy, but all seems well after several hrs of sick. I have a combo that's working well. Just had to eliminate the meloxicam.

This is interesting.
My surgeon just called to see how I'm doing.
Told him about upper leg pain from tourniquet.
He said we don't use tourniquet (sp?):what:
I said its from all the banging around on knee???
He said yes.
I’ve been told there is no shortage of videos of this procedure for the interested. I never watched, and never will. My TKR was June 27, 2022 and I’m mostly recovered I’d say. ROM is -02/130 but nothing like it use to be nor like my left knee which is +02/150

The cold winter has brought back lots of pain, I hope that’s a one off for this year and future winters I don’t have this. I’m 61 and work construction. I’m back to running up and down stairs and climbing ladders. Carrying bundles of lumber, shingles, bags of concrete, working the tractor and dozer, cutting, blocking and splitting firewood etc., etc……So, I’m satisfied that I’ll be ok and hopeful that by one year out I’ll have no more pain. And by the way, the pain that I do experience, which is mostly on long drives monthly between my New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arkansas properties, is the worst. I have to stop every 100-150 miles and get out and walk. And I’ll add that the knee joint itself has no pain at all of course because it’s a prosthetic, my residual pain is in the leg below and above the knee.

If I offer anything to you it’s diligent PT with a good, caring, well trained therapist that knows absolutely how to push you to the maximum benefit without hurting you and causing setbacks. It took me three tries to find that person but when I did I stayed long beyond the doctors script of 6 weeks, and even when insurance expired I paid out of pocket because I was getting such value from my PT…

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom