TKR Recovery #2

beachy

supremo
Country
United States United States
New knee #2 is almost 24 hrs old.
So far, it hasn't been terrible. I didn't have an actual nerve block and I expected much more pain than I'm having. Dull ache maybe a 2 on pain scale. I took pain meds every 4 hrs though out the night. Hubs made sure ice water machine was ice cold and I wore it all night. Slept with ice water machine and leg elevated on lounge doctor.
The hospital was a very good experience compared to first TKR. I had a wonderful nurse that stayed with me almost the entire time. Woke up in extreme pain and shaking and she started dialaudid immediately and lots of warm blankets. The pain went away. I had zero pain in recovery. I was in recovery from 12:30ish to 5 and Kelly the nurse was with me most of the time. Amazing.
Anesthesiologist tried spinal block but couldn't get it due to my scoliosis..I was told by Kelly. I sat on edge of table and don't remember anything. No needle, nothing. I had general anesthesia.
So far, really good! Hope it stays like this, but I know its an up and down recovery.

Congrats on knee #2! Glad your experience has been good so far. Isn't it weird how you sit on the edge of the table and remember nothing after that? For my second knee I was bound and determined to remember further, but nope, just sitting on that table then waking up in post-op.

Best of luck with your recovery!

Congratulations and :welome: to recovery! It sounds like you're off to a great start and I look forward to following your thread as you're healing.
Wishing you lots of comfort, beachy! :)

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Oh wow, I am so glad I didn't see the tools! They could have skipped the anesthesia because I probably would have passed out!

Glad it's better for you this time. My second knee was better in most ways, too. Worse in some ways, but overall better. I think mostly because I could actually sleep decently right from the beginning and that made all the difference.

It's great to read that your pain level isn't that bad. I pray it stays that way. You know the drill, slow and easy wins this recovery!

So pain ramped up a few hours ago. Realized the knee wasn't as cool as it should be with ice water machine on it. Removed ace bandage and replaced with light weight dish towel. Ahhh
Getting relief now! No bruising yet, but a bit swollen.
Strangely, walking a little feels better than laying down.

Whew! Had a rough night. It's better this morning. This is the part of recovery that's the beast. It will gradually get better. At least OS office is good with pain med refills.
Its only been 48 hrs.
Newbies......stay ahead of the pain always in the early days.

Praise God you can get your much-needed pain pills. Some doctors have gotten really stingy with them.

@sistersinhim
I sure did offer a prayer of gratitude!
I counted out the doses to see if they would last thru the weekend at max dose.
Sure hope insurance doesn't give me a hard time!

This is interesting.
My surgeon just called to see how I'm doing.
Told him about upper leg pain from tourniquet.
He said we don't use tourniquet (sp?):what:
I said its from all the banging around on knee???
He said yes.

I said its from all the banging around on knee???
He said yes.
I agree. It’s why we have different pains here, there, and everywhere pop up for a long time.

It’s a good thing you are a pro at this recovery, this time around!

My knee looks like a ham :rotfl:. Trying to find some humor in these early recovery days.
Anyone else finding something to laugh about?

Really swollen, but not as painful as earlier. Using lots of ice packs and keeping it elevated.
No bruising. Yet.
Surgeon refilled pain meds YAY! Hubs picked up from pharmacy already. I'm sticking to 2 tablets every 4 hrs for awhile.

Day 4 post op
SHOWER DAY!! Later today I can remove the pretty pink bandage and take a shower. It will be a quick shower. Shampoo can wait. Undressing, standing, drying, getting dressed is enough. I plan to wrap incision with Cling Wrap for shower then let it dry before fresh bandage. Can't wait to see the incision. Knee area still looks like a ham, but no bruising.

In other TMI news......stool softeners are beginning to "percolate"

Pain is controlled when elevating and icing. I had a decent night's sleep and pain wise was ok. I elevate slightly with pillows in bed using ice packs on knee. Its easier to get up during the night to use bathroom without detaching from ice machine.
My beloved lounge doctor. We broke up for bed sleeping. He's sad, but a girl's gotta do what's best for her. He is uncomfortable in the bed. I think its because I'm stretched out.
I use him during the day when in the recliner.

Today is a much better day than the last 2. I've found my comfort zone. I walk around the house with walker whenever I get up for bathroom, drugs, or sometimes just to move.
Pumping my ankles quite often.
The right leg still needs assistance getting in and out of bed. I can manage myself with recliner.

Still not much appetite, but I am eating a little. I do take electrolytes mixed in water.
That's about it. Its encouraging to know the pain is managed!
How is everyone else managing?

@beachy it sounds like you are doing so well! I am impressed by your positive attitude and fortitude. I remember those early days as a kind of horror show, but you sound like you really have a handle on things. God forbid I have to do this again, I hope I can head into it a little more like YOU!

Knee area still looks like a ham
I laughed so hard at this! Reminds me of my pot roast leg :heehee: I totally get it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks