TKR Recovery #2

By now, I can differentiate the muscular aches and pains from the deep pain of tkr recovery.
I'm working muscles that were inactive for a long time, both before and after tkr.
Looking forward to getting stronger and eventually enjoying this new knee!
This is a learning experience and not everyone knows the difference. Your time is coming!

Saw my OS today for cortisone shot in left hip. He asked about knee. Told him all is well and if she acts up its self inflicted. I was scheduled to have tele- health call next week with him for 3 month post op. He said its not needed and to make appt in 1 yr for xrays. He didn't even look at my knee today. He said he saw me walk down the long hallway.:shrug: He's a pretty cool guy!
I'm free!

This is the first day that I've been very active, on my feet active all day without swelling!
However, cortisone shot on Tues kicked my butt. Pounding headache, flushing...my face turned red and so did my upper arms. That has subsided. I've had more cortisone shots than I can count. Never a reaction! Sometimes you just can't win LOL!

Pleased for your progress on the swelling front but sorry about the steroid reaction.
It really is swings and roundabouts isn't it?

However, cortisone shot on Tues kicked my butt. Pounding headache, flushing...my face turned red and so did my upper arms. That has subsided. I've had more cortisone shots than I can count. Never a reaction! Sometimes you just can't win LOL!

I had a cortisone shot this morning in my left hip also, and it has made me nauseous and really tired. I've had allergy headaches so I'm used to those this time of year. Hopefully, both of our shots will be worth them. I'm with you on those shots. I'm so thankful they have worked so well.

@sistersinhim
Its working already. Was able to sleep on my left side last night. So, grateful for that. And headache is gone. My face is still "glowing" but not as much.
Have you had a reaction before? This was first time for me.

Oh yes, every time I get a shot I have flushing. That is a common side effect. I slept on my side last night, too. I was unable to sleep on either side for long. I'd get up and walk and then could sleep on my side again. Last night was wonderful, if it wasn't for the insommia. But, was up before 4:30 am. That is a common thing for me after the shot, too. It was after 11pm before I fell asleep, so I'm a walking zombie. Do you have insomnia afterward? It sounds like you have bursitis, too. It's something that doesn't want to go away.

I had considered getting a shot in my left knee at the same time but decided to see how it does after this hip shot.

How are you doing? Have you noticed the knee improving since the hip has?

@sistersinhim
Yes its chronic bursitis in left hip. You, too?And, (whispering) a little arthritis. I've had the bursitis for several years. I had a cortisone shot in it Nov 2022. No side effects.
Yes to a little restlessness. I sleep, but wake up several times. Had cortisone in both knees for years. Never any side effects.

The knee has been great! But, that started before the shot.
The day I was able to walk around Target I knew I was good to go!
Now I have a bazillion projects to catch up on.
Still dreaming about the Longwood Gadens reunion!

I always did have the flushing and sleeplessness, and indigestion, but not the headache you had. Good deal that your knee is still being a really good Pia! It sounds like you are really turning a corner.

Let's hope we can all get together for those gardens.

Just popping in to say hello!
Tomorrow will be 14 weeks of recovery behind me.
Not much to report. The knee feels good, strong.
I spend hours being out and about. Running errands, meeting up with friends, walking the fur beast. Life.
It starts to ache and swell slightly after a full day.
Hubs is feeling more side effects from the infusion therapy, but nothing he can't handle.

That's about it. So glad I finally got this new knee. And even happier that the good Lord didn't give us a third one :rotfl:

You're doing great, beachy! Joint replacement feels like a second chance and makes all the rough times in early recovery well worth it. Thanks for sharing the good news with us and those following behind.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@beachy

Really glad all going so well. Hope things continue to improve and your husband's side effects settle down.
Don't know much about immunotherapy. My son had chemotherapy a couple of years ago ( good prognosis and all well now :prayer: ) and that was pretty bad but these new treatments seem better??

@EalingGran
The immunotherapy is for certain types of cancer. Hubs is basically cancer free after his January surgery. The immunotherapy raises the immune system to fight the spread of any more tumors. His initially spread from kidney to lung so he was a candidate for it.
Chemo attacks the cancer and compromises the immune system ...more side effects. That's my very basic understanding of the whole thing.
I'm so very glad that your son is well now! That had to be incredibly difficult!

Hello, Bonesmarties!
Its been about a week since I last posted.
Because....there's nothing to report!
I'm into my 15th week post op. It all seems like a vague memory now!
The swelling is almost gone. A week or so ago I was wondering if I had a sweller. Then she just calmed down!
Its been a whirlwind lately. Catching up on things I put aside for 3 months, meeting up with friends and just living life.
I'm so happy that this knee and recovery turned out like the first one.

Congratulations!

Its been about a week since I last posted.
Because....there's nothing to report!
Best news! :happydance: I am happy for you.
Now...go enjoy the weekend! I hope it's a beautifully sunny good one. :SUNsmile:

Hi beachy! Nothing new to report? What? No dragon's stopped by to set you straight? Yayyyy!!! I appreciate your help during my trials and tribulations. It was good to know I wasn't out there trying to figure this all out by myself. I am feeling better too, right after my fourth month. I've been a very lazy girl and it worked, my knee seems happy with the lazy life. I do still have some pain and twinges, but overall I feel like I have turned a corner. Finally! And you're the one who said you started feeling better around your fourth month with your other beachy knee. So thank you for being there. I am going back to bed now, and waking up on my one-year anniversary of December 20th, so nighty night!

So happy for you, beachy!! You sound amazing, and I’m so happy you’re getting back to things you’ve missed. And now you have two beautiful new (and new-ish), perfect knees! I must say, you are a rock star at this recovering stuff :walking:

Keep on rockin’, beachy!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom