TKR Recovering from TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

Sorry Laura, I thought I was posting this on my thread, and my message didn't show up. Will try again. Good to hear from you and it sounds like you're doing great. I enjoy your photography on your blog.

Dorothy

Hi Laura,
That is great to hear! I am 6 1/2 months post op and finally I can go hours with out thinking of my knee and for the most part it doesn't hurt at all. My back is a different story! You give me hope that by 9 months it will be better! Glad you are enjoying yourself! Good luck on your other knee! You take some wonderful pictures!
Cathy

Hey Laura! Thanks for your update..it really helps when those of us who had surgery some time back, continue to check in..this is such a long process.

I just finished month 9 and I also still have internal swelling, which will increase or decrease ,depending on activity levels. I find that if I wear the shoes I wore prior to my surgery if I plan to be active, it helps minimize post-activity backlash. Shoes that are very flexible in the sole still cause a lot of post exercise aching, in my calf and tibial plateau area. I wear my Dansko professional clogs if I plan to walk a few miles, and I am slowly getting the leg used to different shoes when I won't be on my feet all that long, or am only doing errands.

My quad is re-building nicely thanks to my Ballet Barre/Pilates workouts..it's nearly back.. and I have muscle above my patella for the first time in 40 years, now that I have full extension and can really straighten the leg and contract my quad fully. Yay!

My ROM still varies ,according to the amount of swelling and especially heat and humidity, which are a killer. I have about 105 degrees, but I have not been doing any PT style moves, just regular workouts and normal activities. I'm happy with what I have and if I get more, that will be fine too, but as long as I can do stairs and walk without pain , I am the happiest girl in the whole wide world!

So sorry you have to have the other knee done!!! We will be here for you though, never fear.

Hi Laura,
That is great to hear! I am 6 1/2 months post op and finally I can go hours with out thinking of my knee and for the most part it doesn't hurt at all. My back is a different story! You give me hope that by 9 months it will be better! Glad you are enjoying yourself! Good luck on your other knee! You take some wonderful pictures!
Cathy

That's awesome Cathy! About your knee I mean. :D. Hopefully your back problems will resolve soon. Thank you so much for supporting me by following my blog. It really means a lot to see your smiling face there!

Sorry Laura, I thought I was posting this on my thread, and my message didn't show up. Will try again. Good to hear from you and it sounds like you're doing great. I enjoy your photography on your blog.

Dorothy

Thank you Dorothy!

Hi, Laura,
Good to hear your update, and I'm happy that your pain has diminished significantly!
Wishing you the best of luck with the other knee in Dec.

Cheers,
Roger

How are you doingRoger? I'm on my ipad remotely so it's hard for me to find your threAd, lol. Hope you're back at sailing!

Enjoyed reading your update. Glad your pain has diminished - makes me reflect and realize how much mine has too. Though, here I am wrestling with other knee issues and wanting desperately to NOT bite the bullet and go get it done. I'm not ready mentally to consider another year like this past one.

My trip was to Florida/Savannah/Myrtle Beach/Annapolis - driving the Eastern coast and I envy yours to Alaska. We've been talking about it for several years. I'm exploring the Dukan diet a friend of mine used - she looks FABULOUS!!! She lost 70 pounds in a year and was able to stick to it. You can find it on-line if interested. It resembles the South Beach diet my sister wanted me to join her in doing.

Best wishes for your dieting and your other knee.

Enjoyed reading your update. Glad your pain has diminished - makes me reflect and realize how much mine has too. Though, here I am wrestling with other knee issues and wanting desperately to NOT bite the bullet and go get it done. I'm not ready mentally to consider another year like this past one.

My trip was to Florida/Savannah/Myrtle Beach/Annapolis - driving the Eastern coast and I envy yours to Alaska. We've been talking about it for several years. I'm exploring the Dukan diet a friend of mine used - she looks FABULOUS!!! She lost 70 pounds in a year and was able to stick to it. You can find it on-line if interested. It resembles the South Beach diet my sister wanted me to join her in doing.

Best wishes for your dieting and your other knee.

I've never been to Savannah and I've always wanted to go. I have been to Annapolis though! I literally fell into the Mayor there when I got out of the car, tripped, and fell into him knocking his briefcase onto the ground, lol. That's my claim to fame with Annapolis.

As far as the knee, yeah, it was a long road to recovery but the only thing that keeps me wanting to do the other one is that I let my right leg get so bad because I put off the knee replacement way too long. i don't want to have that problem again! I'm hoping if I get it done before then my recovery will be better. Lord knows I can dream, can't I? ;)

I've been juicing my breakfast with things like kale, celery, carrot, apple and then having salads for lunch usually with tofu and a sensible dinner. OMG...not to be blunt (but we here at bonesmart aren't too squeamish me thinks), I have never visited the bathroom as much as I have lately. Sheesh! LOL! I'll look up the Dukan, but if it's like South Beach it's a protein-based diet? I've gotten to the point where I think it's all about calories in no matter what diet we choose, but it's nice to follow a program. Keep me posted!

Lovely update Laura :) So glad things have worked out well for you & well done on making the decision to have number 2 done in December! At least you will know what to expect & I have no doubts that you will breeze through this 2nd op & come out smiling on the other side! Hey! Want to be a diet buddy with me? I REALLY need to lose 15lbs....actually make that about 22lbs :sorry: I was so good for about the 1st four months of recovery but as soon as I was able to drive, therefore go to the supermarket MYSELF, we'll, that's when the shortbread fingers seemed to jump into my trolley! Easy to put on, very HARD to get off again. I'm starting AGAIN today with the thought in my head that any weight OFF can only be a help to my knee :)

BTW Laura, it was my friends husband who fell off the roof, not Matt! If he had of done I'd have been the one pushing him AND would have done a proper job! :rotfl:

Oh!! Well I'm sorry to hear it's Matt's friend, but I'm glad it's not Matt. You two have had enough going on without that on top! And I'm sure you would've done a fine job pushing him off, lol. You Brits!! :)

OKay, you're on!! I need to lose 20 in fact, haha! So we're on! I just made myself a juice of carrot, cucumber, celery, parsley, valencia oranges, pineapple and kale. Doesn't that sound yummy??? LOL! It will be very good for our knees. My legs have lousy circulation in them anyway which adds to the mess, so I really need to take off this weight. I'm going to weigh myself, brb. Yay! I've lost 2.5 pounds this week! I started last week, btw. Still a long road to hoe though. Let's check in weekly ok? We can do it on FB in messages? :) I'll send you one now to start. lol

Great start Laura :yes!: Like I've just replied on FB, I seem to have given into a fresh cream cake so not quite the start I had planned :gaah: Never mind, onwards & hopefully DOWNWARDS! Just 17.5 for you now!

That's quite a claim to fame story you have in Annapolis. When we lived near there, I used to take my daycare kids to the mall every Wed. They brought great entertainers for young people there every week.

Guess I should join your diet club. In truth, I've been following your diet plan the past week - trying to watch the calories in. Yes, Dukan, is protein rich. I've seen this work for me before. My surgeon said, high protein was good for the recovering knee, too.

Hey everyone! I thought I'd poke in and see what's going on and give an update.

My ROM is really good. The bend is probably around 135-140 I think but not really sure since I haven't been to PT in months (thank god). The straightening is probably around 0-3 or so. My natural position is probably not a zero. I'm definitely not a ballroom dancing candidate!

My groin issue comes around if I don't do my exercises. I got lazy and boy did the groin pain come back with a vengance! I started doing the exercises again and miraculously it has diminished. Guess I will be doing these for the rest of my life.

I'm contemplating doing the other knee but am dreading being under the weather yet again. But lately as the weather has cooled off, my left knee is starting to get really arthritic. UGH. Plus, we have a month-long trip planned to asia in early 2015 and I really don't want to be dealing with these knees anymore. So, I guess I should call the doc this week. UGH.

My TKR is almost back to its normal size. I heard that some people take a year to get back to normal and I'm definitely one of those people. It still feels "odd" but it doesn't hurt. OH!!! I did fall on it the other day. Yikes it hurt like a $%^&!!!! I couldn't believe I did that. I stayed off it that day and iced because it was swollen, called the doc but everything seemed fine the next day. I could walk on it pretty much immediately so that was the question the doc's office asked when I called them.

So that's it folks! Just thought I'd check in. I'm sure I'll be back here more once I get the other knee done. And back on my blog!!

Hi, Laura,
Great report! It sounds like your knee is doing well. Sorry to hear that you fell, and I'm glad everything is OK.
It's probably better to get the other knee done sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Roger

Yeah Roger, I know you're right. I'm going to call this week and schedule It for right after Xmas. Tnx for the encouragement! How are you doing btw? Did you watch team oracle from your boat?

Laura,
Yes, I took the boat up there to watch race 3. See the picture on my thread (link is in my signature).

My knee is doing fine. I posted an update in my thread.

Take care,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015