TKR Recovering from TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told my OS didn't use the CPM after the hospital stay, but my flex was pretty limited, so I did use it the 10 days at rehab. It probably was a good thing for me because I was not mobile for the first week. I had both done, and had issues of passing out, or lightheadedness for the first week. It was more than a week before I made it to the bathroom. By two weeks, I was home and was a new woman!

I had a CPM in the hospital & one was sent home with me. I really didn't care for it because it was so cumbersome & it kept moving and pulling on my ankles. My husband was in charge of lifting it onto our bed and fastening my leg into the machine. Mine came with felt and I also used a pillow/towel to keep it from rubbing my leg. When I have my RTKR; I don't think I want to use one. I don't think that it helped me because I am still having problems with my flexion so I am waiting for the insurance to approve my JAS splint. If that doesn't work; I feel I will eventually work my ROM out.

Never used a CPM, Surgeon guessed my ROM pre op at 110, was never measured for ROM afterwards, was asked by the physio on week 5 if I wanted my ROM measured which I replied, well it's past 90 degrees which is fine by me, and he never measure it as I was happy, everything went well, have just been skiing without any problems, as long as you are past 90 degrees, as far as I am concerned you are doing ok.

You know what, this is just another example of the controversy regarding the standards of care regarding TKR recovery. CPM does no harm from my perspective, and for many, including myself, it has the role of keeping us elevated, icing and resting, for many hours a day early in recovery that we may not do if we weren't, excuse me, told too. I spent many hours a day - 2 hours three times a day - doing exactly what we all should do because I gave myself permission to because of the CPM. Granted a pain in the but ugly machine, but I tell you - it slowed me down, made me ice, and elevate for hours. I say if your insurance covers it - get it!

Ahh, an ocean wave is a perfect analogy! It's exactly how I felt although sometimes I felt like I was drowning, lol. But now I know this too shall pass and I'm finally coming out on the other side. And know what? You will too! Seems like you have a positive spirit and that will serve you well. It is fun to hear someone else's journey...to hear how they started and how they end up. Just be good to yourself and don't do too much. The day of PT I never did anything else and still don't. You are so right about enjoying the small things....knee replacement or not. :)

OOh wow, both knees done. I'm impressed! My OS would not do both of mine because I had so many issues in my right leg (groin, hip and foot). How are you now Janet? I see it's almost been a year for you. I'll bet you're glad it's all over!! I still have one more to look forward to, but I'm waiting at least a year. I don't want to go through this again soon although I'm sure my left knee will be much easier since I don't have all those other issues. And no CPM when I come home from the hospital the next time!

ops - I see there were a couple more posts! Buddha...I just could not tolerate it at all. Don't ask me why but the backs of my legs don't like touching a thing! I'm sure it doesn't cause harm and that's a good way to look at it. I have no trouble laying on my back and elevating for hours though lol, CPM or not.

There's a wide range of opinion and experience here, but what it seems to amount to is this:
  • If your OS advises CPM and you feel it is helpful - use it.
  • If your OS advises it and you have problems with it , don't use it. Do the gentle exercises yourself
  • If your OS does not advise it, do the gentle exercises yourself.
  • Whether you use a CPM machine or not makes little difference to your recovery and your eventual ROM.

I used the CPM each day for 2hours a day 3 times a day. Yes it was a pain to set up along with the ice machine. But i think it was good for me. It let my husband feel like he was able to at least help me out. Of course by the 21 days I was more than ready to be rid of it. Laura

I used it on both of my knees. The first time it really helped me geting the room, Howver I had so much better luck with the second. It really helped my swellling and pain. However because no two are alike. I used it for difference reason. One was for pain and bending and the other for swelling. I was luck it helped me. But i also know it didn't help other. Its a indivial thing. Tashia

I used it for three weeks but it did not go past 110 so I outgrew it. I would sit in it for an hour at a time and it was relaxing and kept my knee flexible. It doesn't build strength so my PT said it was not essential to my recovery.

Uh boy. Not having a good day today. All that mall walking yesterday did it. The outside of my knee and just below the knee on the outside are SOOOO sore. It's sore there anyway but eesh, now it's awful. And I have PT in a half hour! Pouts I guess this happens to all of us when we overdo things. *sighs* The positive is that I was able to even walk in that mall. Walking has been my greatest challenge due to my groin issue. It was bugging me but not to the point of having to bend over and rest like I used to. I guess this will be a "down for the count" day.

Hi Laura,
That happens to me also. One day is great and then the next, not so much. We will start having more good days than bad and someday this will just be a distant memory. Hang in there at therapy and try to remember that those exercises are going to make you strong! I've got to do mine at home today. I don't look forward to them, but know that is the only way to get better. We have already invested so much in this recovery. We just need to keep on going! (You can cheer me up tomorrow when I'm whining because therapy was hard.) :)

Laura, are you sure it's to do with the mall walk & nothing to do with being ANOTHER year older??!!!! Talk about us having to take THE ROUGH with THE SMOOTH! Hope you didn't suffer too much at pt :)

Hahaha!! Very funny Jaki! You know, I'll bet you're right. It's that additional year that's the killer! PT wasn't too bad. I took a pain pill first. I haven't taken one of those in over a week, and boy did it hit me! I'm sure I had this goofy look on my face when I was there. :} I measured 125 bend and 2 extension! I'm now elevating and going to move into photoshop soon. Time for more ice!! Thanks Vickie for the encouragement! I know that these exercises help. I've graduated to the black band in all my exercises which is the hardest one, so things have definitely improved. Tomorrow will be a better day! As we all push activity more and more, this is bound to happen. Right????? ;)

easter bunny 13.jpg Everything sounds very positive for you, Laura. So keep up the good work---another 3 months, and you'll feel almost "normal" again. Sounds like a long time---but it will fly by.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. easter hugs 6.jpg

Thank you so much Judy! I can't wait!! I've those inklings of feeling good...they're like fireflies in the night. I can't wait for them to turn into a big sun! :)

Okay, so I'm about to leave for my birthday party tonight and I am wearing a heeled boot! Even though my right knee feels swollen, it definitely does NOT have that arthritic feeling which used to stop me from wearing any heels in the last couple years. My left knee isn't so happy, lol, but omg...I can't believe how much better my right knee feels in heels! Granted, they are not the stilts or platforms that are out these days (how does one walk in those anyway), but heels nonetheless!

Guess what everyone! Today I measured at 129 and 0! Holy schmoly! It's incredible! I have only one more physical therapy appointment on Thursday and then I'm on my own. I'm so excited!

Wow 129!! Fantastic,congratulations. You are really on your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker