TKR Recovering from TKR May 3

ClaireL

Country
United States United States
Just got home yesterday. Surgery went fine although evidently there was more inflammation in the lining than they expected. (And I thought this was my good knee...) In the recovery room, I suddenly couldn't get enough air. I was gasping for about an hour while they tried to resolve it. Since then, every time I start to fall asleep (which is often as I am on Dilaudid) I forget to inhale. They sent me home with a spirometer, which I am using, but I wish this feeling would go away.

I will say, Dilaudid is much, much better for me than Oxycodone. It actually pretty much relieves the pain, and minimal itching. I had a lot of side effects with Oxycodone.

Anyway, I'm probably babbling, for reasons above. If anyone knows anything about the breathing, I'd like to know. Forgetting to inhale doesn't seem normal.

Pumpkin

Staff member since March 26, 2015
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'd like to know. Forgetting to inhale doesn't seem normal.
Welcome to the OtherSide!
Forgetting to breathe is not normal.
Call your primary doctor and let them know about you forgetting to breathe. A sleep study may be needed to determine if you have sleep apnea, and if you need a CPAP. If you have sleep apnea you may need a different machine.

Glad you have your pain under control.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

FourCats

senior
Country
Did you have general anesthesia? I’m wondering if you’re experiencing some kind of lingering side effect? Definitely get it checked out.

OP
OP
C

ClaireL

Country
I did have general anesthesia, and I was told that the lining was more inflamed than they expected. So maybe they needed a bit more anesthesia, if I was under longer.

I'm having some trouble getting much detail from anyone--they just say everything was fine. I mean, I'm glad it was fine but I'd appreciate a little more information about how inflamed it was and what may have caused the breathing stuff.

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
You can alway ask for a copy of your operative report, but, that will probably just say what was done, not why. I asked for mine at my one year check up, I thought it would be a fun read. I understood more than I expected to, and by reading it, I learned I’d also had a lateral release done. I don’t remember my doctor ever telling me that at any of my check ups.

OP
OP
C

ClaireL

Country
Thanks, good idea. From the generalities they are giving me, I suspect they are liability shy and I don't want to spook them further. (No liability because there are no damages, and anyway I'm not litigious, just curious and a little concerned.)

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
In another day or so hopefully you can talk to your surgeon and he’ll explain, or at the very least, at your first check up.

OP
OP
C

ClaireL

Country
Yeah. I'm feeling mostly better now. I can yawn and breathe deeply. Not being able to breathe just kind of freaked me out because it has happened before with anesthesia (pseudocholinesterase deficiency).

kneeper

Staff member since January 6, 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Do they have you on a pulse oximeter at home? When I was in the hospital with my first tkr and on dilaudid, the pulse oximeter alarm kept going off when I dozed off. They wound up putting me on oxygen temporarily so I could sleep and changing my meds. It don't know if the meds you're on would have any connection to your breathing issue, but you might ask your surgeon about it.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
I've had this same breathing issue a couple of times following surgeries and understand your concern. It sounds like it's no longer a problem for you and I hope that's the case. If not, please do contact your GP and let them know what's going on. I agree with kneeper that some supplemental oxygen temporarily can make a big difference.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanadianLiz
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom