TKR Recovering from TKR Jan 28/20

Ibuprofen is better on arthritis pain since it's a NSAID. Tylenol is more of a pain reliever. I took 2 500mg every 6 hours and it worked well for me. If you decide to up your Tylenol, make sure you count all of it in other meds you might be taking.

Yes, I also take Tylenol 500 MG , 2 pills every 8 hours for associated pain from PKR.. though my prescription ends later this week,...should be interesting to see if I need to ask for a renewal

I’m in the same boat. Have been doing great overall a month out from the surgery but now I am trying to do stuff and then getting sore and needing a day or two to recover. Today was very uncomfortable and I have been limping. Feels like a setback but I know it will be better in a day or two. PT was yesterday and I walked a mile also. Now it hurts. I have concluded that the exercise bike at PT is the main culprit

I think the hard part is everybody tells me it takes 6 months it takes a year blah blah blah, but I also read all these bad stories on here, and It is unnerving. Until I get to 6 months I won’t know if I am a good outcome or a bad story. So when it hurts or clunks or clicks it is scary.

Rationally I know it will be ok but it is hard to manage through.

I’m in the same boat. Have been doing great overall a month out from the surgery but now I am trying to do stuff and then getting sore and needing a day or two to recover. Today was very uncomfortable and I have been limping. Feels like a setback but I know it will be better in a day or two. PT was yesterday and I walked a mile also. Now it hurts. I have concluded that the exercise bike at PT is the main culprit

I think the hard part is everybody tells me it takes 6 months it takes a year blah blah blah, but I also read all these bad stories on here, and It is unnerving. Until I get to 6 months I won’t know if I am a good outcome or a bad story. So when it hurts or clunks or clicks it is scary.

Rationally I know it will be ok but it is hard to manage through.

I agree
Most turn out ok though. And are happy to have done it. I just found out what a MUA is and it makes me cringe. I don’t want to go there so I hope I’m doing ok. Get my staples out this Friday. Hoping to be able to bend a little better after that. One day at a time. :)

Just got my staples removed today. I thought they would give me a topical painkiller. Nope! Nothing. Just pulled them out. All 47 of them!
Whoa that was painful. Something else no one told me about.
Well it’s behind me now and I’m home again. Icing and elevating. 3 1/2 weeks in. Starting to feel a bit better.

I was afraid they would be painful to remove since they had been in there over 3 weeks. Most staples are removed within about 2 weeks. That way the skin hasn't grown over them so badly. But, at least they are out now. All that pulling from them is over with. I remember that I could bend my knee better with them out since they weren't pulling so much. That was a relief.

I’m glad that’s over with for you! :console2:

I can’t imagine staples!:yikes: I had stitches. My surgeon did such a nice job with them that my friend said he should take up quilting!!:rotfl:

I hated having those staples out when I had my Achilles surgery. Ugh.

Before my surgery, I remember being freaked out by the some of the stories on BoneSmart, but someone reminded me that we are a small subset of the vast numbers of people who have knee replacements each year. A lot of us are on this site for support, so our stories won’t be all rosy, all the time. Plus we’re often following day to day progress here instead of seeing the larger picture. If you read my posts from last week, you can see how discouraged I was; this week so much better. Glad I had the surgery; glad I had the MUA. But I was fighting to feel that way just four days ago. Don’t let the details scare you about the whole journey.

this week so much better. Glad I had the surgery; glad I had the MUA. But I was fighting to feel that way just four days ago. Don’t let the details scare you about the whole journey.

Yes it’s seems it’s up and down. Hopefully more ups than downs as we go.
It’s great to have the staples gone!
I’m at 4 was post op now and finally can say I’m having some good days! Went for a short walk yesterday and my husband came home with an exercise bike for me to try. Not ready for that yet but later...:)
Not sleeping that great plus I’m wearing a Holter Monitor for 48 hrs. Not too comfy for sleeping. Patience needed everyday!

I had the same pain at the inside of my knee. It hurt mostly when trying to flex my knee. I was very discouraged with my rom. Then after a couple days of taking it easy it just went away. I am told on this site you can go backward in your progression and recovery.

Same here, most of my discomfort is the inner knee also. Feels like someone is squeezing/pinching the area. Yesterday, at PT, my Therapist massaged the area and found two tight spots, massaged them out and there’s been improvement. She explained that most complain of pain right there due to the max weight bearing where the tibia and femur join. Still so much healing going on.

Got a great hint from my PT - you can make those cold packs easily with a few ingredients. Mix water and rubbing alcohol 2:1 ratio, place in quart ziploc and then a second bag in case of leaks. Freeze. The alcohol allows you to mold the ice where it’s needed. I was sent home with a recirculating ice machine, these packs make it easier to cool the water.

Hi Joha
I had my knee op on 31st Jan. I sometimes get pain on the inner side of my knee from time to time.It feels like a sore muscle. Seems to come on after exercises and sometimes for no apparent reason
Usuaĺly try to ice it which seems to help.
It is a shame because I do not really have pain anywhere else in my knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom