Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Recovering from THR while parenting small children

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi @lullingly
I'm guessing staying partial weight bearing for this amount of time - and I think you said your surgeon recommended 6 weeks- is hard...almost there. :yes: Also, hard on hands and back, I should think.:console2:
Today when I talked to my surgeon's PA, he said I should be sure to put 30% weight on it to strengthen my pelvis and help set the new joint. Which is it?
Your OS's PA is the one I would put stock in but I certainly understand how hard this might be too gauge.
Not an exact science, but I think at 4 weeks out you can try to determine that if you were to go forward with operative leg and have half of your weight on crutch hand and half on foot, that would be 50%, so slightly less...

I wish I had a scale to see exactly what 30lbs feels like.
I have heard some members try to use a scale to estimate.
Again, I think it is not going to be an exact science and your hip is likely more stable than early weeks.
I know you were hoping for some feedback from moms with young children... but the members I've seen here such as @Toddlermom have recovered well and, I expect, are back to busy lives.
Healing hugs coming your way.:loveshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @lullingly Welcome and thanks for joining us here.

I wish I had a scale to see exactly what 30lbs feels like.
Can you have someone go purchase an inexpensive one for you, or borrow one from someone so that you at least have confidence in yourself that you're doing as instructed?

I want to help around the house, and I can do a small sink of dishes or cook a simple meal. That's not too much 4 weeks post-op, is it?
Take it slow. Your circumstances are a bit different than the average member so you will need to call on some patience as your recovery is going to be a bit longer, but you'll get there. You will know it's too much when you're exhausted or suffering some other symptom from being on your feet for too long.

I'm getting some mixed messages about weightbearing.
It's 30% of your body weight and the best way you'll get a feel is to place your surgical leg onto a scale and shift your weight to that side. Example: A 200 lb patient that is allowed 50% PWB (partial weight bearing) may place up to 100 pounds of weight through the surgical / injured leg. I believe you've grasped this, but a scale would certainly be helpful given your circumstances.

There have been many mom's of young children whose recoveries we've shared in. Any that come to mind, haven't been around, have moved forward
and are back living life. Your future looks bright. You'll get there too!
Have a great Wednesday. :)

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
While the following members haven't been around in a bit and weren't quite your age, all three of them low to mid forties, they did have small or younger children in the home. Possibly you'll enjoy perusing their threads.

OP
OP
L

lullingly

Country
@FCBayern yes my OS said to limit weightbearing. My acetabulum was very soft due to my congenital dysplasia. He had to bore deep to attach the cup, that's the reason I have to limit it.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You're welcome!
It's a special day...Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wishing you only the best as you continue the journey. Please stay in touch. We love reading progress updates. Happy Friday!
@lullingly

OP
OP
L

lullingly

Country
@Layla thank you!

Things are going well, I'm feeling pretty strong. I have one more week till I can put 50% weight on my leg. I'm resting a ton because I still can't care for my kids by myself, so I've always got people here so I can just relax. It's getting pretty boring! I had all these plans to be super productive and creative but mostly I've just been looking at dumb stuff on my phone and reading about coronavirus.

I went to the birthday party of one of my daughters friends yesterday, which was a big step. My first time out of the house for a fully enjoyment based trip. It was at a playground and there weren't a lot of comfy places to sit. I felt pretty overstimulated by all the sound and movement and excitement. But it was good to see friends and get some sunshine.

All my friends are very busy and I haven't had a lot of visitors which had me pretty down for a while. My sister is visiting me now, which is great!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@lullingly ah yes, those first few trips out that are actually fun and not grocery shopping! Of course I even got excited to go to the grocery store! :heehee: Sounds like getting out, visiting with some friends and sunshine did you a world of good. Totally understand the overpopulation after being holed up in your recovery nest. But it's all good.

Happy that your mood is a bit brighter, so easy to get hit with the blues during recovery. So many changes going on its easy to slip into a funk. Try to keep your chin up and stay positive, it really helps. Oh, and enjoy the rest and relaxation while you can, you'll look back and go that didn't last near long enough once life starts taking over again.

OP
OP
L

lullingly

Country
Tuesday was my first day using a crutch instead of a walker! So far so good after two days, but my hip feels... Funny. It's not super painful, I guess it's a one, where I used to have 0. Maybe a one and a half. It's not very specific pain, it's kind of just sore and achey all around the joint, tender, bruisey. It feels more delicate than it did before, like I could hurt myself with a small misstep. I'm feeling really anxious. I'm worrying that it means my prosthetic is loose, or that I'm not healing like I should. My mind and keeps going to the scariest places.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @lullingly I'm sorry to read that you are worrying.. It sounds to me like maybe your new hip is trying to adjust to its first few days off of the walker?
Whenever I tried anything new or overdid it a bit? I had soreness like you described.. like a deep bruised feeling and achy. Do you notice any relief when you take some time to rest your hip? Or ice?
I know it's discouraging but maybe you need to remain on the walker a wee bit longer or, maybe use 2 crutches or two canes.
I felt like it took me forever to graduate off of my cane.. there's no set time table for when it suddenly becomes easier. It's not anything about not healing like you should. Especially this soon after surgery.

My recent THR for righty was the one that took much longer to be cane free, 4 years ago I had the LTHR and that one was a faster recovery. All hips are different, even ones on the same body!

FCBayern

senior
Country
I definitely noticed a little discomfort when I first moved from walker to cane @lullingly . I think it's just that you are using the muscles more off the walker and the hip tells you about it a little bit. I found as I made the transition that if I went back to the walker later in the day as I got a little tired it helped make the transition smoother.

OP
OP
L

lullingly

Country
@FCBayern I think I'll try trading off walker and single crutch. Hopefully that will help me make the transition smoother.

My leg length discrepancy is really big! My operative leg was an inch and a half shorter before surgery, and my surgeon said he wouldn't try to lengthen it all the way because of the risk of nerve damage, but now it's so long! I've heard it should be fine after 6 months.... Gahhhhhh. It's much more noticable on the crutch than with the walker.

OP
OP
L

lullingly

Country
@CricketHip thanks for your encouraging words.

I went back to the walker for today, but I'm still feeling stiff. I felt good upon waking but after a short time moving about I felt stiff again. Icing feels good, I'm doing it now.

I'd be so disappointed to go back to the walker, and not keep moving forward... But I also really want to heal thoroughly and not mess things up by going to fast. I'm only at 6.5 weeks!

I wonder if anyone on here has any good resources for guided meditations to allay worry about healing? I can't find any on the insight timer app. Pretty much nothing about physical healing at all on there! Only emotional healing and substance abuse recovery.

Last edited:

Mayhip8

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@lullingly i’ve just read your thread and I think you’re amazing! Your surgery sounds quite complicated and you must have had to endure a lot over the years. I have teenage children so I am in a different place however I understand how you might have felt in the early days when you felt you couldn’t do what you wanted for your children -it’s wonderful that you have your mum to support you, this time will soon be a distant memory as you gain strength and recover.

I think it’s normal to have times of anxiety and whilst it’s uncomfortable if you can be open and honest about the way you’re feeling to the people you live with to get some support and allow people to help you when you need it.

I use the Headspace app, I think there is a free trial( or there is in the UK ) once you’ve learnt the skills you can apply the meditation theory or use the guided meditation. I’m not sure if the cost is something you can consider or if they have different prices in the US
keep up the good work and I’m sending you my best wishes.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I've used several of the meditations on youtube.. if you type in the search bar 'meditation for healing'
I think you will find several and maybe you can find a couple that resonate with your needs.

Recently I used the calm app. I used the free one for a short time and then they offered me a subscription at half price and I jumped on it and love it. It was super helpful in helping snag some sleep at night.
But I remember using the youtube ones first and they were helpful.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve found a meditation app by now that’s relieving your anxiety and the last couple weeks have brought some progress. Leave us an update when you have time.
We’re here for you and would love to hear how you’re doing. :SUNsmile:
@lullingly

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom