TKR Recovering from December 2, 2019 Left TKR

Suz, those BP changes will stop affecting your knee after a while. As it heals, it won't notice those changes as much. I did feel mine this past summer when a hurricane remnants headed our way. It pained for about 5 minutes, and then went away. But, look at all the surgeries I've had on my knees! I think yours will completely ignore those weather changes after it heals.

baby-jesus:carols:

Oh, how I live the Biltmore House at Christmas! I’ve only been twice, one was like a backstage pass for UNC-CH employees, which I was at the time.

It’s really so, so lovely!

But it’s lovely every year. Every year. Next year will be lovely too, and maybe there will be an Outlander exhibit instead of Downton Abbey! Or a Game of Thrones exhibit or The Crown or . . . No, really, the beauty will be there for you again.

@Suz
Hang in there. You are doing great. Be easy on yourself. I'm always saying, "Let Christmas be 365 days a year...not just one...kindness, charity, giving, respectfulness, love, prayer, gratitude, compassion...let it be 24/7/365...gift giving/receiving 365 would be nice, too :egypdance:
@tlfiore I loved your post so much- especially that last exhortation. So true! When I read it I felt like we were sitting together in 'real-time' with our knees propped up!

We didn't go all out in our decorations either. My husband just yesterday went to a local Christmas Tree Farm and brought home a live wreath to give us the frasier-fir smell I love so much.

Before the surgery, I put up a little small 4ft silk tree and wrapped black & white buffalo plaid ribbon around it. I was quite impressed, lol! It's sitting not far from my recliner where I can see it easily. Then I tied more of the buffalo plaid ribbon around my oil lamp bases and have frasier-fir Yankee Candles around & woo-lah, Christmas decorating was done in only a few hours, lol! The candles have been nice just to give me mental warmth during this taxing recover.

I got tickled at your love for your Carriers- I'm the SAME WAY! I love leaving little surprises for them!

I'm just tired of dancing with the pain and sitting on my derriere 24/7. And I know I'm not the only one- but I find relief in saying it here because I know BoneSmarties get it! I find myself wanting to nap more which is definitely odd for me. I'll be up for a few hours and then, 'woooooosh', energy drain. Different for me. In fact, one is coming over me right now! But I was determined to respond to any posts I received today.

We'll bring Christmas in together here! Thank You again for coming over for a visit- LOL! Below is my simple little Christmas Tree. Packing up the decorations after Christmas will be a breeze this year!

Hugs, -Suzie

ChristmasTree.png

Last edited:
@eliza61nyc

Thank you for the encouragement! You definitely 'get me' on this recovery ordeal! I can't believe there were times prior to my surgery that I thought, well, at least I'll be able to slow down and get some rest.
WHAT ON EARTH WAS I THINKING? LOL!

I went through all of this back in 2016, I just forgot how difficult sitting around was back then. But like you said, 'this too shall pass' and I'll be so excited to be able to move about more and not have to deal with the arthritic pain!

I'll re-read your post when the blues start jerking me around again! That and pretend I'm in the back seat of the sled w/ Charlie and Scott Calvin, I mean, Santa Clause, LOL!

You really made me smile! Thanks!

Hugs,
-Suzie

TimAllanSantaClause.png

Oh, how I love the Biltmore House at Christmas! I’ve only been twice, one was like a backstage pass for UNC-CH employees, which I was at the time.

It’s really so, so lovely!

But it’s lovely every year. Every year. Next year will be lovely too, and maybe there will be an Outlander exhibit instead of Downton Abbey! Or a Game of Thrones exhibit or The Crown or . . . No, really, the beauty will be there for you again.

@Helizabug
Biltmore is so magical, anytime you go! A few years back we bought tickets to see an evening with Bruce Hornsby- just outside of the library under the stars. It was SO awesome! It's about a 3hr drive for us, we're on the other side of Boone from there. But SO worth the trip. I've been so tempted to get annual passes so we would go more! You can do a vacation rental house in that area pretty reasonable and Asheville has SO MUCH to enjoy!

You're only about 5-days behind me in your knee replacement. I love how upbeat you always seem to be! I've been just short of MEAN the past few days! But coming back around again!

Yes * Yes * Yes, we've got this!

-Hugs, Suzie!

BiltmoreChristmasTree.png

Suz, those BP changes will stop affecting your knee after a while. As it heals, it won't notice those changes as much. I did feel mine this past summer when a hurricane remnants headed our way. It pained for about 5 minutes, and then went away. But, look at all the surgeries I've had on my knees! I think yours will completely ignore those weather changes after it heals.

baby-jesus:carols:
SOOOOO glad to hear this and after what you've been through- you would definitely know!! It was 50% better today than the past few days- so prayerfully we're moving on up and out of this pain-storm! Hope all is well where you are! Hugs, -Suz!

I love the way you managed decorating this year! Even though Christmas isn’t my winter holiday, I love the smells and beauty of it! I think it’s really important to our whole-selve’s healing to honor this season and remind ourselves of the role our hearts and souls play in our knees’ recovery.

With regards to feeling ‘mean,’ I get very quiet when I’m feeling mean because I can be very, very hurtful with my words when I feel like it. It only happens when I feel hopeless, like on and off during the first week or so of this recovery. So, when I get quiet, my family and good friends know to don their armor or keep their distances. Fortunately for me, it doesn’t happen often; though I’ve warned folks that the next several months might be a minefield.

With regards to feeling ‘mean,’ I get very quiet when I’m feeling mean because I can be very, very hurtful with my words when I feel like it. It only happens when I feel hopeless, like on and off during the first week or so of this recovery.
I like this! My tolerance level dropped seriously after the surgery & with taking hydrocodone.
I'll see about going to a quiet place, in my mind for now, instead of getting overly frustrated!

:bath:

Last edited:
Happy Sunday Recovering Friends! Tomorrow makes 4wks post-op here. I've 'really' behaved myself in regards to rest, ice & elevation.

I'm concerned about the large swollen area on the right side of my knee, looking down on it. It never moves, no matter how much I pamper it. There's no pain in the swollen area, my entire knee area just looks lop-sided to me.

I've taken many pictures to try to capture the signifciant swelling but this is the best I've been able to come up with to show. Would appreciate your thoughts. I'm hoping to hear it will sort itself out in time.

Swelling.png

Last edited:
Hi, Suz, hopefully this is something that will settle down with time. I’ve alerted the rest of the staff for them to take a look at your photo, so we’ll see what they think.

It’s so easy to worry about things that just don’t seem right to us. And yet, this recovery has all kinds of “this just doesn’t seem right” issues that turn out to be par for the course.:console2:

• Agree
Reactions: Suz
It would be a good idea to call your surgeon tomorrow and let him know.

• Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Suz ... is this the area you are concerned about?

1577645421701.png

@Jamie
Yes. I also had significant swelling in my ankle on the same side as this. It took 3wks but has finally subsided.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. Since everything else with your knee looks great, I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Swelling goes where it wants to after surgery and it can appear in some rather odd places. There are plenty of bursae that just love to have a fluid party after a TKR.
1577677002587.png

But if you are concerned, you can always get it checked out at your doctor's office.

Once thing you might want to do, especially since you say it is not painful, is some gentle massage. You can use a little lotion or oil (just stay away from your incision for now) and rub in circular motions from the bottom of the swollen area upwards. The idea is to encourage any fluid to move toward your trunk where it can more easily be removed by the lymphatic system. Do not do anything that results in pain. You'll also want to ice this area and make sure you're elevating with your toes above your nose a good bit of the day while you're icing.

@Jamie
That's what I thought. Since everything else with your knee looks great, I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Swelling goes where it wants to after surgery and it can appear in some rather odd places. There are plenty of bursae that just love to have a fluid party after a TKR.
Thank You so much Jamie.. my day is made. Funny, a few hours after my post I removed the ice pad and when I looked at the area, the swelling seemed to have decreased. The area was even less tight when I massaged it. :whistle:

I'm amused how these things will resolve themselves, but always on the knee's terms! I will definitely continue your recommendations!

Good results! That's what we love to hear.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom