United States United States
Could I be added to the list?

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome!

Please tell us your surgery date and what surgery you had, and we’ll add you to the list.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Well, I forgot that quickly that all the info is in your thread title. I apologize!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
Ah, had those details in the subject line: I had a TKR (right) on January 26, 2021.
Thanks!

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m so sorry! I always have trouble remembering the title info. :doh:

You will get an alert when you’ve been added to the list.

How are things going for you?

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
Recovery takes patience, but overall I think I'm doing fine at this point. But I always have questions that don't have clear answers..... like when will I be able to shift to OTC medications only & when will I be able to drop the OTC meds as well. And meanwhile, whether I could handle being temporarily off the medications long enough in advance so there would be no concern of possibility of decreasing the efficacy of the COVID19 vaccine -- that's if I can get an appointment of course!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Kneeophyte You don't have clear answers to those questions because there aren't any. Every recovery is different - even on the same person. When you start forgetting to take doses of your prescription medication that's a sign you are weaning off them. But there is no set timeframe for this.
And meanwhile, whether I could handle being temporarily off the medications long enough in advance so there would be no concern of possibility of decreasing the efficacy of the COVID19 vaccine
Your medications will in no way impact your Covid vaccination.

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
"Your medications will in no way impact your Covid vaccination."

This may change as more information comes out, but right now there does seem to be concern that painkillers MIGHT reduce effectiveness if taken before the vaccine. You'll see commentary on this if you browse news articles on the topic. Personally, I'll get one no matter what, but if the timing works & no new information comes to light, I'll consider if I can be off NSAIDs, etc. for day in advance.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Kneeophyte We researched this a bit and it is all a moving target. The medication the CDC is referring to is OTC pain medication taken for the purpose of avoiding any discomfort post injection. Taking medication while in recovery is different from using the medication prophylactically.

Here is a link to the page on the CDC website (See Helpful Tips).

We would urge our members to discuss this with their surgeon or family doctor.

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
My recovery hit a bit of a bump some days back when I started having stomach pain, loss of appetite, fatigue, etc. Confusing, because it seemed like any one (or combination) of many factors could cause that right now -- extended use of several medications, less activity, surgery recovery, etc. But I do have a history of diverticulitis flare ups (along with diagnosis of diverticulosis from colonoscopies). After a discussion with the surgeon this morning, he advised that I drop the NSAIDs "cold turkey" (as we say for some odd reason) as well as continuing the slow taper off Tylenol #3. He mentioned that there are topical anti-inflammatories that could be useful without being tough on the digestive tract.

Will give it a try -- having a stomach that hurts much worse than the knee doesn't seem right!

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
It took some time to get diagnosed, but what I'd come down with was a c diff infection. That is truly something one never wants to experience, let alone during recovery from TKR. My surgeon has his patients take an antibiotic (clindamycin) for three days post-TKR. It is supposed to keep us safe from bacterial infection. But it also wipes out helpful bacteria in the gut. In my case, c diff bacteria took over & I was very, very sick. Now at about 10 days from when c diff was finally diagnosed & treatment began, I am still battling that infection, but am at least back to the point where I can do a bit of walking & some knee exercise/stretches. Easy recovery? Not!

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m so sorry you got so sick. And from a medication that was supposed to prevent a problem. :console2:

sistersinhim

Country
Unfortunately, C-diff can hit anyone who has taken antibiotics. I'm glad you got your diagnosis and are on the upswing side of it. Don't worry about your knee, though. Your downtime hasn't hurt your knee at all and actually gave it more time to heal!

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
Thank you for the encouragement, I'm about halfway through c diff treatment (vancomycin) now, but it's been a really hard few weeks between getting it diagnosed & then waiting for improvement. I never ever want to have c diff again, but the post-treatment relapse rates have me very concerned.

I'm now at almost 6 weeks post-TKR & will see the surgeon tomorrow. Earlier he'd recommended using clindamycin - the antibiotic related to my c diff - before future dental visits. I'll be paying close attention to what is recommended in its place & the reasons for believing it to be a better choice.

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
The surgeon that did my knee and hip wasn't worried about pre-dental antibiotics @Kneeophyte, but my ankle replacement OS was a big believer. His prescription was 4 500 mg amoxicillin tablets an hour before a procedure. I would definitely talk to your OS about a different antibiotic since you had an issue with the previous one, IF you are going take one before dental work. The more recent studies show that pre-dental antibiotics aren't necessary for joint replacement patients. I think my ankle OS may have given the advise because my TKR is approaching 10 years old, and the latest studies hadn't been published yet.

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
......The more recent studies show that pre-dental antibiotics aren't necessary for joint replacement patients. .....
Thank you, that's good to have heard before I speak with the surgeon tomorrow. Seems like a lot of abundance-of-caution medical practices get perpetuated, necessary or not. And I don't think that is at all a good thing when it comes to antibiotics, given the ever-growing problem of super-bugs.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
My partial is 4 years old and I have never taken the pre dental antibiotic and I’ve never had an infection in my joint. I have, way in the past, had bad reactions to some antibiotics, so I don’t take them now unless I am sick. I feel very strongly about this, so when I needed my first appointment after my replacement I searched for a dentist that would not require me to take the antibiotic. I now have a new dentist that I really like and she is worth the 40 minute drive!

Here’s an article from the Bonesmart library:

Here’s a link to the whole list of articles in the Bonesmart Library. Lots of topics there!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
Thank you! I'll be looking at the info & consulting with my primary care physician, but I'm sure very strongly inclined against any further antibiotics as a preventative measure.

I am happy to report that the surgeon thought my knee progress was fine at this morning's 6-week check up -- despite the couple weeks of nearly total inactivity. So now I will focus on regaining some endurance AND on being alert to any signs of a c diff relapse.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
So sorry you suffered with c diff! Over use of antibiotics has caused more problems than results.

I consulted my dentist, my family doctor and my surgeon about the use of antibiotics before dental treatment. All said this is no longer recommended.

Let us know what your PCP recommends.

OP
OP
Kneeophyte

Kneeophyte

Country
My PCP recommended avoiding antibiotics before dental visits, including this quote in her response to me:

"In view of these observations, the American Academy of Oral Medicine [42], the American Dental Association (ADA) in conjunction with the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) [37,43], and the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy [44] all advise against universal use of antimicrobial prophylaxis prior to dental procedures for prevention of PJI."

I see 'PJI' stands for periprosthetic joint infection associated with knee & hip replacements.

New

STEPS Challenge
Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jolaw
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom