THR Is Ice still recommended?

Thanks for the info on the "stutter step"...great name for it. It's good to hear that it's normal. I will be super careful with yoga. It's a gentle class and I'll be seeing my PT who is a yogi and she can tell me what is and isn't safe at this stage. My doctor said it would be pretty rare to dislocate at this stage but I will be super careful. No overdoing it for me. Thanks all for your answers and assurances.
I had a wonderful Christmas holiday and look forward to the new year with a new hip! Happy New Year to you all!

My daughter is a yoga instructor...but she's never had a THR. She's learned a lot about joint replacement since I had one. One of the moderators should be able to link the dislocation/time chart.

Last edited:
Here's some info on dislocation risk, there is a chart toward the bottom of the first message.

:hi:Happy New Year!
Happy Two Month Anniversary too.
I hope you have a nice Sunday and a great week to come.
@Harpcat

I thought I ought to report in since I returned to my yoga class. The first class was January 2. My hip seemed to do fine. I go to a gentle yoga class so no crazy moves and the instructor did an all floor class. Only problem was, she did several seated forward fold poses and since my back hadn’t really been stretched in 9 weeks it fired up my L5-S1 disc area. I’ve had a herniated disc there before and sure enough after class I could tell it was irritated and pressing on nerves. So I stayed away for a week Before attempting again...to give it time to settle down. I saw my PT the day after and she gave me a few things to do. I was so mad at myself for getting too overconfident. Back pain is the pits!! I went back and did ok in my next class.
I’ve been having a bit of discomfort mid thigh but the OS said it’s called tip of stem pain, due to the cortical bone reforming in that area. it’s normal he said and unless I’m having problems with walking not to be worried. I see them again at my 4 month P.O. I’m at the 10 week mark. Only two more weeks and I’m released to soak in a tub...which I dearly miss!

Only problem was, she did several seated forward fold poses and since my back hadn’t really been stretched in 9 weeks it fired up my L5-S1 disc area.
Ouch.
i had attended gentle yoga classes, too, before surgery. My instructor had me seated on yoga blocks or had me using yoga blocks so I did not have to stretch too far.
I hope it continues to be a class you enjoy.:bath:

Hello,
It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for the update!
It's seems you're doing pretty well. Back to Yoga and life in general.
I'm sure you'll enjoy that first long soak in the tub your're looking
forward to. :bath: Let us know how your four month post op goes.
Until then....wishing you all the best!
@Harpcat

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well. Leave another update when you're feeling up to it. We enjoy following your progress. :)
A great week to you!
@Harpcat

Just a quick note to update you on my 4 month check up. The PA thought everything looked good and we discussed doing my other hip. She said they generally like to wait a year so that the other hip is doing better, anesthesia etc. That was my plan anyway so that was good to hear. I’m planning on October. She said the flexibility will continue in the joint and said normally it’s about 18 months for complete healing.
So that’s about it in a nutshell. Thanks for everyone's support. This forum is great! :loveshwr:

:wave:
So glad to see you and yep, lots of improvements to come.
Glad your surgeon reassures you with realistic expectations as even though that bone crunching hip pain was gone, the tightness and soft tissue trauma took time to resolve.
Hope your weekend is sunny and bright :SUNsmile:

What a good update! The plans for the second hip sound good too, hopefully lefty won't get grumpy and too painful while you wait.
I liked reading what your OS advised in regards to the healing and flexibility improvements up through 18 months. It is a very good tidbit of information for all of us hippies.

Congratulations @Harpcat !

It’s good to hear from you! I am very glad you are doing well. Happy 4 months!

The PA thought everything looked good and we discussed doing my other hip. She said they generally like to wait a year so that the other hip is doing better, anesthesia etc. That was my plan anyway so that was good to hear. I’m planning on October. She said the flexibility will continue in the joint and said normally it’s about 18 months for complete healing.
Good to know!

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Thanks for sharing the great update. I’m sorry your other hip is on the decline.
Please stay in touch and let us know when you get it scheduled. We’ll be here for you.
Have a wonderful Thursday and enjoy the remainder of the weekend! :wave:
@Harpcat

I am posting this question for a friend who recently was forced (via her health insurance) to go to a clinic 4 hours from her home for a THR. Her surgeon used an anterior approach. She was kept on the hospital campus for 10 days and released to go home with no follow up appointments. She was told to see a general practitioner at 3 weeks. But she has no other appointments. No follow up x-rays, no idea when to drive, etc. Does this sound crazy. This is a company who uses the "Centers of Excellence" approach for hip replacements. Sounds more like negligence to me and a law suit waiting to happen. I'm curious if anyone here has ever heard of such a lack of care? I personally am flabbergasted.

No. Never heard of it. Just weird.:umm:

Harpcat, what you're describing is not typical of joint replacement in the US. How about seeing if your friend will join BoneSmart and tell the story first hand, so we can get all the details and ask questions about what happened?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom