THR Is Ice still recommended?

Harpcat

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone! I’m day one on the other side of the pre op anxiety! So glad that is behind me and I’m on the way to adjusting to my new hip. I will hopefully go home today and Home Health will start tomorrow. I was so surprised how just one little move the wrong way getting out of bed sent a big zinger!! Ouch! But I’m getting better at getting around and figuring g it all out. Once I got past the nausea, I’m keeping dinner and breakfast down, I am feeling energy come back. The doctor said my surgery was textbook and only took 30 minutes!!! and I’m thrilled he didn’t have to put in any cables around the femur. Now for getting all the help I need at home. Will miss these warm blankets :)

:wave:
Great to see you on the Healing Side!!!
Keep the pain at bay...and hope they let you go home soon so you can get warm and snuggly. (Lots of warm blankets to accommodate that ice!:ice:
Healing hugs××

@Harpcat Welcome to the other side. Easy does it. Have PT show you how to get in and out of bed without hurting yourself.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congratulations @Harpcat, you did it! It is amazing how what we think is the littlest thing can zing us like crazy. As recommended by Jaycey, get the PT to show you how to get in/out of bed, how to get in/out of car (if possible) before you leave to go home. Hope they spring you soon so you can go home and really start recovery as there really is no such thing as rest at a hospital!

I am home! Sadly it took Walgreens forever to approve my pain med so I got behind. Just took one with a muscle relaxant so hopefully will be in better shape in a few. I’d love a glass of wine, but I guess that’s a No-no. My sister goes home tomorrow so after that it’s me and hubby. Hope he’s up to it!

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to recovery!

No-no :no-fin: no vino yet.:heehee:
That will come in time.:wink:

Great to hear you were discharged and safely made it back to your nest. There's no place like home for recovery. I hope your pain is back under control soon and you're able to rest comfortably tonight.

Will look forward to following your journey. Hugs :)
@Harpcat

Welcome to the recovery side and now you're back to your home, sweet home. There's nothing nicer. Hopefully by now your pain is under control and you are settled into a comfy recliner or bed or whatever suits you best.
Congratulations, you did it!! :loveshwr:

There is no place like home and much quieter than hospitals. I hope your pain gets under control quickly.

I’ve been rather quiet but busy between walking, icing and elevating and my two Home Health visits. Today is day 5 and for some reason I don’t feel as good as I did yesterday. All I can say is I’m not 100% and even feel a bit tearful. Is this normal to have a downturn like this? On top of it all our heat went out today and it’s cold in the house. Fortunately a technician will be out to look into the problem. My husband played the "surgery card" and said yes it’s an emergency!l

Hi @Harpcat I'm sorry you are feeling sore and blue.. it's a natural progression after any surgery. Especially in my opinion, after a joint replacement.
So, yes, it's natural to have a downturn and it's most likely the first of several that you will have. Kind of like this:

dferrhmucaaj4jk-jpg.74669

I hope that gives you a little chuckle and I'm also leaving you a link to read about the post op blues, I hope it helps.

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

That is lousy timing about your heat, but love that your husband was quick thinking and used the recent surgery card!!

Another interesting article touches on energy drain. This will be an on and off issue, too. Well most likely, for me, that is what added to my sadness and impatience at times.
I like to be moving and shaking around the home and I hated the slow process of healing.
I followed the advice of other advisors on this forum and focused on weekly improvements instead of focusing on the incremental progression of day to day. It really helped.

So another link on energy drain, I hope you find it helpful. Have a restful day and hopefully your heat will return quickly. :praying:

Energy drain for THRs

@CricketHip your graph did bring a chuckle! I also figure that it has something to do with the anesthesia as well. Thank you for the links and tips too. That was helpful.

Aww, hugs to you.:console2:
Sorry you're experiencing a down day. You'll have those. The best thing is it's only temporary and the blue moods are usually fleeting. Feeling weepy is normal and sometimes it happens over the silliest things. I often chuckled at myself later wondering why some trivial thing upset me so easily.

You're only four days post op and I'll bet even a week from now you'll notice a difference. I'm sorry your heat went out, hopefully it's up and running again by now or it's doubtful you'll want to do much icing of your hip today.

Wishing you some cozy warmth and a big dose of comfort! :friends:
@Harpcat

Ok I’ve been having very slight nausea off and on and attributed it to my opioid. This morning, however it got the best of me and I did vomit up my tea and English muffin. I’ve been on oxycodone every 4 hours pretty much. My glute is sore from the surgery and I think from sitting and laying on it all the time. Also my groin hurts some. I’m wondering if I can go to Tylenol extra strength. Is this typical pain at 6 days post op. And what about the nausea over the last two days? I’d say my level is at a 4.

Is this typical pain at 6 days post op. And what about the nausea over the last two days? I’d say my level is at a 4.
Totally normal for so early out! But it sounds like you are under medicated. I would call your family doctor first thing tomorrow and ask for an alternative to oxycodone. You don't need to be in pain and nauseous as well.

Is this typical pain at 6 days post op. And what about the nausea over the last two days? I’d say my level is at a 4.
Totally normal for so early out! But it sounds like you are under medicated. I would call your family doctor first thing tomorrow and ask for an alternative to oxycodone. You don't need to be in pain and nauseous as well.
are you saying you think a 4 is too much pain at this stage? My HH said they don’t expect pain to be a zero. Did you not have any pain? I call it pain but it’s more of a discomfort in my glute and groin.

Hi @Harpcat
If it's more of a discomfort, I'd consider it normal at only 5 days post op.
If you're finding it too much, call the office tomorrow. In the interim, Ice, ice, ice, it helps with pain and swelling.

Wishing you comfort!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562