BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] RearWindow's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by RearWindow, Apr 2, 2019.

1. RearWindow

RearWindow new member

United States United States
    Anterior Procedure - I had my left hip replaced May 1st 2018 and it recovered very well in about 3 months. That is not the case for my right hip which was replaced Oct 2nd 2018. No pain in joint but thigh is still swollen and my scar still itches and gets sore if I walk too much. Does anyone have this issue? It's taking the right hip much longer to heal.
    The same Surgeon did both hips.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @RearWindow - and :welome:

We always advise people not to compare their joint replacements, because no two are alike. It seems that you had quite an easy recovery from your first THR, but the second one is taking its time.

That could be for several reasons. Maybe your right hip was in worse condition before its surgery. Maybe it needed more work done on it during surgery. Maybe, having healed from the first surgery, your body's reserves are depleted, so it's taking longer to heal your second hip.
    There's no doubt that having two major surgeries in less than a year does put a strain on your body. It certainly drains your energy.

It is normal for recovery to take up to a full year, so try not to worry. I know it's hard to be patient, but if you can let your right hip take it's time, it will eventually heal just as well as your left hip.

Here is the post-op reading we give to everyone. There are lots of useful and informative articles.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. RearWindow

RearWindow new member

Thank you so much.

4. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

My LHR was 5 years ago and I just had my right done 4 weeks ago. Both were done with the same surgeon but with different outcomes. This one is more sensitive and recovery is taking longer. However I know that it's possible that I may be months away from a full recovery. You may need to cut back on activities and use ice for the swelling. You will find excellent help from the articles that Celle just sent you too, as well as from your fellow posters here!
    @RearWindow

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RearWindow

RearWindow new member

Now and then, still coming to terms with the Bones I have lost, and the fear of falling or moving wrong and damaging my implants.

6. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I don't think about the lost bone as much as I think about the lost pain. I do think about not falling often, but that's not a bad thing. I like my new hip and I don't want to screw it up since it's working pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. KathyD

KathyD junior member

I had to get used to having my bone removed also, especially with the first one. But that went away as I started getting more active. I am now happy to have working hips so I can do more of what I like. My surgeon's PA, a very experienced guy, also told me that every hip recovery is different. Sort of like babies, I guess. So, you'll get there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clipper

Clipper member

What bones have you lost?

What reason does your surgeon give for the swelling 6 mos post-op? I would certainly get some answers from him. No pain is a good thing! Good luck.

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Another way to look at this is you had a diseased and crumbling joint removed. I would much rather have a shiny new hip than a bad one.

10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I can sympathize. I'd rather have my natural hip, who wouldn't given the choice?
    But I also understand it was diseased, left me limping, in pain and missing out on life as my world grew smaller and smaller. In the not so distant past, many of us would have ended up in wheelchairs, at way to young an age. Considering all, I'm thankful for the option of THR.

I'd continue to ice any swollen areas with regularity and remain patient since no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. In addition, at only seven months post op, you still have five months until the one year point which many view as the time period for complete healing. I must add that I've heard more than once it can take even longer, even up to two or two and a half years for some. So hold on...it will happen, slowly but surely.
    Wishing you a week of comfort and bright sunny days!
    @RearWindow