THR Reanda on the other side!

Hi @Autumn01
I'm sure you will get good pain killers in hosp, and to take home once discharged. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you well for your op.

Day 13 update. Tomorrow feels like a milestone - 2 weeks since THR! I'm doing OK. Living by myself I've had to be creative about how to carry things about and prepare meals, I've got a perching chair in the kitchen which allows me to have breaks from standing or to oversea something cooking. I even sat on it last night and managed getting something in and out of my oven! Which is ground level, using top shelf so I don't have to bend too far. Felt very clever.. I have redinfined the term 'snails pace'!! Literally everything is done very slowly as I don't want to inadvertently compromise the hip. Also I'm training myself to never drop anything although my aim at the rubbish bin is open to debate! lol. By necessity I am using 1 crutch a lot of the time so I can carry things like plates and drinks. It feels OK but I am a little concerned as I walk lopsided with 1 crutch which doesn't happen with 2. Am I doing any harm?
My leg is still painful but far less so. Nevertheless it hurts enough that I'm taking paracetamol 3 times per day. A new pain arrived few days ago when I bend operated leg as when lying down and sliding foot towards body - the whole leg strikes up for few mins really hurts but goes off. Pulling on a muscle? Or maybe nerves?
One of my lovely daughters pops in once a day to help with anything which is usually clearing up the kitchen putting rubbish out and carrying things upstairs for me. Without them and a couple of visiters popping in I would not have done so well and maybe got depressed.
Showering is a tad difficult. My daughter has helped me couple of times with sitting on bath board and handing me the shower head and even washing my hair for me. Otherwise I'm using giant wetwipes! I just haven't felt secure enough to get into the bath and stand under shower and get out again. Once I can do that I'll be a very happy bunny!! My dressing comes off tom I'm intrigued to see incision which was sealed with glue - incision is right round side of thigh towards butt. I feel I'm on a journey and milestones along the way are keeping me positive. My greatest fear was always how I would manage post op living alone, its def better than expected! Good luck to all you hippies out there.

I am a little concerned as I walk lopsided with 1 crutch which doesn't happen with 2. Am I doing any harm?
No, you will build up strength as you increase your mobility. I used one crutch post LTHR and it didn't hinder my recovery at all.

At only two weeks out you are doing very well. If you only need paracetamol that's great!

Thanks for wonderful update, Reanda! Happy Two Week Anniversary!
It’s nice that your daughters are taking turns popping in each day, but you’re really doing the bulk of it on your own it seems…and doing a great job at it! Keep up the good work and have a lovely week!
@Reanda

Hi @Reanda At 2 weeks you are through the worst of it. Whilst progress might not always seem linear, the trend will be to something better. Getting a new pain you haven’t experienced before is fairly standard, unfortunately. Hope everything continues to settle for you, and that you are managing ok through this unseasonal cold snap.

Thanks for wonderful update, Reanda! Happy Two Week Anniversary!
It’s nice that your daughters are taking turns popping in each day, but you’re really doing the bulk of it on your own it seems…and doing a great job at it! Keep up the good work and have a lovely week!
@Reanda
Thank you Layla.

Hi @Reanda At 2 weeks you are through the worst of it. Whilst progress might not always seem linear, the trend will be to something better. Getting a new pain you haven’t experienced before is fairly standard, unfortunately. Hope everything continues to settle for you, and that you are managing ok through this unseasonal cold snap.
Hi Coddfish, thanks for words of encouragement. Yes it's very chilly here in Kent. Minus 2 last night. But no snow yet.

Quick question: I took off dressing 3 days ago as instructed by hosp after it had been on for 14 days. It looks OK and quite dry and very crusty. I've not showered since taking it off. How should I treat the scar at this point? Can I shower? Should I aim to keep it as dry as possible? Will the crusty bits just fall off on their own accord? And can or should I start putting any oinfment/healing oils on it? Thank you!

Ps there were no staples just glue.

My incision was glued and had a few stitches...and after the dressing was off, I showered but did not let the water stream hit the incision directly. I gently patted around it to dry.
The "crusty bits " came off over time as I didn't want to tug or pull.
I did not put anything on my new scar for many more weeks.

I had no stitches or staples just a piece of clear tape over the incision. I wet that tape every chance I got in hopes it would fall off as it itched like crazy, but it never did. It was taken off at 2 weeks and I never paid any mind to how much I got my incision wet. The few little scabs just fell of when they pleased. I didn't put anything directly on the scar that I remember and now I have to look close to even notice it and it's like a thin pink pen line.

Hi @Reanda

I took mine off at 14 days. Yes, dry and crusty!

My surgeon said I could take showers (I did) but don't scrub or aggravate it. It's fine to get it wet. I also put a bit of coconut oil around it (very gently) but not directly on the incision.

I'm at 4 weeks now and am gently applying a bit of coconut oil, even on the incision. I don't pull or pick at it at all. At 4 weeks, I still have some crusties. My other hip took forever to rid itself of crusties.

Great news! That's a milestone! I think you should celebrate by (safely) taking a shower!

Took a shower! Milestone! Got myself into the bath using bath board then stood up under shower..back on board again and get legs over bath and phew....rest on nearby chair. All my myself. Hee.

Well done @Reanda ! Major milestone accomplished!

@Reanda You are doing so well! Congratulations on navigating the hurdles of living by yourself and recovery. Just think, in a few days you will be 3 weeks post op and it will only get easier.
The main thing is to keep progressing slowly and steadily. No ODIC membership!!

@Reanda You are doing so well! Congratulations on navigating the hurdles of living by yourself and recovery. Just think, in a few days you will be 3 weeks post op and it will only get easier.
The main thing is to keep progressing slowly and steadily. No ODIC membership!!
Advice duly noted! Thanks for encouragement this site is helping me to feel connected with people who know what I'm talking about which is a huge psychological help as well as practical help.

Those first showers are the best! My first was a bit quick, but nonetheless satisfying. Great job doing it on your own, Reanda.
We’re happy you feel connected to other members and that BoneSmart has benefited you in more ways than one. Thanks for expressing that here. Hopefully you’re having a good week as you continue enjoying progress! :)
@Reanda

Hi everyone, I'm exactly 3 weeks post RTHR (posterior approach). I'm doing OK. There is only 1 thing that worries me a little and I'd be grateful for any advice. I'm able to walk around with 1 crutch and have reduced my pain meds down as I don't feel I need them so much however I have nasty pain which occurs when I bend my operated leg for instance when sitting and bringing my foot near to the chair, or when lying down and I slide my heel towards my body. The pain comes on suddenly when I do these movements and runs down the back of my leg, behind thigh and behind knee. Its more than uncomfortable and is definitely painful, but wears off quite quickly. I was told by my surgeon pre op that he would not be cutting muscles (just moving them) but that he'd be 'rejoining' a tendon. When I feel and gently massage the back of my leg it's very tender and sore. It is not improving and although I realise it's only 3 weeks and perhaps I'm being impatient, I wondered if there's anything I should or shouldn't be doing? My 6 week follow up appt isn't till 29th Dec, I'm not doing any physio other than ankle pumps and walking, but am walking well with no limp about 1300 steps a day. (I have a step counter!). I'm aiming to build up slowly. I stand a lot as I live alone and need to prepare meals etc. So all in all I'm doing well and making progress other than this pain I get regularly down back of leg. Anyone else get this? And any advice welcome. Thanks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back