THR Reanda on the other side!

Reanda

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm out the other side! Day 2. I'm in hosp having had the op late yesterday afternoon so I haven't left my bed yet as the spinal anaesthetic lingered for about 11 hours. Numbness stayed much longer in the operated leg as that's where they concentrate the anaesthesia. I was last on the list as I was the fittest! (surgeon said). Haa.
So the physio will visit today and hopefully get me up. I've got compression socks on and till this morning was attached to the pump on my legs to keep circulation going. The pain is being well managed and I'm having a cocktail of drugs including Morphine, paracetamol, antibiotics, blood thinners.
I feel OK. I'm drinking plenty of water which is very important even if it means lots of calls for the bedpan! Water helps remove the anaesthetic. So I'll see what today brings.

@Reanda Welcome to the other side! Wow - 11 hours for anaesthetic to wear off. That's a very long time. They must have given you a good batch! :heehee:

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

(2 days after op). Thought I was being good by drinking lots of water but blood test revealed low sodium count. So nurses restricting my water to 1 liter a day. Didn't see that one coming! Also to add salt to food. Today I leave hosp daughter picking me up. I've stopped morphine as made me a bit nauseous and now on Ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine and these meds are what I'll go home with. So far I've taken a few steps round my room using walker or crutches. Feel more secure with walker. The pain when walking or moving leg is quite bad. I just have to do it. Wondering if these meds will be enough when I'm at home. I can put up with a certain amount of pain but advice on this site is to reduce pain as much as possible. So that's what I'm not sure about - at what point is pain too much? And what should I do about it?
Good news I had a shower last night in a beautiful walk in shower with seat, helped a bit by nurse. Found I could stand for short while my new hip feels stable and my balance surprisingly OK. So next stage is seeing how I manage at home.

:hi: @Reanda
Congratulations on your new hip (you WILL be glad for getting rid of the old hip pain once this surgery trauma pain settles)
Our systems can get out of whack after surgery and sticking with your walker is best as I know I had some "out of the blue" woozy moments and the walker provides more stability.

The folks at the hospital want to make sure you are mobile, but once you get home, you will be able to get more comfy, ice like a fiend, and only walk where you have to go for the next few days.:ice::ice::ice:

Hopefully the pain protocol will be sufficient, so make sure to take with food and on time.

The first weeks can be a bit jarring, but All Temporary!
Healing Vibes coming your way.:friends:

You're welcome:loveshwr:

(2 days after op). Thought I was being good by drinking lots of water but blood test revealed low sodium count. So nurses restricting my water to 1 liter a day. Didn't see that one coming! Also to add salt to food. Today I leave hosp daughter picking me up. I've stopped morphine as made me a bit nauseous and now on Ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine and these meds are what I'll go home with. So far I've taken a few steps round my room using walker or crutches. Feel more secure with walker. The pain when walking or moving leg is quite bad. I just have to do it. Wondering if these meds will be enough when I'm at home. I can put up with a certain amount of pain but advice on this site is to reduce pain as much as possible. So that's what I'm not sure about - at what point is pain too much? And what should I do about it?
Good news I had a shower last night in a beautiful walk in shower with seat, helped a bit by nurse. Found I could stand for short while my new hip feels stable and my balance surprisingly OK. So next stage is seeing how I manage at home.
Congratulations! I’m 3 weeks out and it gets so much easier! I would give anything, to be able to take ibuprofen! I have to be on blood thinners for a month, so not allowed. I was given Tylenol, which is your Paracetamol, a low dose of Celebrex and a morphine pill, as well. It did make me feel icky, so I tried to take it, before sleep and that helped, a lot. I also ate a lot of yogurt, to help my stomach out, because I had issues.I stopped after a few days.

As Mojo said, ice really helps the pain. First week, I got up to go to the bathroom and napped, a lot! We use the 2 wheel rollater here, which I felt extremely safe in and just transitioned to a cane, a few days ago. Just wanted to mention, one of my best friends, the first week, since I slept in my bed, was my leg lifter. Saved me, a lot of agony.

All the best! I’m sure you will feel better, to get home and settled:)

Congratulations! I’m 3 weeks out and it gets so much easier! I would give anything, to be able to take ibuprofen! I have to be on blood thinners for a month, so not allowed. I was given Tylenol, which is your Paracetamol, a low dose of Celebrex and a morphine pill, as well. It did make me feel icky, so I tried to take it, before sleep and that helped, a lot. I also ate a lot of yogurt, to help my stomach out, because I had issues.I stopped after a few days.
Thanks for your encouragement, I'm also on blood thinners for 5 weeks. But also been given ibuprofen. Were you told they are not compatible?

Glad you are home @Reanda. On pain relief, I couldn’t tolerate any of the opioids (including codeine), but was fine on ibuprofen and paracetamol. I found the ibuprofen more helpful but if you are taking it for more than a few days, you also need something to protect your stomach. i can’t remember what they gave me for that, but it was an over the counter drug that I was easily able to get more of without a prescription. An ice pack on my groin helped from time to time. I only has aspirin as a blood thinner.

Congratulations!! It’s very encouraging to read these from everyone! Interesting about the water intake, eh? I might have to watch that as well. :what:

Thanks for your encouragement, I'm also on blood thinners for 5 weeks. But also been given ibuprofen. Were you told they are not compatible?
Ibuprofen was always my go to, for this hip. Nothing else seemed to help. If I get a cut, I found I bled more than I should. I was told, that was due to my chronic ibuprofen use and that it thins the blood. I had to come off if it, 5 days before surgery and while I’m on blood thinners. I think it’s Elliquis. Surgeon gave me Celebrex though, which is an NSAID too, so it might be a surgeon preference thing? Not sure

Feel more secure with walker. The pain when walking or moving leg is quite bad. I just have to do it. Wondering if these meds will be enough when I'm at home. I can put up with a certain amount of pain but advice on this site is to reduce pain as much as possible. So that's what I'm not sure about - at what point is pain too much? And what should I do about it?

You should be fine with this cocktail of meds, especially if you are icing and elevating. And not pushing yourself too hard!

Make sure you are moving your muscle groups a few times a day. Did they give you bed exercises? If so, don't do them if they hurt, just do enough to wake up each muscle group so the muscles don't forget how to work. Just experiment a little and do more only if it feels right.

The pain shouldn't be severe and moderate pain shouldn't last more than a minute or so. If something hurts that much, back off and don't do that particular movement for another day or two. You don't need to push it. Your hip will heal. If you push it too hard, you can injure yourself and put your healing back.

Hope this helps. You will be so much more comfortable at home!

Thank you for for your advice, I've been home for few hours getting used to moving around my house with daughters help. It's easier than I thought it would be, stairs no problem. I can stand up to bathroom basin for few minutes with the walker nearby. My daughter is impressed with how well I seem to be doing. I can see that I might easily overdo it though. So I must be careful. The pain is manageable at the moment with the meds they've given me. I'll have to see how that goes.

Bless your daughter to be there for you. It always helps to have a helping hand the first few days especially. We are the same age and I am impressed with your positive attitude.
Your progress will continue to improve on a weekly basis. Take it slow and if it hurts stop. So many try to rush heeling and it can end up in a set back. No rushing healing it takes up to 12 months for the whole body to adjust and heal.
It’s also important to eat well balanced meals our bodies need 2400 calories a day to heel. In my experience protien shakes are helpful and daily vitamins.
Remember to wear new shoes with good arch supports, it is very important to help your body adjust to the new implants. Walk in a good heel to toe gait and use Walker to build strength.
Sending healing vibes your way.

I checked with the hosp pharmacist and she said it's a matter of risk versus benefit when it comes to mixing blood thinners with ibuprofen. I had not been taking much ibuprofen before op so my blood
gastric problems. And I'm taking 400mg of paracetamol 3 times a day. I discontinued an opiord drug which gave me hallucinations! and tinnitus! Taking all these drugs requires a timetable written down as otherwise I would forget what you took when. My daughter is still with me but goes tom then I'll largely be managing on my own. Good luck with your hip journey

Oops message not sent correctly - should say I wasn't taking much ibuprofen before op so my blood was not too 'thin'. I also on a drug to protect stomach as ibuprofen can cause gastric problems.

That makes sense! I have been taking ibuprofen for years, always with stomach protection, but really noticed this year, how much I bled after a cut. I have no pain, at this point, just a headache, that is finally starting to fade, after 2 weeks.

My daughter and 4 year old grandson stayed with me, the night of my surgery and 2 nights after. At that point, we were all ready, for them to go home lol (2 dogs-3 cats) She came twice a week to change bandage, do some light housekeeping and picked up some groceries.

I’m sure you will do great! Every day is a step forward and will only get better:)

Day 6. Bit of an update on how I'm doing. I've just had my 4th night at home. Sleeping on my back is not too problematic, except 1st night when I didn't sleep at all. I felt so much better yesterday that I have overdone it! It was a beautiful sunny day and I was desperate for fresh air so with my sister nearby I walked out the front door and then a little way along the road and back. On crutches. It was marvellous! I then stood leaning against a wall in the sun for few mins then chatted to neighbour. Then rested with ice pack. Lots of chatting with sister who I hadn't seen for 18 month and later in kitchen standing to assist a little bit with food prep for dinner. Oh dear! After eating I virtually collapsed with exhaustion! I made it upstairs and onto my bed fully clothed and couldn't move for hours. This morning leg slightly swollen and I'm still feeling exhausted. I realise when so tired you loose the plot and can hardly think straight so I couldn't remember when I took last meds. So I left a gap of 8 hours with no pain meds and hip doesn't like it.
Question : is it the anaesthetic that causes bladder weakness? As that's what I've got and means numerous trips to bathroom with urgency (!).
I've been lucky to have someone stay for past 4 days. From now on it's just me and I must admit I've got used to help which has been much needed and appreciated. Although I can move about quite well and climb stairs the exhaustion was rather unexpected so I'll really have to pace myself once alone. Its all the little things like using grabber as somethings dropped on floor - or walking to fetch something.
Thinking I'll use backpack for carrying. Lots of good wishes to fellow hippies in your own recovery journeys.

is it the anaesthetic that causes bladder weakness? As that's what I've got and means numerous trips to bathroom with urgency
Most likely it’s due to the IV fluids received at the time of your surgery. Many also drink more water after surgery to clear the body of the anesthesia and stay adequately hydrated and if you’re doing so, that could be contributing to the urgency.

I do think you may have been flirting with a visit to the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we refer to it here. You engaged in a lot of activity and standing at only five days post op. Hopefully rest and ice will help today. I found the Activity Progression for THR very helpful in those first two months post op. Check it out under Number 5 in the Recovery Guidleines, Jaycey, left above, below your initial post. I think you’ll find the direction beneficial.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member