Shoulder Hemiarthropasty Ream and Run?...

dapplega

Country
United States United States
Anyone have experience with this shoulder replacement technique. Dr. Frederick Matsen in Seattle pioneered it. It is the same surgery (and OS) that Hope Solo had. On the humerus the surgery is the same as TSR. On the glenoid, instead of a plastic socket they gently ream the glenoid to ensure an exact match to the replacement head. A thin layer of microfiber grows and acts as a type of cartilage. The benefit is a full return to activities. The potential downside may be in longevity and potential glenoid wear. It also tends to be a longer recovery.

I have heard of that procedure, but I don't know about the longevity of it. Is this something you're considering? I would think it would only be an option available to someone who is fairly early in the shoulder disintegration process.

Hello @Jamie - Yes, it is one option I'm considering. I've seen three OS. Like my hip all say I am candidate for TSR when I'm ready. The Ream and Run I think is more dependent on glenoid, cuff, and overall muscle condition. Dr. Matsen felt I was a good candidate. He also does TSR and advised it was my decision. I'm concerned about the longevity for both techniques as shoulders don't appear to have the same longevity as hips from what I've researched...

Hi @dapplega
Sorry to read you're struggling with shoulder issues. Wishing you comfort and all the best as you research options and decide on a plan to move forward with.
Have a great week :)

Last edited:
I don't think the research is there at this point on shoulder replacements. There have been a significant number of improvements in the implants and surgical procedures over the last 5 years or so. But, I can tell you that the number of shoulder replacements done is increasing at a very rapid rate. So there soon should be more data available. How long you wait, of course, depends on you. I will say having waited too long to get mine done (I was caring for my ill husband for a few years), I would definitely say to do it before things got too bad. With my current shoulder replacement, I'm going to have to do significant work in recovery to regain muscle strength in my bicep and rotator cuff. The muscles became severely contracted.

@Tomas welcome to Bonesmart! Why not start a thread of your own to share your surgical experiences.

Just had Ream and Run 3 weeks ago . Doing mostly stretching at this point . Will continue to provide regular updates

@Doug H Welcome to BoneSmart. Do start your own thread in the Shoulder forum. We are very anxious to build up our shoulder area.

Of the 25,000 shoulder replacements performed in U.S. each year , roughly 125 are Ream and Runs. They are performed mostly by Dr. Matsen and orthopedic surgeons who trained under him during their fellowships at U of W in Seattle area as well as surgeons like mine who were trained by doctors who trained under Matsen.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom