BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Really frightened after checking out youtube

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Petrified, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Petrified

Petrified new member

United States United States
    My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, 4/11/19. I wanted to have this done, so I'm not sure why I find myself dreading this decision at the, so to speak, last hour. Too many youtube videos, maybe ... :bawl:I don't know ... every little thing seems to be upsetting me now.:scaredycat:Good grief!

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It’s normal to be petrified before this surgery, especially after watching one. I was scared and I’ve never watched one.

Hang out here with us.
    Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
    We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

3. Petrified

Petrified new member

I will hang here, thanks so much. Be nice to spend Wednesday eve/Thursday morn here until I have to leave for the hospital. :console2:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jockette

Since you’re so close to surgery I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

5. Petrified

Petrified new member

Thank you very much. Appreciate any and all help. :thumb: :console2:

• Like Like x 1
  6. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    I had to go thru the scared thing to address all the what ifs and let go. Most people have fears and concerns. I got thru it by being super organised! Hugs

7. Petrified

Petrified new member

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks... :console2:

8. Loopback17

Loopback17 new member

Don't watch anymore, let the doctor's do there job... I did the same thing, silly me... Your job will be afterwards in healing... This is also a great place for information after, it helped me so so much...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Petrified

Petrified new member

Much obliged, Loopback, for your kind and encouraging words. Indeed, there is much reading to do here and info to process. I only wish I had found this forum sooner. :console2:

10. Irish471

Irish471 member

Ooooh, YouTube definitely makes one want to do this :bolt:
    I don’t know of anyone who isn’t scared before this surgery. I had terrible anxiety before but once it was over, I felt such a sense of relief. Truly! The support you will get here is amazing! You’ll get through this just like we all have. Focus on getting prepared for when you come home. It will make you feel a little more at ease. And when you do get home, we’ll all be here for you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

I watched the YouTube videos before my first TKR too. I’m just morbidly curious about stuff. I think it would be unusual if you weren't nervous — I know I am and I’ve been through this before. You will wake up from surgery with a beautiful new knee and I’ll be right behind you on the 16th. I’ll be looking out for your recovery thread. Wishing you well.

12. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In the UK there was a programme on TV called Operation Live and they showed the whole of a TKR operation. This was before I had my op. I recorded it so that I could watch later.
    I mentioned it to the anaesthetist just before the op and he told me not to watch it. Apparently its not pleasant viewing.
    I'm still suffering at the moment so its not time to watch it now but I may still do at some stage.

13. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Petrified The first thing you need to do when you get to the hospital is tell everyone you meet that you are feeling anxious. They will do everything they can to make you comfortable. Remember - they do this everyday, several times per day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus junior member

Australia Australia
    Hey Petrified,

I am starting to have the same feelings over my bilateral TKR.... The only time I have been to hopsital is in the back of an ambulance, no time to think about things, different this time, been planning since last October, surgery due 5/28

But I am thinking more of the quality of life I will get back post op.

Good luck :)

15. Petrified

Petrified new member

Thank you so much: Trish471, swmrgirl, Bionic, Jaycey and Atlas aus for hanging out here and sharing parts of your story; I can't tell you how glad I am - selfishly, perhaps - to listen to you all, as well as communicate, real-time.

I was over in the post-op TKR thread very early this morning - where I read Irish471's post-op thread - until I had to stop and try to rest for a bit. Grabbed up my phone, a quilt, an ever-present bottle of water and waited for some - any at all - sleep to come.

It is 7:46 am, a cloudy/50 degree morning here in MA/US and my priority at the moment is to have a cup of coffee - maybe another one after that - and get myself moving; a PT is coming by today to survey the layout of our house because I will be coming back here after my discharge from the hospital 4/13, 4/14? Not sure about this date and I realized last night that it is the "not sure about anything" feelings I'm experiencing right now that are making me feel vulnerable and adrift and this, of course, is no one's fault but my own.

I can tell you, right off, that every nurse - be it office/lab or hospital (the pre-op nurses from the class I attended week before last) has been very helpful and reassuring. Also all my post-op/follow-up visits with my surgeon are already scheduled, a PT is in place to visit me at home 3 days a week for 7 weeks and... and... I'm hitting a brick wall here.

I have this urgent need to feel as if I'm doing something constructive and that I have some kind of say so in all that it is presently going on around me , so I will sign off for now and return later this afternoon/early evening.

Please stop by here again, everyone, and talk some more, or if you'd rather, direct me to your stories. I very much want to hear about and read them all.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  16. Jockette

It’s a little hard to have control in the hospital, especially in a post op, vulnerable state, but you will have some control while there.

If the pain management they offer you does not seem to work, ask for a change.

If they ask you to do an exercise that hurts, or they want to bend your knee for you, you definitely have the right to refuse that. I did not have that situation in the hospital but some members did.

The same goes for the PT that comes to your house. You should be the one that controls the PT session, not the PT. Remember, you are the employer and they work for you. If you don’t like their treatment you are allowed to fire them. Use your common sense and gut feelings. Some PTs have a protocol that has nothing to do with the individual patient.

Once you are home you will have much more control.

If you’d like to read some of my journey, there’s a link to my thread in my signature. Spoiler alert, I’m very chatty so my thread is long! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jockette

Oh, and as for feeling like you’re doing something constructive, keep in mind that resting, icing and elevating is not “just laying around doing nothing,” but it’s giving your body the best condition in which to heal and it’s a temporary situation. Invest in it wisely and you will have a better recovery than if you try to rush things by doing too much too soon.

We’ll be with you every step of the way.:console2:

18. jeffjob

jeffjob junior member

@Petrified Hello from your neighbor (USA / CT)!

I also am scheduled for this Thursday, 4/11 and I to am a bit anxious. This will be my biggest surgery, so of course I am anxious. I had my pre-OP visit with my OS yesterday. He operates out of the Bone & Joint Institute in Hartford, CT and comes highly recommended. He went over more detail then I may have wanted to know (even though I am a detailed person), LOL!

I have purposely not watched any videos of the surgery. I am curious and a big internet / youtube user, but no thank you to watching this! I will have my left knee done on 4/11 and then my right six weeks later.

So, (being your neighbor) it is foggy, cloudy, chilly here as well. I am keeping myself busy with my Honey-Do-Lists and just getting everything prepared. As I won't be able to do much immediately after surgery, I have been busy with the yard clean up and getting out all the yard furniture, which I will enjoy as I heal.

Work on your prep for your healing. Make sure your healing spot is equipped and ready. I bought an OSSUR ice machine, have my walker I borrowed, my cane, adult disposable facecloths, cleaning soap, few more grab bars around the house, etc.

I agree with what others have said, the team that will be working on you have done this many times. Yes, It may be the first time for you (it is me) but I have done all the things I can do to prepare. I have done my part, now it is up to them to do their part.

I had a cancer scare a while back and one thing I learned in recovery is to focus on what you know and what you can do or control. Do not focus on the unknown or what you cannot control. It sounds like you chose your team well, trust in them to get the job done!

Keep yourself busy doing all you can to prepare. Then be satisfied that you have done your part!

Be well and I will be thinking good thoughts for you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sounds like everything is well organized. Best wishes for this week!

20. tylermit

tylermit junior member

@Petrified I too am right behind you on the 16th. This forum has been a godsend for my preparation. Read as much as you can. Any and all your questions can and will be answered. I too am getting very anxious for this surgery. All of my other ones have led up to this one and hopefully it will be the last. Good luck and hang in there with the rest of us. We will all go through it together. I like the utube videos. I am getting the Mako robot assisted surgery so I wanted to see the difference between new and old styles.