Realistic time between knee and hip replacements

Catnapper

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for my first of two knee replacements in September, with the second to follow as soon as recovery on the first is judged to be far enough along.

I've been noticing lately that my right hip is sore on a fairly regular basis, and I assume it's arthritis and that I will need a replacement, although I haven't yet been officially diagnosed. Have any of you gone through this sequence of events, and if so, what was the timeline?

I've waited too long to get my knees done, and I don't want to repeat that painful experience with my hip.

Cannot advise you as to what is optimal as my surgeries were years apart due to lack of symptoms. However, I commend you on wanting to address the next issues as soon as you can. I would check with your OS as to what his recommendation is and when he is willing to do it. Each OS has a different viewpoint on what he feels is optimal.

It's generally up to the surgeon. I've known patients have a hip and a knee a few days apart. There are no rules about it.

@Catnapper some of this could be referred pain from your knees. I would be more inclined to proceed with the knees and see if this eases. Please keep us updated.

I had my second THR on 7/2/18 and eight weeks to the day later, had my RTKR. After both were done, I wished I had waited more time in between but as time went on, I’m glad I did it.

I personally would call your surgeons office today, explain what’s going on and see if they can get you in ASAP for X-rays. IF your hip is shot, your surgeon may want to replace that first. It seems many surgeons, mine included, say hips before knees.

Good luck!

with the second to follow as soon as recovery on the first is judged to be far enough along
Have you considered having both done at once? One surgery, one recovery, minimum recovery time.

I had my 2nd hip replacement on March 20th & having knee replacement on 14th October...
Surgeon wanted to go hip first to provide stability for knee!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom