BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Ready2\6

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by rose1940, Jan 8, 2019.

1. rose1940

rose1940 junior member

United States United States
    Been waiting to get a date since October - had to wait for to cortisone shot that only gave me relief 4 a few days. Now lots to learn in a short time.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @rose1940 Well done on getting that surgery date. Just under one month to go. Spend some time in our Library. Ask any questions you might have. We are with you all the way!

3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes!!

4. rose1940

rose1940 junior member

Got my preop scheduled 4 Jan 24th with my primary- also education class at hospital. They wanted to schedule my preop at the hospital as well but my surgeon is the 1 who suggested it be done by my primary. Happy about that cuz I am not fond of the drive to the hospital.

Just wondering about the fact that folks on this site seem 2b against physical therapy after- my surgeon highly recommends either rehab center or outpatient physical therapy or am I misreading something.

5. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You are not misreading, or only slightly anyway. We are against pain in PT, our view is that you get pain when the body is being damaged, and damage isn't helpful in recovery.

Do what you can and NO PAIN, MORE GAIN.

6. Jockette

We also believe:

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
    Time for pain and swelling to settle.
    Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
    along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

7. Jockette

Also, many members find that PTs and surgeons get carried away with their recommended exercises and cause us extra pain and swelling, beyond the natural pain and swelling we already have going on from the surgery.

Many here have cut way back on those exercises and allowed the body to heal first and found their pain and swelling was reduced.

Personally, next time, I will not go to PT at all. I will recover at my own speed (as we are all different) and with less emotional stress and definitely less pain. Some of my PT sessions took 2-3 days to recover from. Even before I found Bonesmart I thought that was counterproductive.

We also have just as many members who do go to PT and like it. It all depends on what kind of therapist you get, and their philosophy and what they have you do.

If you don’t feel right with the first therapist you get, ask for a different one, and if necessary, go to a different facility, or do some things at home.

Bonesmart is about a gentler approach to recovery, and especially, doing what you feel works for you. Just remember, you do have options and the freedom to decide what you do and don’t want to do. Many of us, including me, didn’t know that before surgery and we just did what we’re told, and that’s not always in our best interest.