TKR Ready to go?

FourCats

graduate
Country
United States United States
My TKR is scheduled for April 22. I have “passed” all my tests and had my pre-op appointments yesterday. I have my freezer filled with leftovers and/or microwaveable foods. I have made a few furniture adjustments to facilitate easier maneuvering with my walker. Spring cleaning done and arrangements for transportation to PT appointments made.

What am I forgetting?

Hi there!
So excited for you! My left knee was done on February 23rd, and I am recovering nicely.
Do you have an ice machine? I also had a CPM(continuous motion), for a month, and then I also have a wedge to ice and elevate.. big help!
I also ordered a bed table from Amazon, which I used for meals and laptop, it was a good purchase! I also have a riser on my toilet seat, which really helped!

Anything that makes you more comfortable is great!
Best of luck to you!

I have a handicapped toilet which is higher plus I have been using a bedside commode without the bucket over the toilet for help getting up and down. I also have a walk in shower which will be nice and a shower seat if needed.

I discovered after my arthroscopy that I can make my own gel ice packs using an ice bag, 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rubbing alcohol. It is very flexible and the cold lasts a long time with very little sweating.

Thanks for the ideas. One curiosity that I have is what it will feel like the first time I stand on the “new” knee. I guess I’ll find out pretty soon!

Sounds like you're ready to go. Good luck!

One suggestion-if you can get an ice machine, I totally recommend it. I also made ice packs myself-but I used them for the back of my knee as needed. I had ice machines for icing as they last a long time between changing out the frozen water bottles. I would ice almost 24/7 at first and only stopped icing when I was walking around the house, etc. (as long as you have a cloth between your skin and the icing source, you can ice as long as you like)

What was most wonderful was to be able to set the machine up for the night, and not need to get up to switch out the ice packs all night long. My ice machine would last 6-8 hours before needing to change the ice bottles. IMHO, that's so much better than changing ice packs every 30 minutes. Plus, ice packs start getting warmer as soon as they're applied to the site, but an ice machine stays fully cold for hours and hours, then you change out the bottles and it's still cold.

I just looked at the ice machine, looks awesome but definitely not in my budget.

The first time the nurse got me up to go to the washroom I was nervous to put my weight on leg (had a general, not a spinal). Leg was fine and no problem. It is my strong knee now. Just slow and easy.

Just got post operative instructions from surgeon and am a little freaked out with all the drugs and paraphernalia. Keep breathing, keep breathing...

Thanks for the ideas. One curiosity that I have is what it will feel like the first time I stand on the “new” knee. I guess I’ll find out pretty soon!
I had a lot of instability *before* my first knee due to a meniscus tear on top of the other issues--I was amazed at how strong and stable it felt the first time I walked with my new knee. Not that I was walking around the block or anything on day 1. :heehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Making my day before surgery to do list. Nothing major, just some odds and ends to tidy up the house and clear pathways. Nervous but if I weren’t, I’d be concerned. Not sure when I’ll be up to posting after surgery but appreciate all the prayers and positive thoughts!

Good luck tomorrow! I well remember those pre-surgery nerves. They're no fun, but it's almost here and soon you'll be on your way to recovery. See you on the other side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562