THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

Oh wow, Sara. I'm sorry to read this. I hope you're not in major pain.
Six to twelve month re-hab after six weeks in a sling is a long haul. I'll be following your journey and cheering you on along the way.
Wishing you comfort in all of this. :console2:
@SaraK

Ugh...my father went through this surgery and declared rehab the roughest part.
Swears his PT was a masochist ...but did recover well.
Sorry for the pain you are having.
Healing hugs, my friend.

Back in cold uk and at a computer 7 hours a day I note the old aches and pains coming back so have to make the effort to stretch more and to get up and move about more often.
I was just commenting on this same thing.....a combination of the cold, and too much sitting and not stretching/moving enough has me feeling kind of achy again, which I don't like one bit. I need to do exactly what you are working on as well! :loveshwr:

And a quick response to your question about heels...yes, I do wear them on occasion, and also find that I feel fairly aligned when I do. Mine are only 2-21/2 inches high, but I have worn several different pairs, and even danced in them with no ill effects. But I don't do it very often, and wouldn't think it would work for someone who wasn't already pretty recovered, and already used to wearing heels prior to the surgery.

Oh, Sara, that isn't good news at all. But it doesn't sound like you really have a choice with that much damage. Sometimes it's actually easier when it's so clear cut and you don't have to debate whether to do it or not. I have a small tear in my right bicep and a couple of spurs on my collarbone that cause pain, more sometimes than others. I had an MRI about 5 years ago and the surgeon said I could have surgery to repair them, or take it easy and work around them.....and hope I didn't eventually tear the whole rotator cuff. ( A 3-6 month recovery as opposed to a 6-12 like yours) Because I was still teaching, and really couldn't wrap my head around it, I opted to wait. So far, it's been a good decision, and as long as I am careful when lift and not hunching over too much, I rarely have pain. But I do worry sometimes that I may regret not having done it when it was minor. Hard to know in cases like mine. In your case....no choice.

And while shoulders are notoriously challenging, I have had 3 friends in the past 2 years who have had surgery. 2 of the 3 actually recovered faster than they had expected, and had such great outcomes. The PT is grueling but the shoulder is an area, like backs and knees that you do have to actively rehab. Do keep those of us here on the hip side apprised of how you are doing over on the shoulder side as well! I love your positive, upbeat outlook! :loveshwr:

Thanks @Debru4 for the support and info on your friends. The surgeon did say I could opt not to do the surgery but that full recovery was more likely with the surgery and the sooner it was done. I will sometimes question my decision to do the surgery and then I do something like open a door or pull the covers over me in bed and Mojo's favorite phase (oh my stars) would be the G-rated version of my words/thoughts). Sleep is also elusive.

Unfortunately, only a few rotator cuff repair threads on here so I'm going to try to really document my recovery on that forum to provide info for those that follow. I do appreciate your support and that of my other hippie friends. And of course, Layla and Mojo are always there cheering me on. I will continue to stop over here from time to time but you're always welcome to pop over there to say hello!

@SaraK - what???!!! So sorry to hear that you will need shoulder surgery! Guess we can't go more than a couple years without another surgery... :doh:

I know a friend of mine had that - was lifting weights (bench press), sounded like someone snapped a whip against the wall. Tore rotator cuff, bicep tendon and torn labrum. Had surgery to get it fixed and is fine now. Just be diligent about PT (which I have no doubt you will!)

Instead of polka, I was thinking more of a Riverdance style.... :egypdance:

@Marvy - I'd be happy with a couple of years in between. Every year, my New Year's resolution is no more surgery but I fail each time. 5th surgery in 3 years and 7th time under anesthesia in that time. UGH! Only other hippies, etc. can comprehend!

Powerlifting meet (sans benchlift in progress). 160 lbs squat - while rocking my "Titanium Reinforced" t-shirt.

Unfortunately, only a few rotator cuff repair threads on here so I'm going to try to really document my recovery on that forum to provide info for those that follow.
Please do @SaraK ! Our shoulder forum is growing and we would really appreciate your participation. Jamie is our resident expert as she had her shoulder replaced this time last year.

Actually, squat was 165 and final deadlift was 200 lb (yay, joined the 200 club)! I'll try to post video later (doesn't work from phone).

The video couldn't be posted (I couldn't get it small enough), but here are a couple of screen grabs from my 200 lb deadlift.

SaraK Deadlift 1.png 68987-2515c9d5cb7e8347dd69d1770c4a1296[1].png

:holysheep::xmark:
I will just pretend I didn’t see this.

Shoulder surgery isn't until next week but I set up the recovery thread (how's that for positive thinking) while I could still type. If anyone's interested, the link to that thread is in my signature.

Happy Anniversary to me!

Three years ago today I took the second step and became a double hippie! Despite the ups and downs I had with that second hip (2nd anniversary of the psoas release is later this month), I am so glad I made that choice!

Happy holidays to all of my hippie friends!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts