THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

Do I know how to have fun or what? Psoas tenotomy (release) scheduled for New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, must do under general anesthetic but at least it's outpatient.

Dr. Said no restrictions after - probably will need a walker or cane for first few days but should be driving and back to work in a couple of days (he usually does these on a Friday and the person can go back on Monday if they want).

Hmm - wonder if I can still go out dancing on NYE? Just kidding (maybe) - have to get Mojo and Layla something to worry about!

Sounds like an interesting way to spend your NYE lol! But hopefully that means the start of good things for your right hip in 2019.

New Year's Eve.?!:doh:Really?

Now I actually feel better!
I know where you will be and I won't worry So much, although I will be so so happy that you will be getting all of this sorted!

Hope you have a good weekend, friend.
2019 will be Your Year!:happyfeet:

Last edited:
She has a date :happydance: she has a date :happydance:
I'm happy that you'll soon be putting this all behind you, Sara.
Thank goodness it's not happening the week before or I'm sure you'd be out partying on the 31st.
I won't worry about you on NYE because you'll likely be on your sofa or bed watching the ball drop on tv
rather than out "shaking it", yourself. Hopefully after 13 months of recovery from one hip, or the other, 2019 will be a great year for you. I'm counting on that! :wink:
@SaraK

I definitely plan to do a bit of this :happyfeet:but maybe not this :spin:before surgery! Tonight I'm going to celebrate hip no. 2's birthday a couple of days early (and maybe tomorrow as well). Next week is my birthday weekend and 2 nights of dancing are planned.

Don't count me out entirely for NYE. The surgery IS outpatient and you know I'm impatient! I may not make midnight and won't be having cocktails, but I may find a way to go out for a little while. It will depend on how I'm feeling. Dancing may not be in the picture, though (except I am thinking back to dancing with my cane 6 and 7 days after the THR. Hmmmmm).

I can't just see Mojo :no-fin: and Layla :gaah:!

Ugh! Don't know what to do with you, Sara :hairpulling: :heehee:

Happy One Year Anniversary on Righty!
Happy Birthday too (early) in case I forget next weekend.

I know you'll be careful after your Psoas release so I'll try not to worry too much.
Enjoy the weekend!
@SaraK

Happy holidays @dougie0216 ! Keep providing that great example for all of us by not behaving! I'm looking forward to following that example soon.

:no-fin: and :bignono:
You will be a model patient, just for a change and give that hip a chance to heal!
You will dance again...in the spring.
When all begins anew.:flwrysmile:

Ah Mojo - I gotta be me! Plus side to side was never the problem. The Bone Smart way of walking yourself to recovery doesn't work with a psoas issue since walking irritates it. Dancing is about the only cardio left to me at the moment! I was the one that described dancing to my shocked PT as gentle addiction and abduction exercises set to music. Even with THR, dancing hurt less than walking. So I'll just plan to dance my way to recovery! :happyfeet::happyfeet::happyfeet:

It's hiking that will have to wait for spring. :heehee:

Last edited:
I will be tuning in on NYE for your activity report...'cause I doubt I'll have anything more exciting planned for myself!

While I'm preparing for the new surgery, I'm taking the time to reflect on that hip's 1 year hippiversary. Even with the psoas issues, I'm thankful for all that the new hip allows me to do!

Happy one-year right side anniversary! I can't believe it has almost been that long for me too. I agree with you 100% - new hips are an incredible gift.

Yes, Happy Hipversary.
It doesn't seem like a year with you (seems like at least five):rotfl:
Just kidding.
You know that I truly believe you will get there.
You are too hardheaded not to.
Have a good day, my hippy friend!:roseshwr:

:santaclap:It's getting real! Pre-op with primary 2 weeks ago. Cardiologist signed off without me coming in. Pre-op with surgeon today. Surgery in 2 weeks. I don't know the time yet, but the surgeon said he usually does hips early in the day.

I've been told no restrictions on activities, etc. I warned him that I was the type that went dancing 6 days after a hip replacement and he just laughed and said to let pain be my guide. :chrissy grin: OK to use the recumbent exercise bike right away. he said there is likely to be more swelling than with THR because they pump fluids into the joint when they do an arthroscopy but the body should reabsorb it within a couple of weeks. Since I had dizziness and nausea with the Norco, he's given me a script for Percocet and another for Zofran (anti-nausea). I'll probably wait until after surgery and see where the pain level is and how well Tylenol and meloxicam work.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing @Bone-obo when he makes his trek to Missouri in a couple weeks! :reindeersleigh

Happy holidays to everyone! Once again, I'm looking forward to a new year and hoping that this one is lived to the fullest without pain!

:dancing:

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing @Bone-obo when he makes his trek to Missouri in a couple weeks!
Google sez I could walk from my house to Rolla (just spit-balling here) in 293 hours. Assuming I walk 16 hours a day, have a good tail wind and smooth roads for the walker, I think I can just make it.

Interesting you had dizziness and nausea with Norco - me, too! Vitamin M (meloxicam) and Tylenol has been pushed to the limit to hold down my discomfort, but it's better than that loopy barfmatic feeling I got from Norco! I'll be interested in how the Percocet does - for, y'know, when I do my 3rd hip.

Keep us posted - I'm almost as excited about your surgery as I was about my own!

Well @Bone-obo, since St. Louis should be closer than Rolla, that might shave a few hours off the trek. You might want to find a rollator walker that has wheels on all 4 legs to make it a little easier.

When you get here, I'll treat you to some real BBQ. None of that Carolina rub stuff here - good ol' tomato and molasses based - sweet and smoky!

We'll see how pain management goes. At this point I'm thinking this percocet script may go the way of the one they forced on me after a c-section - sat in a drawer for a long time until I came across it and shredded it. If I can manage the pain with ice, Tylenol and vitamin M (Love the name) during they day (maybe with a Tramodol thrown in if necessary), I can stomach (pun intended) Norco for the night doses.

I've been told I'll probably only need a cane for a couple days but will probably bring it to the office for just in case for a week or so.

My first PT is set up for Th 1/3. Hmm . . . I wonder how much mischief I can get into before then or in between that appoint and the one on the following Monday. I guess it depends on when you arrive. By the time he finally kicks me out, my poor PT may be bald!

When you get here, I'll treat you to some real BBQ. None of that Carolina rub stuff here - good ol' tomato and molasses based - sweet and smoky!
I shall consider this ... error ... the consequence of how extreme your pain must be. Molasses?!

Although on some level, it does sound kinda tasty.

If I can manage the pain with ice, Tylenol and vitamin M (Love the name) during they day (maybe with a Tramodol thrown in if necessary), I can stomach (pun intended) Norco for the night doses.
YES! Good plan - I think this is the way to go.

@Bone-obo - I'm not sure "excited" is the right word but definitely ready to get this done! I took a Tramadol to help me sleep last night (definitely not fun having to stop the meloxicam) and feel so nauseous and dizzy this morning. If I didn't have a ton of work I need to get done this week, I would have stayed in bed this morning.

You seem like you're chugging along! Lots of strolls and starting to go caneless. You may be off the cane before me (although my OS expects me to only use it for a few days).

Make the best of your head start because I'm going to be coming your way soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom