THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

Shhhhh - I wanted to keep that news on ice (pun intended) until we were ready to publish lest someone either took our idea and ran with it (which we cannot do) or took our ice cream away!

You obviously didn't go to sleep when you said you were (or couldn't sleep) but I'm glad to see you're feeling well enough to joke around and lucid enough to remember our experiment @jaydub63

My baby is, of course, sleeping primarily across the new hip!
DN3h4DV7uIRuTRYj2

Didn't sleep much, just an hour at a stretch here and there. The calf squeezing machine keeps me awake. What's your excuse for being awake lol?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well @SaraK it does seem like they figure if we can walk and talk we must be ok. My work wasn’t too bad, but my recovery didn’t progress as quickly as yours. I went back part time at 4 weeks and honestly that was a bit soon for me (was doing phone calls and emails before that). I also told them I wouldn’t deal with anything while on narcotics. They are lucky you didn’t put in for thr full 12 weeks of fmla! Maybe talk with boss and explain that while you are doing well, your body is still in recovery and you want to prioritize tasks you can handle during your part-time status.

Wow some people are just brain dead. Then there’s the ones that don’t realize how draining the whole process is. Adding a link might be a good idea.

So, the message of the day is to breathe in and then breathe out and let go of the things I cannot control. My rant is over and I need to recognize that all except for the impatient colleague are working their tails off because of the new tax bill and are grateful for the assistance I can give. Luckily for them, I can help out and ditched the narcotics a couple of days ago. I'll just make sure I get a few extra days to relax over the holidays when I'll be more mobile and able to do more. If you haven't guessed before, I tend to be an optimist and look for the positive side of things. You can change the negative things you can and deal with those you can't - you just can't let them beat you! Thanks to all of you, I'm back in my happy place.

@jaydub63 - You will get used to the compression stockings and almost forget they're there. I wore them for 2 weeks this time and will again. They just become part of you and you stop noticing (like you begin to ignore the chimes of a clock after awhile). You'll get better sleep when you leave the hospital (which is why I went outpatient this time). But you'll sleep in snatches. For awhile, you might wake up several times a night to go to the bathroom, etc. but that helps to keep you from stiffening up too much. I also used that time to refresh my ice (Ice, Ice, Baby). By that time, I'm awake and will check in to see what's going on before I drift back off to sleep.

@MammaT - I guess I spoiled them. I went back at 2 weeks the first time (and worked about 50% the first week) and decided to only take a week off this time because of the tax bill (it was probably that or push my surgery off till next year and I didn't want to do that). I've apparently let my secret identity slip and they're now aware that I'm Wonder Woman.

As for the link, I'll just paraphrase Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men" - "The truth, they can't handle the truth." I might have even more work to do if I traumatize them so much that they can't do any work themselves. :loll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree about work..I went back too soon. No real choices but the more time you can give yourself...the better off you will be.
Aahhh...sometimes all we can do is what we can do.
Your exuberant spirit will see you through I know.
Hang in there...gets better :)

I find that really fascinating that in 2016 the x-rays and MRI showed nothing but mild OA and one year later the arthogram showed bone on bone. That's fast progression!! I have a feeling that tests aren't as reliable as we put stock in them and in the end when they open us up they get the real picture as to what was going on and how we were suffering.

@Bumblebee - the xray was at the beginning and may have been before the partial collapse, which is what caused the worst of the problems. Dr sent me to place for open MRI because I'm severely claustrophobic but I didn't really trust them. Second MRI several months later done with current state of art wide bore MRI (still needed 2 tries with 1mg Xanax to get thru it) and used contrast. Both of those made a big difference. In addition, two people looking at same MRI could have different interpretations. All in all, though, yes, it progressed fast. From normal activity to not being able to Do the weekly grocery shopping in 1 trip in a year!

Oh, I can relate to claustrophobic feelings in MRI, even the open one where you feel like you are being squished on top.:scaredycat:I still can't figure out why my MRI report showed high degree of cartilage loss yet the xray shows a nice gap in there indicating it's not that bad.:nah:

Back from PT - a little wiped out but feeling good. A few new exercises to increase mobility but nothing too difficult and nothing painful.

I've been cleared to start transitioning off the cane (had already been walking around the house without it this morning). May be ready to drive by early next week - a couple exercises will help that.

Now, lunch, a nap and a date with my work computer. Such an exciting life!

Ok, they're not all ungrateful trolls at my office. One of my partners (the one I've helped the most this week and the one that covered for me for the first surgery) always asks and expresses gratitude and I know every hour I work is an hour she might be able to sleep or spend with her kids. I just got flowers from her to say thanks! I guess I'll still answer her calls and emails.

:angel: good is as good does

Well, I already gave myself the first birthday present - a new hip and starting the road towards normalcy and enjoying being active. I know there were doubters when I first mentioned it, but my second gift is going to be going out for my birthday tonight. My 16 YO son has offered to cook dinner and then drive me to the get together. I'll listen to the band and do my share of chair dancing and then have him pick me up when I'm ready to leave. Since he has the ACT on Saturday, I won't be able to stay out late anyway. Since I haven't been taking the narcotics (other than a small bedtime dose) since Sunday and am not driving, I can even sample a couple of adult beverages and skip my bedtime does of meds! Yay - getting out and having some fun will be the best medicine!

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks