Ready and Waiting

elliott52

Country
United States United States
I’m scheduled for LTKR on June 20th. I have degenerative bone disease (OA) with bone on bone. I’m getting a block with twilight. I am very anxious about the recovery process and not so much about the actual surgery. I just want to be pain free and enjoy a normal life again. A couple of questions as I prepare: 1. Will I need someone to stay with me in the hospital and 2. How much movement will I have after surgery?

After surgery I spent time snoozing. I loved visitors but didn't need anyone to stay.

Re movement after surgery. The epidural wears off quickly unless they plan to leave it in place. Each hospital is different with mobilization. My surgery was in the morning and I was up to the bathroom by early afternoon. I used a walker at first and then crutches.
They will give you pain relief before you get up to help you be comfortable. That also varies from what I have read on this site.
I was pain controlled pretty well. It got achy and nurses checked my pain med requirements frequently.
Re pain free. I cant say I was pain free but it was ok and certainly not horrific. Lying in bed and getting regular meds meant I was comfortable. It wasnt pain free getting up but you do it slowly, carefully in a controlled way so it was ok. Just not pain free. Every day gets better. Being comfortable at rest is important. because that's how you spend most of your time at first. Regular meds are imprtant until you feel that's not necessary

1. No, I don't think you'll need someone to stay with you all the time.
2. As rosieNZ said, the spinal anaesthetic will wear off in a few hours. After that, you'll be able to move around the bed. They'll probably get you out of bed in the afternoon or evening evening of your surgery day, and teach you how to use a walker. You may even walk to the bathroom, with help.
Before you're discharged from hospital, you will be able to get out of bed unaided and get back in again, sometimes with just a little help. You'll be able to walk to and from the bathroom unaided, and walk around the corridors. you will also be taught how to negotiate stairs.

Thank you. This has helped ease some of my anxiety. I’m having difficulty sleeping now, waking up several times at night with pain. I’m already tired before having surgery and read that this will continue after surgery. Any suggestions.

Hello
For me the best part of the op being done is rather than knowing you'll get worse you now know it's improvrment time. Not necessary a direct line but you'll be on your way. Photo credit to @Celle (I think). Good luck!

Attachments

• 7BF12D37-240F-4251-95E3-E97CAE4C8D1C.jpeg
    7BF12D37-240F-4251-95E3-E97CAE4C8D1C.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 223
Your sleep overnight may be intermittent early on in your recovery,but naps are good. I had 1-2 daily naps (intentional or otherwise :heehee:). Guilt free naps!

I need suggestions as to what type of shoes to wear at the hospital. I know I will work with PT soon after surgery. I’m not a fan of the non skid socks the hospital provides.

You're going to be fine. Its a super common surgery with few complications. It will hurt for a little while but its not a big deal. You're going to want stable non slippery shoes that you can easily put on. I went home day of for both replacements so I didn't have time for shoes while I was there, just did the pt exercises in the socks.

I also didn't like to use the socks the hospital provides when walking around as you never know what may be on the floor. Even at my hospital with very good practices to keep everything clean and safe, things happen and I wasn't taking any chances. I used my regular slippers, which are slip-ons, as I didn't want to have to try to get footwear with backs onto my feet after knee surgery. But mine are not floppy or loose at all, they stay put quite well, so I didn't have to worry about a loose slip-on coming off mid-step. They also have a good thick rubber sole that doesn't slip so no worries there either.

Thank you for all the replies. Ten more days and after a painful sleepless night, I am so ready. Planning to use this week to get everything in order and then chill the 3 days next week with hair appointment,etc.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom