Lounge Doctor

TKR Re injury of Left Knee- TKR in future in 30yrs

Megcoop

Country
Australia Australia
Hey everyone I am new and just looking for some lived experience.
Last year at 28 I had a Left Knee bucket handle meniscus repair + an ACL reconstruction with a patella tendon donor. Everything healed well- I was functioning at 95% a little tightness in fully flexing my knee.

11 days ago I came off my dirt bike (motorbike) and landed on my left knee, after imaging I have been found to have a tear on my lateral meniscus horn and have given myself a good bruise to my tibia. Thankfully I havnt damaged my previous repairs. I have sprained various tendons and have swelling and bruising. But at this point no surgery needed.
In addition the imagining found I have degrading of articular cartilage in various places. My doctor warned I am gearing for a TKR and being only 29 now it is worrisome.
Doing the math on how long TKR last on the best days- I’m nearly guaranteed to need two of all goes well and I’m possibly looking at 3. Does anyone have experience with having TKR in their 30s? have you had to have them replaced?

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Megcoop Welcome to BoneSmart :welome: These days most implants for joint replacement are expected to last up to 30 years. And, yes, we have members who are your age who have had knee replacements. If you go over to the knee post-op area you can look through some of the threads there to find some of our younger members.

Did you ask your doctor if there were any ways he could suggest to avoid further damage to your knee? Or anything you could do to strengthen it at this point in time?

OP
OP
M

Megcoop

Country
Australia Australia
Thank you for your reply and moving the thread,
Yeah he said to obviously avoiding further trauma and then physio input to strengthen the surrounding muscles. Other than that the damage has already been done I guess.

Rosielx

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi. I was diagnosed with oa in my early thirties. I was offered a knee replacement at 42. I declined. I've been wearing an unloader knee brace for nearly ten years and this help with my mobility and pain levels. I'm seeing surgeon soon as MRI showed extensive knee damage but I can walk and am relatively pain free.

BBCG

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I was diagnosed with arthritis in my early 40s, but by keeping moving yet (luckily!) avoiding injury, not doing high-impact sports at that point, I made it to 64 before I really needed my first TKR in 2016. I rode an Elliptigo to avoid running impact, etc.

The last straw was when it collapsed mid-yoga class! Fun!

I made it to TKR #2 over an added 5 years by wearing a brace that was neoprene, and wrapped around my knee then up and around my waist. It helped align my knee better to where it should have been (I was very knock-kneed.)

I figure mine was caused by genetics, partly, but I also did high-impact exercise as a twenty- and thirty-something, too!

I just turned 70 and might need a second knee because I have genes full of 90-100 year olds!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Badbone
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom