Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR RCGX7 in recovery

RCGX7

Country
United States United States
Thanks for the concern and comments. I chose Rothman clinic and thank God I did. My right hip implant is two screws holding the metal cup w/ceramic liner with titanium implant with ball pressed into the cup. My surgeon has 18yrs exp. I was supposed to get bilateral hip procedure, but because I had significant blood loss he opted to just do the worse one and done back later for the left side. This was fri.8/7. Kept me overnight doing some bed exercises and walking with a walker therapy during the day and night. Even practiced using the walker and cane on model stairs with a PT sat. a.m.Got released Sat. afternoon with PT instructions and several medicines to take. Getting to stay ahead on my pain meds to do the exercises like walking roughly 10min every waking hr.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Glad you are home and pain is well managed. It would have been nice to have it All done but obviously there are concerns with bilateral and your surgeon wants you to be in a good position to heal.
I am requesting the moderators to move this to postop so you will be officially on the Recovery Side.:ok:
I will add Right THR August 7, 2020 to your signature.
Stay hydrated so you can try to bounce back from the blood loss.
I didn't have much of an appetite the first week but did better to have something on my stomach for taking meds and keptc my big hospital sippy cup by my chair to stay hydrated.
Inevitably, this led to the walk to the bathroom...roughly 10 minutes every waking hour:) :-) (:

Foods such as lean red meat, poultry, fish, leafy green vegetables, brown rice, lentils and beans can all boost your haemoglobin. Vitamin C helps with iron absorption, so to get the most from the food you eat, ypu might want to drink a glass of vitamin C-rich fruit juice with your meal.

I will leave you the recovery guidelines.

Hope you rest well today...sending healing vibes.:SUNsmile:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@RCGX7 I moved your post op post to the recovery side. Use this thread to ask any questions or post any updates. That way we have all your information in one place if we need to advise you.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new hip.. I am a Rothman graduate, also. It was a very good experience all of the way around.

My surgeon was Dr Hozack, he has many years of experience ( not sure how many) and I'm wondering if he is your surgeon too?

Your main job for now is to rest, ice, walk, take meds and repeat! :ice:

OP
OP
R

RCGX7

Country
Hey CricketHip, my surgeon is Dr. Arnold. Very nice staff and hospital. It was encouraging to see all my fellow patients walking back and forth pass my room with their walkers assisted by nurses and PT staff. Made me want join them.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome and congratulations on your shiny new hip. Your surgeon sounds wonderful and wise. It must have been a disappointment to have only one hip done but so much better than taking a risk. Just think you will have one strong hip to support you in your next replacement. Rest, ice and elevate and have a peaceful day.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome and congrats on that new hip! Sorry you aren't able to do the one and done but at least you'll have one good one to lean on for your next recovery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello :wave:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear as time allows. Hopefully all is well and you’re enjoying a nice holiday weekend. Will look forward to an update one day soon. :fingersx:
All the best as you continue the journey! :walking:
@RCGX7

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RubiJane
Recent bookmarks