THR Ravenina’s recovery thread

Thank you, Layla! It seems like so much has happened over the past three months. I feel great and am more active every day and losing weight. Back to school on Thursday; it will be good to have a routine to get into and work to keep me busy. I hope all is well with you!

Three and a half months out, and I am struggling with swollen ankles. Is this likely due to the surgery? I had minimal swelling post-op, and IIRC this issue started after my first surgery. I'm still feeling great, better every day, I'm drinking lots of water, and am on my feet a lot due to teaching - it's great being back in the classroom. Ankles are nearly normal in the morning but swell as the day goes on. Is this something to be concerned about? Would a diuretic help? Resting and elevating throughout the day isn't an option at the school. Ankles are not painful generally; once in a while I get a soreness that goes away with stretching. But the swelling persists.

Hi @ravenina
I missed your post above until now. My guess is that your swelling is due to surgery, but also the prolonged standing, or sitting you're probably doing while teaching. I've often read swelling can last for 3-6 months post op, but my surgeon says up until one year post op for some. You may want to touch base with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend if the swelling is new or severe. Otherwise muscle movement such as walking should help along with elevating when you're able to after work. Your surgeon may also suggest light compression stockings at work as a possibility for a time.
Wishing you a Happy Four Month Anniversary and a wonderful Autumn in Spain. :SUNsmile:

Hi @ravenina
I missed your post above until now. My guess is that your swelling is due to surgery, but also the prolonged standing, or sitting you're probably doing while teaching. I've often read swelling can last for 3-6 months post op, but my surgeon says up until one year post op for some. You may want to touch base with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend if the swelling is new or severe. Otherwise muscle movement such as walking should help along with elevating when you're able to after work. Your surgeon may also suggest light compression stockings at work as a possibility for a time.
Wishing you a Happy Four Month Anniversary and a wonderful Autumn in Spain. :SUNsmile:

Thank you! The swelling has gone down since I’ve posted; I’m at my GP now for unrelated issues and will bring it up but I’ve got another check up with the surgeon in November anyway. I feel great and I bet it’s due to the increase in movement since classes started up again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts