BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Rate my Pre-OP equipment list, please

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by ErikW, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ErikW

ErikW new member

United States United States
    How badly will I need the things I have on this list?
    Are there things I will really want that are not on this list?

Here's the list link:
    http://a.co/eAOSuT6

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to BoneSmart! Can I first ask that you choose a user name other than what you have on your avatar. The name [username] is going to be very confusing when you are posting. Please reply on this thread and I will make the change for you in your profile.

Your list is very extensive. In many cases you can make due with existing things you have at home. For instance the pillow for elevation. A couple of cushions or pillows stack can work just fine.

Here's a link to a thread from our Library Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home . You can compare your list to recommendations from our members.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You also need to tell us if you're male or female!

4. Toddlermom

Toddlermom graduate

Instead of a shoe horn, I bought some new shoes and lived in them. They were slip on and backless tennis shoes like this, but I got them on sale. Between these and my slip on sandals, I was good.
    https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style/11940/d-lites-resilient/nvw

Underwear a size bigger to accommodate some extra swelling for a while. (As a lady, I got some boy shorts with lacy edges so the elastic didn't dig.). Went without undies for a while though.

I preferred nightgowns and flowing slip on dresses for a while. Wore the nightgowns made with slippery material CONSTANTLY because they helped me move the leg and tush with less resistance.

I never needed a leg lifter at 42 yrs old, but my mother definitely did.

However, I rented a hospital bed and stayed downstairs for the first two weeks. Others swear by a recliner or their own bed instead!

No specialized pillows, just my regular ones and some extra foam padding on my rented hospital bed.

At least 2 ice packs. One in use and one refreezing in the freezer.

Grabber - yes

Elevated potty seat - I preferred the one that was with handles.

I borrowed an extra walker for a short time....so I had one upstairs and one downstairs. Just so I didn't have to deal with transport. I was off the walker pretty quickly though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dlp

dlp senior

My 2 cents:

For shoelaces, take a look at Hickies No-Tie laces, also available on Amazon - so much nicer (though a bit pricier) than the generic ones you have selected. Many colors available.

Consider a cane. Helps with balance once you are more mobile. Even when I didn't really need it completely, I found it helped serve as a warning to others to watch out. People are still often self-absorbed and inconsiderate, but at the very least you can give those people a whack. ;) Just kidding.... mostly...

Dressing stick - I found that model to be garbage (designed by committee, most likely), but I don't have a real viable alternative for you. I'm considering the "Home-X Adjustable Dressing Aid Stick" for use after my next surgery.

Sock aid - consider one if you plan to wear socks. The dressing stick will ruin them if you are thinking of using the hook end to help put them on.

I didn't need larger underwear - my cotton boxer-briefs were stretchy enough that any swelling wasn't an issue.

Also didn't need a leg lifter at age 51, but YMMV.

I like that gel pack wrap - might get one for next time... but yeah, as Toddlermom notes - good to have a few for rotation.

Good luck!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

I didn't use leg lifter, although someone loaned me one. I didn't get special pillows, just used a couple of extra regular ones for elevation and keeping legs apart at night. I would get a sock aid if you'll be wearing socks. I used slip on shoes - the few times I wore tie shoes I got someone to tie the one on my op leg until I could do it myself (week 6). Dressing stick was handy mostly for getting socks and pants off. Might want to get 2 grabbers and I second getting a cane. I got a folding one and a regular one. Also second the raised toilet seat with handles and having multiple gel packs as suggested above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MammaT

MammaT supremo

I was given sock device, a basic grabber, leg lifter, shoe horn and long handled sponge when I attended joint replacement camp. I find grabbers useful for getting clothes off and on.

I like the gel ice packs that can wrap at different parts of leg and butt ( hard to tell where ice will be needed when).

I used leg lifter alot with first hip ( had log leg), but not so much with second. A robe belt or something similar can work if needed.

I recommend a long handed back scratcher.

8. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Other things may be useful depending on how much help you'll have in early days after surgery and if you'll have any hip restrictions - usually based on the approach used by your surgeon and his/her preferences. Long handled bath items, bath/shower seats, grab bars may be needed for bathing. I used a small tote bag to carry things while I was using a walker. Will you need to take care of pets?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toddlermom

Toddlermom graduate

I bought a Home Depot carpenter belt for $1 and tied it to my walker to carry things in the first week. I also used a bath chair for a while. I just got tired in the shower!

Sorry for all my girl references above, but another lady will certainly read this thread too and the nightgown tip really helped me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. You'll have enough to open a store.
    Wishing you comfort and peace as you await your surgery on March 13th.
    It's going to be a life changer.
    A great day to you....Happy Valentines Day!
    @ErikW