Rapid Deterioration Prior to Surgery

snorkelergrl

Country
United States United States
Anyone else experiencing a rapid deterioration in their knee prior to surgery?

My surgery is scheduled December 8 and two weeks ago my knee started going downhill fast. I started using a cane last week and this week I am on crutches, barely able to bear weight. Nothing touches the pain - icing, Tylenol, Naproxen. I was hoping this was a temporary flare up, but this seems more serious.

I am barely able to make it from the parking lot to my work site - luckily I have a desk job.

I'm feeling a bit panicky because I have so much to do prior to the surgery. I recently bought a "fixer upper" home (before I knew I would need a TKR) and am in the midst of renovations. I live alone and am just feeling overwhelmed.

@snorkelergrl, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time and that your knee problems have advanced. My surgery is planned the first week in November and I find that I am losing a bit of patience with the wait. I cannot imagine trying to rehab a house with knee pain. Just last week I stepped up quickly and felt a sharp and lasting pain in the front of my knee. I hobbled through both of my jobs and am so fortunate that the pain subsided with sleep, ice and elevation. Perhaps @Josephine can advise you.

Hang in there.

best,
Sherry

A lot of people have the reverse, where their knee feels unexpectedly better. I’m sorry yours is being extra cranky. :nah:

You may have to stay off your knee more than you have been. I know that’s difficult with so much work to do, but if you can put some things off, or hire a more able body to do some of it, that would give your knee a chance to rest. I hope Josephine can offer more useful words.

this week I am on crutches, barely able to bear weight.
I had barely any ongoing pain, just what I refer to as a 'stone in the shoe' pain which came and went erratically. Sometimes it lasted for an hour, sometimes for a week but I knew what caused it so let me share that with you.

Arthritis has the effect of making our joints crumble like an old concrete step.

ai64.tinypic.com_wb2fr6.jpg

It breaks down, creating lots of grit and debris. Generally this stays in the pouches at the side of the joint but every so often, a bit gets into the weight bearing part of the joint and then we get that extreme pain and can't bear weight on the leg at all! Pain killers do nothing, nor do things like braces. We are just conscious of this horrible burning pain that all of a sudden goes away!

ai66.tinypic.com_vcxieq.jpg

It's every bit as disabling as the constant bone-on-bone pain so many others suffer and is a very good indicator that a joint replacement is needed.

Nothing touches the pain - icing, Tylenol, Naproxen.
And this is the tragedy - there is nothing at all that will help you, only a knee replacement. Sorry that sounds somewhat trite but it's true. Having experienced lots of the 'grit in the knee' episodes I describe above, I determined that no way was I going to suffer the same with the second knee and had it done probably a bit earlier than I might have done.

I know it's little comfort to you now but I can only suggest that you leave your renovating for now and let the knee take priority. It's a shame you have so long to wait.

I can relate 100% to your issue! I have right TKR scheduled Nov 16 and in the last few weeks my knees, especially the right one has been giving me soo much trouble that I wish I had surgery scheduled sooner. I ice and take some otc pain meds, but it just barely takes the edge off. I try to stay off of them as much as I can right now, but it's hard, 3 kids, many activities etc.

Holding my hand up, "Me too." We installed a new hot water boiler in August. I ran up and down to the basement, more than a few times, while the technician was hooking up the thermostats, 2 story house with basement and 4 zones of heat. The next morning I got out of bed and almost had my knee collapse under me. I had to use my cane for a week. Not painful but still disconcerting. I ordered my temporary HC placards for the car that week. :flabber: Have not had to use them yet.:egypdance:

Thank you all--so glad to hear I am not alone! I keep hoping this is a flare up and it will subside. I remember I had a flare up like this with my other knee before that one was replaced and they put me in a knee immobilizer for a week or so. I still have it and may try using it, although I've heard there are downsides (loss of muscle mass etc). Just ordered some of those new forearm ergonomic crutches to try too. Knowing we're all in this together helps so much! :console2:

Hi Snorkelergirl,

My left TKR is 11/1 and in the last two weeks that knee has really worsened. I thought it was "in my head," but this thread supports the fact that it is getting worse.

Can I just share a couple of experiences I've had and offer a couple of ideas?

Several years ago I had catastrophic illness following two major surgeries within 2 weeks of each other. Between my church parish and nearby friends, folks coordinated getting meals, picking up and taking care of my daughter (5 y/o), etc. etc. through my long recovery. Do you have a group(s) who can support you in these ways?

I think it would be great if you/a friend could form a possee to prep/clear/and otherwise get the areas of your house in shape that you'll be traveling post-knee surgery so you can rest and move about with as little struggle as possible. Or would it be possible for several acquaintances to invite you to stay with them for a few days and then take you to the next person, etc..

I was a total introvert and control freak and woman who could leap tall buildings in a single bound and could never imagine asking anyone for anything. .... until I was unconscious/seriously ill and had no choice.
I have a wonderful husband now and a grown daughter with family across town, plus 2-3 close friends who will also check on me.

But believe me, if I had no one, as I once did, I'd recruit acquaintances/friends and be using e-mail and one of those free online schedulers to line up a healing crew.

And know I'm going to hold you up in thoughts and prayers through your and my post-op journey .

Oddly enough, the last few weeks before my bilateral tkr, my knees both felt so good that I was seriously questioning if I needed surgery! I wondered if the prebab exercises I had done for three months were finally helping?. The Dr reassured me after surgery that yes, they both were bad enough to be replaced!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom