Range of motion post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet that the longer we have been w/o ROM (for me it has been over 20 years since I have been able to sit cross legged) the harder it is to get range back. (Bet Melissa is already heads and shoulders ahead of me for that reason!!!)

Just my 2 cents.

Laurie

I think you're right on there. I haven't been able to sit indian style since college (~15 yrs) and probably still can't (haven't tried actually!). But every week I notice how much easier it is to bend over and pick something up off the ground (which used to be an embarrassing ordeal before), squat, etc. I attribute a lot of the odd aches and pains to this newfound freedom of movement as muscles are getting re-stretched to accomodate their new ability.

Here's to more aches and pains and more range of motion!

D

I have never been able to even sit cross legged! And when it came to riding, my adductors were (are) so tight I was on that saddle like a clothes peg on a linen line!

Wow, what a timely topic! I'm at 9 weeks a couple of days ago, and have been wondering the same thing. ( By the way Josephine, I just noticed your surgery date...same as my Rt. hip! ..And, as I recall, Melissa too.)
My first session ( mainly for evaluation of ROM, strength, etc.) with my Outpatient Therapist at my OS' office is next week. I've been back to work for about three weeks now, and didn't have time to schedule OP/PT before. Got the O.K. for 4 weeks, @ 3X a week. My second post-op visit to my OS' office was 5/1/09, and I saw my OS' Phys. Asst.for this visit. I wasn't real impressed. My main/Lt. Hip OS ( Dr. 'P' ) told me when he referred me to 'Dr. 'T', that 'T' had no bedside manner, and the attitude carried over to most of his staff. Very true.
I know that my opinion is somewhat tainted, however. AFTER I had my 2nd.( Rt. ) hip done, I found this Board, and REALLY started doing the self-education I should have done long ago. I was stunned by what I DIDN'T know...( like there WERE things like 'Anterior' and 'M.I.S.' methods, etc. ) and would have asked about had I been more informed. I had a a list of questions I laid on the P.A.....like with the Posterior method cutting thru /splitting muscles, cutting thru/detaching/'releasing' tendons ( External rotators ), what motion/range/permanent weakness is induced that will be an issue for me in the short term, and for life? He replied that they "didn't cut thru/detach ANY muscles/muscle structures..." HMmmmmm.
My range of motion check consisted of me sitting in a chair facing him, with my feet flat on the floor. He cups his hands under my Rt. knee, vertically lifts it about 3 inches, and carefully swings my suspended lower leg/foot about two inches left and right like a pendelum, and says..." looks pretty good...". "Any pains?" ( ummm...no.) End of visit.
I had ZERO ROM checks by my OS or his staff prior to surgery as a baseline reference.
My PT/Eval. visit next week should be enlightening. Mt hip IS better though. Ahhh well.
Lee.

Hi all! I had such a busy work week, I hardly had time to post at all this week. Just wanted to say hi before I go to sleep. Snookatcher, yes, I have the same surgery date as you then 3/17/09! At 9 weeks, I am doing sooo much better. I hardly have any limp; however, my pelvis is STILL tilted a bit and still favoring the one side. I'm trying to keep up with PT and doing it on my own as well, as it has really helped with my ROM. I still can't sit indian style the way I would like to, but I'm getting there.

Have a wonderful weekend!!
Melissa

Hi folks,
Now I'll preface this by saying its early days yet, but I'm curious about reaching the magic 90 degrees. I'm at about 75 at a serious push/effort....and I'm wondering how long it will take to get to the magic 90 degrees, let alone beyond it!....no worrying about restrictions, I 'm no where near breaking them!....anybody else out there not reaching 90?
Rachel

i was laying down last night and i used to sleep with my right leg semi froglegged cant do that now but i'm going to take a ton of pics today because i want to get a good idea of my exact rom pre. melissa is the one that got me thinking about doing that her blog was full of inspiration for me. laurie you said its been 20 years and i think that is going to be the difference for me i've never done alot of things others have i feel like i've always been on hip precautions. lol. so i think my pics are what i need, i'll have to compare to myself. thanks yall.
monique.

Hey guys-

I am just at 3 weeks po 2nd surgery after break so I am just happy to be walking. I am now looking fwd to rom now..thinking of all the things I could do before this mess began! Also- I plan to ask and see where I am at now. I should be informed! I feel so dumb compared to Scott! You even know the size of your new hip! I'm going to ask that too! I read all these posts and it has really helped my spirits and I am pulling for everyone!:wub:

Hi folks,
Now I'll preface this by saying its early days yet, but I'm curious about reaching the magic 90 degrees. I'm at about 75 at a serious push/effort....and I'm wondering how long it will take to get to the magic 90 degrees, let alone beyond it!....no worrying about restrictions, I 'm no where near breaking them!....anybody else out there not reaching 90?
Rachel

Wow, Kangaroo..I could go well beyond 90 and have been able to shortly after surgery- we just aren't supposed to until we heal properly. Im sure Jo will look at this and get you a good answer. What kind of parts did you get?

Parts? ceramic on ceramic....as to the brand I haven't a clue....i must admit the 90 degree thing is a bit frustrating....I know i've had shortened muscles and poor muscle mass (wasting) ....life long history etc ...but I still do find it frustrating, the PT tells me to be patient...Im only 4 weeks in.... just to keep plugging at it, stretching those glutes etc....
Life is improving apart from this and I'm basically not in pain, so I'm not too distressed...still got a huge trendelumburg (spelling?) gait....such is life...it could be worse....
Rachel

Nan may 11 2009 trhr plus other things done I'll just be glad to out of pain and be able walk and no pain

Hi Nan! Glad you are done with your surgery. Are you taking any medicine? If not please do . Dont sit in pain like you said. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Please post and let us know how you are doing .............My prayers are with you.............Kim

Hey guys-

I am just at 3 weeks po 2nd surgery after break so I am just happy to be walking. I am now looking fwd to rom now..thinking of all the things I could do before this mess began! Also- I plan to ask and see where I am at now. I should be informed! I feel so dumb compared to Scott! You even know the size of your new hip! I'm going to ask that too! I read all these posts and it has really helped my spirits and I am pulling for everyone!:wub:

Definitely don't feel dumb! I think it's a guy thing. I've seen several of us comment on the type and exact size of our prosthetic. We are inherently curious about any type of equipment :D

....no worrying about restrictions, I 'm no where near breaking them!....anybody else out there not reaching 90?
Rachel

Hi - I'm 5 weeks post op and am now at about 80 degrees.
I (and PT) are sure this is just down to many years of reduced ROM, muscle waste etc and that progress in this area will come, but may take some time and effort.
However I still feel fantastic and am much more flexible than I was pre op (was down to less than 70 degrees then with ZERO rotation).
And also there is the 'small' matter of NO PAIN :D (still makes me laugh 'cos it doesn't hurt to move !!:D)

Regards
Andy

Andy.....you HAVE to be one of the happiest hippies I've every seen. God bless you and your bubbly posts! Keep 'em coming!! I'm sure you bring LOTS of smiles.

Andy.....you HAVE to be one of the happiest hippies I've every seen. God bless you and your bubbly posts! Keep 'em coming!! I'm sure you bring LOTS of smiles.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush: Thank you Jamie :blush:
I admit I am extemely happy with the way things have gone for me. It is only now that I realise how bad things must have been pre op:hissy:.
Oh - and I do LOVE a laugh :D:D:D:lvros:

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy for that, I'm pain free too, except for an occasional panadol...with only mild annoyance.....I suspect the years of pathetic ROM has hindered my development, I suspect those of us (previously afflicted) with long term @^$&%&* hip syndrome just take longer to get the muscles and ligaments to stretch and move........my PTs (the rehab centre have a few) have all commented on my "butless" butt!!!
Keep stretching!
Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Pleased to hear all is well, I agree that all the time we spent immobile does take it's toll on the muscles but they slowly but surely build up again.

Thanks Andy for that, I'm pain free too, except for an occasional panadol...with only mild annoyance.....I suspect the years of pathetic ROM has hindered my development, I suspect those of us (previously afflicted) with long term @^$&%&* hip syndrome just take longer to get the muscles and ligaments to stretch and move........my PTs (the rehab centre have a few) have all commented on my "butless" butt!!!
Keep stretching!
Rachel

Hi Rachel
Exactly - I think we 'long term' sufferers just have to be a little more patient patients - lol:D:D
I have also had the 'butless' butt comment from my physio:blush:. He advises tensing my glutes whenever I get the opportunity - you do get a few strange looks doing that in public tho' - so be careful - he he he :hehe::hehe::hehe:

And as you rightly say - keep stretching :thmb::evil:

You know it doesn't take as long as i expected. If I concentrate REALLY hard and try to walk REALLY REALLY straight I almost look straightish.....actually Im not straight but I am HEAPS straighter than I was presurgery, and straighter than I have been for 20 years!....Now I've just got to build up the muscle strength and fill in that butless butt with real muscle. Actually I want to become stronger all over....arms, shoulders, hips....the works...I'm sick of being a wimp....and funny enough I actually don't mind the exercise at the moment. I expected it to be a big chore!!!...and I can't wait to get on a real bike and go for a ride. The PT has got me on an exercise bike....the first time Ive pedalled since I was 25! .Thats almost 20 years!....so whilst Im not up to 90 degrees, I'm closer than I was pre surgery!
Rachel

Rachel, I'm so happy to hear how you are doing. Aren't you glad you went through it all? I love hearing about your progress. Keep posting.

My ROM was actually pretty decent prior to surgery -- just had that nagging pain on long walks. Immediately after surgery, I was very stiff and swollen in the hip, knee, and ankle on the operated side. I couldn't even pedal the stationary bicycle even once around! At 8 weeks post-op, I am almost back back to where I was pre-surgery. My restrictions are lifted so I am doing some daily stretching exercises from my PT to get back full ROM. It's all looking very good.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member