Raised commode seat and shoe advice please?

JHPainter

Country
United States United States
Hi there,

I need your advice and help.

Do you have any recommendations on raised commode seats? Is it possible to get a heated raised commode seat (Ha ha - just kidding - kind of???)

Also, I confess I am a birkenstock + socks person and I wonder if this will work after my surgery?

If you don't think birkenstocks (with a strap around the back) will work, is there any chance you could share a photo of the best, comfy shoe you had after your hip surgery?

How about socks? Do you find you can put them on yourself or I am going to need one of those grabber thingies and/or ask my dear husband and visiting family and friends to help.

I already have baggy pants but need your ideas on shoes, socks and raised commode seat.

Thank youuuu

Lol. A heated toilet seat would be AWESOME!

I know my recovery instructions include not bending at the waist or bending my knees more than 45°. You will probably need some assistance

Last edited:
Hi @JHPainter
Welcome to BoneSmart!
I love your avatar, are you a painter?
I think you'll like it here. Hopefully you stop by often.
Below you will find a list of recovery items that you may find useful.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/

I'm wondering if you've scheduled a surgery date? If so, please post it so we can create your signature.
Socks are difficult to put on post op. You will need assistance for a time, or the use of a sock aid.
I've also included some feedback from other members in regard to shoes after recovery. Hope this helps!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/shoes-for-recovery.42383/

A great week to you!

I got one of the adjustable bedsides type commodes with arms that you can place over toilet and use as shower chair. I ended up getting a separate shower chair so I did have to move things around ( I live on my own):

There are a variety of devices that help with socks. I agree Birkenstock’s with strap may not work well.

Check out the link Layla provide-it really covers pretty much everything.

@JHPainter For socks just purchase a sock aid (use and search engine to see what this is).

Many areas will not let you wear sandals or shoes with a back strap. I purchased a comfy pair of slip-on shoes and a long handled shoehorn.

I purchased a couple of raised toilet seats with adjustable handles that just attached to the toilet with a screw mechanism. Very easy to attach it the toilet and the handles made it easy to get on and off after surgery. Also got a sock aid. You could probably use a grabber but the sock aid holds the sock open which makes it much easier to get on. You will need a grabber (probably more than one!) for other uses. Walgreen's website was my go to for everything and it all got delivered very quickly.

Hi @JHPainter , I had a bit of trial and error when purchasing my raised toilet seat. I'll share my issues in the event they can help you or someone else. I wanted a raised toilet seat that did not involve any screws so that it could be easily removed when others needed to use the bathroom. I also thought it would be easier to have a portable one to use in the other bathrooms in the house. So I got a portable seat raiser along with this safety rail that also doesn't need to bolted/screwed in anything and is easily removed.

It turns out that the portable raiser only fits my toilet in the downstairs powder room and not any of the toilets upstairs, so I will use that when I'm downstairs. The issue with the upstairs toilets is that we have Toto washlets (they're like a bidet) on those and they would need to be removed in order to use any of the raisers that fit on top of the toilets. I didn't want to uninstall the washlets.

It's a bedside commode that can also be used over a toilet, you just have to remove the bucket. This fits and will work great upstairs, and is lightweight so it can be moved aside or used in another bathroom if needed.

I'm glad that I started the process early because I hadn't anticipated there would be a problem with the washlets.

As for shoes, I have a very comfortable, supportive pair of sneakers that I fitted with elastic shoes laces so that I can slip my feet in and out of without bending to tie them. These are the sneakers, I have a pair in black and white and my PT's loved them

I also have slippers with rubber soles and supports to wear around the house, I got them at LLBean.

Good luck!

For any laced shoes, I highly recommend HICKIES No Tie Elastic Shoelaces

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.38.36 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Wow - thank you for all of your helpful informative replies and links.

First order of business, I did (I think?) reply to the Valentine Forum to indicate that my Left hip is being replaced on Valentine's day (2-14-18). Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do to be 'legit' in this forum.

Yes - I am a painter (think Layla asked me if I was). I am going to an atelier (fancy word for art school) to further refine my skills and can't wait to get this hip replaced so I can stand and paint and finish my visual thesis.

For now, I am sitting and painting!

I will read all of the generous links and paragraphs. Think I have found some comfy old 'mules' in my closet so don't need to buy any shoes for now.

Have super supportive (mighty fine) husband, some sisters and friends coming to help out after surgery. Have the grabber but need the 'sock putter onner thingie' so thank you for that tip!

Still dreaming and giggling about that heated, raised commode seat !

Y'all are amazing and generous.

Ever grateful for all this info.

A painter on board, how nice! You'll have to show us one of your masterpieces at some point.
Sounds like you're getting into prep mode. Won't be long now, 13 more days until no more hip pain :yes!:
Well I lied....kinda / sorta Your current pain will be replaced with post-op pain.
But....when well managed it's very tolerable and only temporary! I'm happy for you, it's going to be great!
@JHPainter

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member