TKR RAD's recovery thread

I'm thinking of trying some of those ice bags that you break and don't have to have in the freezer just in case
I bought a whole case of the chemical ice packs from Amazon. I use them when we are camping and have no freezer available. They get really cold, but last only about 20 minutes of the intense cold. I do recommend them when you have no frozen ones available.

Reactions: RAD
Thanks @sistersinhim, I was looking at those, I thought it might be a good idea to stow some in my luggage in case I need an ice fix. Is there a particular brand that you purchased? I saw a number of different ones on Amazon.

My particular ones are the PrimaCare brand, though I think they'd all be about the same.

20 mins seems too fast, I think I like the Starbucks ice in the freezy bag idea.

I hope that happens, happy to limp around there anytime!

I bought some for my mom on the trip back. I don’t think they get as cold as good old fashioned ice but they’ll do when there’s nothing else to be had.

I just bought a bag for ice kind of floppy so will shape to the knee in preparation for any trip, anywhere, anytime but preferably Provence. It's kind of ugly but might be perfect provided there is a good supply of ice from someplace. 61ExqewlhsL._SX522_.jpg It's on Amazon, what do you think @RAD

@RAD and @Benay that looks exactly like the one I bought. Remember most bars in Provence have ice if you ask nicely. I also used an elastic velcro strap with mine when I wanted hands free.

Thank you! Does it stay cold for a significant time?

@ Benay, @ lopat, @ lisabl thanks for all the input!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have an old school ice pack like that, great for traveling

@Benay I found my stayed cold for about an hr to 1.5hrs if half filled with ice and no extra water. I also think it depends on how hot your knee normally gets, remember I used mine pre 2nd op. After 1st op I found the gel packs I used stopped feeling cold after 20mins and were body temp warm by 30mins.

Hi! Your thread is so encouraging & gives me hope. I'm excited to hear how your trip goes. I'm going to the beach for a reunion soon. I'll be at 7.5 weeks so I'm just going to be happy to walk on the beach & watch the family play volleyball etc.
I'm excited but nervous about extended time in the car, it's about 7 hours away. We will have lots of ice packs & I can prop up in the back of the van if needed. Lots of breaks to walk around too.
Anyway, thanks for giving me a lift today, I needed it!!

@lisabl I just spoke with my sister in London - I hope you're keeping cool and doing OK. It sounds like the heat is awful there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks