BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] RAD's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by RAD, May 29, 2019.

1. RAD

RAD member

United States United States
    Thanks! Good to hear from you guys! Yes, I went back to work on June 10. Fortunately, I have a desk job and can ice a few times a day! PT is a few minutes from my office so I’ve been going in early and leaving around 4pm for PT 3 times a week. I am really tired, but I’m doing pretty well. Hope you are having a good week!

• Like Like x 4
  2. LaxMom

LaxMom senior

Just caught up with your thread, @RAD - wow, you are doing great! I am so glad I did read it. I am struggling with the oxycodone and had low blood pressure coming into this. And I have done Tramadol before and never want to use it again. You are inspiring me to see if I can wean off this stuff. What a great success you are having! Very happy for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Benay

Benay graduate

Yay @RAD, it's great!

4. Woodpusher

Woodpusher junior member

@RAD, yours was a left knee, driving after 2 weeks?

I was a right knee with suggested back to driving timeframe of 4 weeks. I came back in 3. Seems like it was more about being off opioids rather than being afraid the knee wouldn't react or something while driving.

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  5. RAD

RAD member

Thanks @LaxMom goid luck weaning off. I’ve never regretted getting off opioids ASAP even when I was uncomfortable. They made me feel awful.
    Hi @Benay thanks and I hope you’re doing well.
    @Woodpusher it was my left knee, I agree with you that being off the opioids was the most important thing in going back to driving.

6. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You're back at work very early, so do remember to give your knee plenty of rest, ice and elevation when you're not working.
    Don't overdo the PT - just getting to work and back, as well as what you do at work, seems like plenty of exercise for such a new knee.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RAD

RAD member

Hi Celle,

So far so good with being back at work and PT. My PT is great, doing a lot of massage and stretching, he doesn't beat me up (I wouldn't let him if he tried!) and is very responsive to my input. So far I've been pretty well, my only real issue was on Friday night last week my ankle was swollen due to how much I'd been doing. So over the weekend I rested, elevated and iced a lot and the swelling went down. And I rest, elevate and ice as soon as I get home. I am usually able to ice at work on and off, I keep an ice pack in the freezer and I have a wrap it fits into and I put it on and go about my business! As tired as I am at the end of the day, it is good to be back to being in my work routine.

I wrap up taking Coumadin this week (yay! I miss wine!) and have my first post op appointment with my OS next Thursday. Looking forward to seeing what he thinks....

I have a trip to Europe planned in September, so I'm hoping I'm feeling as well as can be expected by then.

8. Benay

Benay graduate

So good to read your happy, positive posts

• Like Like x 1
  9. RAD

RAD member

Thanks @Benay

I feel lucky to have great support personally. I also have been so fortunate with medical care, from my OS to both my st home and OP PTs.

It’s been wonderful to have this forum!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lopat

lopat junior member

@RAD, glad to hear you’re doing so well. I’m off the opioids as well. Never felt like they affected me one way or the other but was afraid I’d have pain if I quit, so I went a little slower.

Europe? How exciting! I’m jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RAD

RAD member

Hi @lopat, it's great that you are off the opioids! Hope you are feeling good!

My sister lives in London so we go to visit her every year and attach a side trip. We'll go to her first and then she's coming to meet us in Paris at the end of our trip, and we're taking a day trip together (with my husband) to Champagne. Going to Provence in between! Gives me something to look forward to during this summer of healing.

Tomorrow is my last day on Coumadin, so hopefully a glass of wine is in my not too distant future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. lopat

lopat junior member

Good for you. Sounds like great fun.

I have to admit, I snuck a glass of wine while weaning off the Percocet. Some food just HAS to be accompanied by wine......most foods.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RAD

RAD member

I totally agree!! Looking forward to having lunch with wine after my 6 week post op appointment next week!

• Like Like x 1
  14. RAD

RAD member

Gorgeous day here in NYC! Felt so great to go out for a walk in the park and go up and down the stairs of my 3rd floor walk up apartment foot over foot without issue! Was out for about 99 minutes (short break for an iced chai included), so now I’m icing and elevating. I’ve been back at work for 2 weeks, but I’m never on my feet for that kind of extended period. I didn’t think I’d feel this much better less than 6 weeks in. I had very realistic expectations given what my OS and PT told me and what I’ve learned here. Here’s to good days for all!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Benay

Benay graduate

Jealous of the foot over foot. Good for you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. dogwalker2

dogwalker2 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @RAD you are doing so well, truly inspiring. I am on day 18 postop and if I recover half asvquickly as you I shall be delighted! Fab.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RAD

RAD member

Thanks @Benay. Given that I have to do stairs to go in and out, it’s been key for me to make foot over foot happen. Hanging on tight to the bannister, but it’s happening!
    Thanks @dogwalker2, I hope you have a great recovery. It was hard to comeback inside today to elevate and ice, but I’m trying to quit while I’m ahead and not overdo.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RAD

RAD member

BTW when I was getting my tea by the park, saw a guy walking a pig. Not just a potbellied pig, but a regular sized pig on a leash. Looked happy and was incredibly well behaved. A guy who was by us said he lived in the neighborhood and the pig is housebroken. I love NY!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. luvcats

luvcats senior

A trip to Europe sounds like an amazing way to celebrate the new knee. My spouse and I have been discussing all the places we want to see once my knees are upgraded and I can move freely again. I have a sister in Aberdeen and I'd love to go visit before she moves away. Paris is also super high on our list. I spent several years living in France as a child, but my beloved has never been there. Such a lovely trip to look forward to.

• Like Like x 3
  20. RAD

RAD member

Thanks @luvcats. The trip is something fun to look forward to! Also trying to appreciate improvements each week, step by step. Good luck with your surgery, this forum is a great source of support.

• Like Like x 2