TKR RAD's recovery thread

RAD

Country
United States United States
Greetings from the other side.

It’s been 2 weeks since my surgery and things seem to be going pretty well. Hated being on pain meds and was able to get off them day 5 post op. Just using Tylenol for pain every 6 hours. Also on Warfarin since I’ve had a PE in the past.

Had at home PT, my therapist was great. Walking inside and outside with a cane (finished with walker about Day 10). Drove for the first time today which went fine. Icing with Game Ready (30 mins on, 30 off) for at least 8 hours a day. Sleep is on and off but improving, taking 1 Benadryl before bed helps. Starting outpatient PT on Monday, hopefully good progress will continue. ROM 0 for extension and 95 for flex, not too bad.

Welcome to Recovery, @RAD .
I've moved your post and started a recovery thread for you. Please post your recovery updates on this thread now.

Here is the Recovery Reading we give to everyone with a new knee.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to Recovery! :flwrysmile:

Thanks julieskan, I was a little surprised it worked for me. It’s not perfect, but I felt so sick and out of it on the opioids I had to try to tough it out without them. I passed out in the hospital from Oxy and even TramDol made me feel dizzy and sick. Fortunately it’s been OK. Icing like crazy with Game Ready has really helped too.

Hi Jockette, thank you!

I was able to ditch my prescription medications on day 11. It probably was not my smartest move, and it wasn’t because I didn’t need them, but I was upset, in pain, (I had also acquired acute tendinitis in my shoulder, one week post op, thanks to my “therapist” and the Dilaudid I was taking didn’t touch it, the shoulder pain was a 10 and worse than my knee)

I also had a major vision change overnight with my surgery that my surgeon thought could be from the medication, so in a melt down I said no more drugs!

I managed with Tylenol. After several days of only taking one 500 mg per dose I looked at the bottle and read I could take 2 per dose!! Happy Day! :happydance:I took them every 6 hours round the clock for months.

The only reason I came off so fast is because I felt so awful on them. Evidently my blood pressure dropped so quickly on Oxy that I completely blacked out, I’ve never had that happen in my life. It would have made it a bit easier if I would have tolerated TramDol better, but I felt lousy on that too. Thankful I’ve been able to manage so far on Tylenol (and ice)!

Released from at home PT today. At this point I’m using a cane for safety but able to mostly walk unassisted. Have been driving the past few days and that’s gone well. Still not sleeping straight through, still changing position a few times a night. Outpatient PT on Monday, hopefully it will be as helpful as my at home PT, he was great.

I didn’t have any trouble with Oxy , didn’t really like it but it did it’s trick. The one thing is it keep my blood pressure so low, which caused me to be so tired it took me almost 4 weeks to get off of it when I was done I was down to two pills a day but I’m glad I’m off to I don’t think Tylenol does a whole bunch either but I’m taking it

My blood pressure is usually in the normal to lower range which may be why Oxy made me feel so totally out of it. I’m happier feeling some pain and being able to function in other ways.

Outpatient PT on Monday, hopefully it will be as helpful as my at home PT, he was great.
Stay in control of your PT tomorrow and not let them hurt you or cause you to hurt yourself and you'll do great.

I’m happier feeling some pain and being able to function in other ways.
I felt that same way. Each little accomplishment is a success story!

Yes, I will be clear that not regressing in more important to me than quick progress. I have made small improvements each day and haven’t regressed which has been good for my physical and mental state. Thanks!

Yay! That's the way to do it.

Thanks! My outpatient PT is great, definitely shares the same philosophy, slow and steady progress with minimal regression. Was driving and out and about for blood work and PT for about 5 hours and felt good! Resting, elevating and icing now. Walking unassisted, just using a cane for flights of stairs. Will be 3 weeks post op on Wednesday.

Sounds like you're doing great! Always good to hear these stories. TKR recovery is definitely an "individual sport." :)

Reactions: RAD
Thanks, trying not to get ahead of myself. Resting, icing and elevating right now! No PT tomorrow, so just planning on taking a walk. The support here is greatly appreciated!

Three weeks out tomorrow. No PT today so iced, elevated and went for a walk to meet a friend for tea. Very psyched I was able to sit and chat at a table for an hour, then walk home walking up and down stairs feeling pretty good!

@RAD Did I see on someone else's thread that you're back to work? Wow - how's that going? I'm starting to work a little form home, but I don't think I'd do very well going into the office yet... pretty impressive.

Reactions: RAD

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom