Elbow Radial Head Replacement

keiths

Country
United States United States
Hello,

New member here. I recently shattered my radial head and had it replaced 2 weeks ago.

I have been receiving physical therapy 2x per week and do exercises at home. I’m regaining range of motion but notice a strange sensation in my elbow, like it needs to “pop” but can’t.

Is this sensation going to subside or is it likely a new normal?

Do partial replacements tend to last longer than full replacements?

I weight train multiple times per week. My surgeon says I can resume full speed ahead post recovery but my therapist says I should probably dial back on frequency and weight.

Does anybody have personal experience here?

Thank you.

Do partial replacements tend to last longer than full replacements?
The longevity of joint replacements is usually only an issue in major weight bearing joints like the hip and the knee. And you're confusing tow very different things.

A radial head replacement isn't a 'partial' elbow replacement. It's replacement of one part of the radial-humeral joint.

A total elbow replacement is of the major part of the elbow which is between the ulna and the humerus.

This is the anatomy of the elbow joint

elbow anatomy.JPG

And this is the total elbow joint

total elbow replacement.JPG

Does anybody have personal experience here?
Actually, I do believe you are the first!

@keiths - I didn't have replacement but I had surgery 5 days ago from an injury I suffered around 5 weeks ago. The surgery was radial head replacement, ligament fracture repair, Breg telescoping brace. How are you doing now?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts