Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

quick question

trenna

Country
Canada Canada
My dad is going in for a knee replacement on July 10 and some time in November as well. He's using a different OS and hospital than I am. One of the things his hospital makes them buy is a "surgical staple remover" to get their staples taken out post-op. How common is this, making a patient buy something like this? (For location purposes - rural southwestern Ontario, Canada)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@jwadds is from Canada and I believe had to purchase one.
She had to explain to me it was to take to her GP for staple removal.

I thought it was a DIY project!:shocked:

jwadds

Country
Canada Canada
The hospital sent me home with one, so I didn’t have to buy it. It’s a special staple remover, not a regular one. Comes sterilized in packaging. I took it to my family doctor to have my staples removed on day 14. Your family doc may have one? Too bad you are so far away, You could have mine. It’s a sturdy gizmo, not a one use item. I don’t see why they can’t be sterilized and used again.
I had my surgery at UBC Hospital in Vancouver. Fabulous hospital, can’t say enough.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
They should only cost a few dollars. They're not hi tech things. But they should be in a sterile pack.

skin staple remover.JPG

Lucy1

Country
Canada Canada
I'm in Ontario as well and didn't buy one the last time three years ago. Maybe this is new. I'll know next week. I purchased the special CHD soap this time around. Didn't have to do that for the first knee. Little expenses that probably really add up for the hospitals. L

winemama

senior
Country
I guess my question is why some drs use staples, and some internal stitches and glue?? Both mine were glue

BCSAnna

Country
@winemama

I asked my home health care nurse that very question this afternoon. She said it all depends on the surgeon's personal preference. Some like staples some don't.

Anna:flwrysmile:

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
My OS used to use staples, but no longer does. When I asked him about the change to glue, he told me he changed because his patients just don't like staples. I am one of his patients who doesn't like them! They hurt while in, they hurt coming out (at least they hurt me coming out) and they leave visible marks on legs that I can still see from five years ago. I can't say anything positive about staples, except maybe that they hold papers together well.......

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I can't see anything but a very pale incision scar. Getting the staples out wasn't fun, but it was pretty quick. The PA who did it seemed quite skilled.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@kneeper I can actually still see the little lines on my skin where the staples were. Of course, my scar is actually very visible too, some white and some reddish, so maybe my skin doesn't heal as well as most people.

Last edited:

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It did take a long time.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics