BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

Questions.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Fairydell, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This might be a daft question but I will ask it anyway. Would you suggest that the hubs and I will need to sleep in separate beds for the first few weeks while my hip recovers from surgery? It's four weeks today that I am scheduled for the chop and getting really nervous. Starting to put stuff together that I will need post op. Bought a raised toilet seat. Ordered a 'sock aid'. Hunted out the ice packs. Practiced picking things up with a grabber... that gadget is going to be a godsend.... Is there anything else I might need.

How soon after the op will I be able to go for a short walk..
    How soon after the op can I rub 'Bio Oil' on the scar... or isn't that recommended

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave:Look at that date on your signature...Finally you are going to be out of pain!:happydance:
    No, my husband was able to assist the first week with getting up and down for bathroom trips and sometimes to relocate me to the den for resting in the recliner. I didn't do a lot of all night sleeping for the first weeks.

The grabbers are great..but the ice packs are the True godsend!:)

"Short?" Fairly immediately..as in- to bathroom, down the hall to kitchen, etc.

I didn't put anything on mine for months...others may have different views. I wanted all closed up Tight!

You will want to be prepared with stool softeners and foods that help get things going...I didn't and the constipation issue was very unhelpful.
    You are going to do great and I'm really happy for you.:yes:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

hi Fairy Dell

Re the scar. You would have to wait for it to heal completely on the surface before massaging so wait for clearance from the nurses who will be changing the dressings.

Bio oil is good as is E45. I still massage twice a day 7 months in as it helps the muscles too.

Separate beds
    IMHO. This is good idea! Your sleep patterns will be disturbed for a while and you may be quite restless. Hubby may disturb you or vice versa and you will be playing around with pillows cushions etc..

However if you have difficulty getting out of bed in your own you may need him with you!

Also the pain meds usually require a dose at around 2am for which you may need to set an alarm I slept downstairs and had easy access to the downstairs toilet and the fridge!

Walking
    I felt comfortable to walk short distances with two crutches after about 3 weeks but very short walks. I went to one crutch indoors fairly quickly. But we are all different. People who have the anterior approach can often move more and with less pain quicker but we all get there eventually..

The most important thing for me was getting the meds on schedule. Things were a bit rough for the first few days but it did get sorted. Once I was doing the medication myself to schedule it was all fine.

Ice is amazing. I slept with an icepack and used them constantly during the day..

Best of luck!

4. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    We found separate beds worked best and actually still do because doing our stairs on a daily basis was too hard for my hip to cope with. I had too many pillows at hand and in use for anyone else to have room to sleep. I woke at random hours and read for a bit or watched a video, etc. Getting up independently for the bathroom the first 2-4 days may prove a bit hard but you could use a phone to ask for help.

Do you have a leg lifter or a substitute lined up? That is the best way to get independence getting on and off the bed.
    I plan on using a plastic pill reminder box this time with stickers displaying times rather than days in case I get forgetful about when I took a dose. Just refill every night for the next day.
    Sanitary pads that are made for urine leakage. It's very hard to move fast enough the first week and embarrassing to ask anyone to wipe the leg you can't reach :no-fin:
    A little bag that travels with you for medications, water, etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Lola115

Lola115 junior member

A shower bench/stool and long handled loofah/sponge are helpful for bathing. Also having multiple grabbers is a good thing :thumb:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@Fairydell
    I also think Its useful to be in separate beds.

I never slept well for quite a long time and would have kept hubby awake for most of the night. As it is I built a sort of nest in his space, book, radio, remote control, tissues, tablets, phone - you get the picture.

We made sure that both of us had a phone so that I could call if I needed anything but I found I was able to manage the bathroom trips on my own.

Grabbers are wonderful. With op no 3 recently under my belt I have found no end of use for the grabbers. One upstairs and one down.

I agree with @Carriemay60 about the bag. I have a thin cotton bag with long straps that go over my head. Everything that is in my 'nest' moves downstairs in the bag during the day. Of course my husband would move the things for me but any little bit of independence is fiercely fought over in the early days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. mollymum

mollymum new member

Thank you all for these very useful suggestions.
    I'm off to Barbados on Monday for 10 days to help prepare for my April op:heehee::roseshwr: ( it was booked months ago, lol and surgeon has given me permission to go)
    I'll be keeping up to date on my tablet until I get home.

8. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

@Fairydell - we slept in separate beds for 6 weeks until my sleep pattern was back to normal.

The only thing I bought was a high arm chair from a charity shop which I used for the first 2 months. The UK NHS gave me all the basics. I already had ice packs.

Being a man I never used cream and my scar healed nicely - had surgical glue.

The other preparation was to make sure key items were conveniently placed to avoid bending.

9. Mojo333

:rotfl:
    And the consensus is...
    I guess I'm the only selfish hippy on this great forum
    Misery loves company was apparently my motto!:loll:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

Thanks everyone. I am glad I asked... Can I just say that everyone on this forum has been really kind and supportive. From my very first posting here when I was numb with shock to think surgery might be necessary you have all been brill. x

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kernsac

kernsac junior member

my husband and I started sleeping in separate beds when I was still unaware that I would need hip surgery, because I slept with an in Normas body pillow that took up most of the bed. I am between surgeries now, and we still sleep in separate beds, but are talking about him someday moving back into our bed, though we haven’t decided when. we will probably wait until a few weeks after my second surgery. As for short walks, if you are talking about walks outside, I think I started doing those about three weeks out. Your body will help you to know what you are ready for, as well as the advice of physical therapists, etc. I agree that it is useful to have more than one grabber, because if you drop one, you need a second one to pick up the first one. :) happy

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

My wife slept on the couch for the first few nights, I was up to the bathroom a lot and she wanted a whole nights sleep. After that it was sleeping as usual.
    Don't just buy things like a raised toilet seat, use them! You will find quickly if it will work for you or not or if it will need adjustments. 2 days in I'd had enough of the raised toilet seat with handles and after locating one online sent my wife to go get a bedside toilet frame which we placed over the toilet. It wasn't ideal but it was much better. I tried the raised toilet beforehand and it was awkward which just got worse post op.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

Another must have is slip on shoes as it won’t be possible to tie laces for a few weeks

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

To go with the slip on shoes you'll need a long shoe horn. Practice with the sock aid too. I found a little baby powder made it work better especially after a shower.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

I didn’t need the sock device as I had to wear TED stockings for 6 weeks after which I could put socks on normally albeit with a bit of difficulty for a short while. Which reminds me - it is also helpful to have a caring person to help you putting on and taking off the stockings - and to do the daily blood-thinning injections if prescribed and if like me you don’t like needles.

16. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

I bought a cheap toe cleaner device called “Clean Your Toes” from Amazon. Brilliant. I still use it even though I can reach now!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Mojo333

What?
    Now I'm googling.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

It is just a flannel on the end of a piece of plastic but worked very well for me!

19. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

They have changed the name to toe towel!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

7959CBA2-BC50-44D9-B896-71EB7B0F15CD.png

• Friendly Friendly x 1