THR Questions on the road to recovery

That's reassuring. So icing is still normal after four weeks?

And even longer, if you want! :yes:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a great weekend. :)
@Alleypally

Almost at the magic six week mark, but is it that special?

I am wondering whether I can now get rid of the raised toilet seat and the orthopaedic chair, or is it just a matter of when you feel comfortable enough to manage without? Can I safely bend to pick things off the floor now?

Also, is it OK to transition from one crutch (I mostly don't need anything around the house.) to a stick?

Before we can answer your questions can you please tell us if your surgeon put you on any post op restrictions?

Hi @Alleypally ! The 6 week mark is really just an indication that all is well. For all the transitions, I think it's all a matter of when you are feeling ready. At my 6 week post op appointment, my surgeon lifted all restrictions. I went to the appointment with one crutch and he told me to move on to a cane straight away - feels much better. At 9 weeks out I am still using the raised toilet seat - not that I can't cope without, but it's still feeling uncomfortably low!
The main thing for me at 6 weeks was being told that it was ok to drive again. - that was definitely special!

No specific instructions from the surgeon. The hospital issued a booklet but there are no time restrictions mentioned there. I don't have my first appt until seven and a half weeks!

Right then if you have no restrictions then stop using any assistive devices when you feel comfortable. Same with transitioning from a crutch. Be sure and go back to using the crutch if you start to limp.

Bending can be a challenge at first. I used the golfer's reach until I got limber enough to bend again. Be sure and hold onto something stable if you do this.
golfersreach.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back