THR Questions on the road to recovery

Alleypally

Country
Ireland Ireland
I am well into my second week post THR (day 12), and am really happy with progress so far. The wound is healing well, clips are out, and I am regaining mobility much faster than expected. I walked about 500m this afternoon. I am 67.

The only problem is that the compression socks are killing me: making my feet and legs very hot (I don't normally wear socks at all!), and causing my legs to be even more restless than normal. I am on a blood thinning tablet - as I can't take aspirin - and there is absolutely no history of clots or heart problems in my family. While I was in the hospital a few patients were under a consultant who was doing an experiment of wearing the socks for two weeks, but my consultant is a six-week man!

Yesterday, I cut the toes off to get some air to my toes, and this morning I cut the whole foot off to cool my feet, but I am still dutifully trying to wear the socks as much as possible. I am really wondering about persevering to the two week mark, or maybe even at least not wearing them at night. I've done quite a bit of background reading, and it seems that the jury is still out on this one.

I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
Alleypally

@Alleypally Welcome to the forum! If you've been reading some of the recovery threads, you've noticed a lot of posts on the TEDs. Some hipsters were never ordered to wear them at all while others have had to go 4 to 6 weeks. I was told to wear them during the day but to remove them at night. If you're moving around and walking quite a bit during the day plus taking blood thinner, you may be able to escape them at some point. A lot of us have "lost" the stockings in the washer. My dog ate mine after 3 weeks :heehee: I'm not telling you not to wear them, that is up to you. Plus you could call the OS office to see if they'll give you a reprieve on them too. It sounds like you're recovering well. A forum advisor will be on soon with some helpful information to read too. Keep us posted!

@Alleypally Welcome to BoneSmart! You are right - the jury is still out on TEDs. Most of us hated these things! I can't tell you to ignore your surgeon's instruction. However if you are moving around regularly during the day and taking blood thinners then I think the TEDs are a bit over the top. I ditched them at 2 weeks out with the blessing of the nurse practitioner at my GP.

Here's some reading for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart :welome:Thanks for joining us!

Please leave your exact surgery date below and which hip was replaced. The information will be applied as your signature.

It sounds like you're making wonderful progress! Thankfully you're pleased.

The protocol for the compression socks varies widely. I can only relay my experience. I was advised to wear them for twenty hours out of twenty four, until my first post op appointment which was supposed to be at two weeks. Unfortunately it got pushed back due to a national holiday and a vacationing OS. I called at two weeks praying :praying:I could stop wearing them. The PA told me that he'd be happy if I was wearing them half the time. Whew! I believe they set the timeframe keeping in mind that many will wear them less than prescribed, therefore a stricter protocol.

Consider calling the office of your OS explaining your discomfort, informing them of your activity level and mentioning you're taking the blood thinning medication as prescribed. They may cut you some slack and allow you to toss them. Fingers crossed :fingersx: I'll bet at the very least they'll allow you to take them off for a few hours while your active during the day.

Please stop back often. The support and encouragement here is second to none. Hope to see you again soon!
@Alleypally

Yes.
Thank you!

Dear Advisors etc, I have another question, but I am wondering how to end the present thread, and start a new one, or how to change the existing title! Help, please!

Hi @Alleypally
We're allowed one thread in Recovery. However, you can change your thread title.
Please post the new title below, just as you did with your surgery date and it will be changed. Have a great rest of the week!

New title: Questions on the road to recovery

Thanks!

I remember reading somewhere that, at some point, it's a good idea to massage the scar area. Obviously not too early, but I can't remember when! Any advice on the best time to start would be appreciated. Also, with what?

@Alleypally Hello! When is your post op appointment with your OS office? I'm assuming it is coming up soon and I think they are the best ones to tell you, they know more about the techniques used to close your incision, etc.
My post op instructions are to not use lotion/oils or to massage the incision until completely closed.
I see my OS office staff next week at 3 weeks and I am going to ask them to give me an idea after they do their exam. You sound like you are doing really well!! :flwrysmile:

I don't have an appointment till over 7 weeks! The benefit of health care in Ireland are that it's very inexpensive, but there can be long waits, although I can go and see my GP before then. The incision looks really good and clean and the clips are out. Please let me know what you hear next week!

@CricketHip Have you had your post op appointment yet?

Does anyone know how soon I can sleep on my good side? I begin every night on my back, legs raised a bit, but by 3 or 4 am, my back has had enough and I have to sit propped up on pillows which wakes me enough to mean I don't get more than another hour of sleep the rest of the night. Not that my days are so busy that it's a problem, but I would love to be on my side. I will be three weeks post-op tomorrow, but my post-op appointment isn't till seven and a half weeks and I'm not sure I can last that long! Is it OK with a pillow between one's knees?

Hello! Thank you for the reminder. My brain is still so sleepy and sluggish!
I had the superglue technique and it appears like I still have a scab at each end of my incision but the PA inspected it closely and said it’s just extra glue and I’m allowed to start gentle massage with either vitamin E, cocoa butter or Bio Oil. I just did my first “session” on it this morning and it felt so good. :egypdance:

Wonderful! Thank you. That's really helpful.

Thanks @Jaycey That's encouraging. I've actually just ordered a special pillow to go between my knees/legs! Might try to hold out until that arrives which will probably be at about the four week mark!

Yet another question. Pretty much since the hip op, I have had a pain on and off under the knee on that side. There is a sort of swelling and tenderness on the outer underside of the knee. I had thought it was a muscle because there was also a tight 'band' of something under the bottom of the thigh, but the 'lump' doesn't seem to being contracted if I bend or flex my knee! Above the knee there are bands of muscle in the back and front of the thigh that are also sore. It's hard to understand why there should be such a knock-on effect so low down. Does this all just fade with time?

Thanks for your time. It's so great to have someone to ask all these questions to!

Your knee gets grabbed pretty aggressively during the procedure. Many new hippies complain of more knee pain than hip pain. Ice and elevate. Yes, this does fade with time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties